Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going to be making some hot sausage this year if I get a deer. What spices have you used and is there a good prepackaged mix. Thanks, Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Lem makes a really good hot breakfast sausage mix.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Walton’s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like to kick up the Legg's seasonings with what's on the spice rack. Something a little different every time. Makes it interesting. Keep a frying pan hot while mixing things up. Gotta test it as you go. "HOT" is just some level of cayenne though. Jalapeños for some flavor. For hot breakfast sausage I've never gone wrong just adding cayenne to a regular batch of seasoning.

If you get a deer. That's kinda funny, sorry. We're usually saying now what the hell we gonna do with THiS one?? After a dozen or so.

27 pounds of smoked summer sausage was a hit last winter. Gonna hafta do a repeat on that.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Leggs

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep Waltons. Just about every flavor you can ask for. GREAT breakfast sausage mix.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Leggs but I always add red chili flakes for flavor and heat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Peppers make sausage hot.

If you are talking about Hot Italian, the key flavor is Fennel.
NOT that it should be over powering,
like folks do in pumpkin or apple pie.

It's just the note that makes you think "Italian Sausage".

We don't love the anise flavor, especially the BANG you get when you bite
a seed. So after measuring it out, I toss it in a spice grinder and powder it.
Still get the flavor, just avoiding that huge shot.

Cayenne is what we use to put bite in our Italian sausage.

I like to work up our recipes. Buying mixes is like buying a casserole
and heating it up. We enjoy actually making our own stuff.

This site will keep you busy.

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

Don't know where you are, or what's around, or if you get over this way (Bedford)
we have some Amish stores that sell spices in bulk. For about less than a bottle of
McCormick spice, you can get a good sized tub. They sell enough that it's not old.

The cost of a one batch mix will buy more than you would use in a year.
And you an tweak each batch until it's perfect to you.

Hint, a digital scale is indispensable.
I weigh the meat in pounds, the spices in grams.
That makes conversion easy. (Kilograms would be easier but...'murica!)
Work up the recipes in 10 pound batches.
Then if you have a batch that ends up at 12 pounds, multiply your spices by 1.2.
8 lbs x .8.....
Makes things much easier than needing .8 of 1 1/2 teaspoons, or
1.2 of 1/3 cup.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/30/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Just add some red pepper to regular sausage seasoning. Just know it will increase in heat sitting in the freezer.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Waltons for sure

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Waltons sells Excalibur sausage blends, good stuff, but there prices have skyrocketed over the past couple years.

https://waltons.com/

PSSeasoning, is another good one with a huge selection, they too have increased their prices.

https://www.psseasoning.com/

The Sausage Maker, is good , his blends usually come in 50 pound batches where other come in 25.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/

Others to check out on-line.

https://www.alliedkenco.com/

https://www.butcher-packer.com/

My favorite is AC Leggs, they have been around since 1923 and make and excellent product. Their prices are usually about 1/3 - 1/2 as much as the others.

https://aclegg.com/order-now/

Note:
All of these will require shipping and that can be pricey if you only plan on making a small amount.

You can buy sausage blends at places like Cabelas, Fleet Farm, etc., most of these outlets sell Backwoods ( Lem) witch is a fine product as well.

Last edited by steve4102; 08/31/23.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You could just buy the book from sausage maker by Rytek and learn what he's teaching. Once you digest what he writes you can customise any or all of his basic recipes into whatever your little tummy desires. I just took his fresh bratwurst recipe and tweeked it with high temp cheese smoked it also.

Took his sweet Italian and made it fiery and smoked that too, but no cheese, that will happen next time.

Next batch is going to be Kielbasa, added cheese and smoked, with marital discussions of added peppers also.

This stuff is not just more economical than sausage at the store but head and shoulders above in quality. You'll never want to slum it with Johnsonville stuff again, pork shoulder sales prices are made for sausage stuffing season.

Deer baloney is super simple and is very flexible as to heating it up, from mild baloney to nose-hair curling salami.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add fat, pork is my favorite. Deer fat should be all removed as it goes rancid quicker than other fats. I also do not saw through bones, as bone marrow from deer goes rancid fast. I debone all of my meat unless it is a whole shoulder or such, but then I never saw through the bone, i cut throught the joints. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have added that I mix my own spices. Lots of recipes on line. I think some down in the food section here. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends how hot you want them, I use cayenne pepper mixed with Hungarian paprika for heat. I like mine pretty hot so I will put 6.5 cups or 54 oz into 100 lbs of pork meat along with other ingredients.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by llamalover2
You could just buy the book from sausage maker by Rytek and learn what he's teaching. Once you digest what he writes you can customise any or all of his basic recipes into whatever your little tummy desires. I just took his fresh bratwurst recipe and tweeked it with high temp cheese smoked it also.

Took his sweet Italian and made it fiery and smoked that too, but no cheese, that will happen next time.

Next batch is going to be Kielbasa, added cheese and smoked, with marital discussions of added peppers also.

This stuff is not just more economical than sausage at the store but head and shoulders above in quality. You'll never want to slum it with Johnsonville stuff again, pork shoulder sales prices are made for sausage stuffing season.

Deer baloney is super simple and is very flexible as to heating it up, from mild baloney to nose-hair curling salami.
Every sausage maker should have this book.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/product/great-sausage-recipes-and-meat-curing-book/

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leggs and Butcher Packer both make mixes for many kinds of sausage including hot. I don't make sausage from my venison. I prefer to just eat venison straight up. I use pork butts and get a good premium sausage. If I kill a wild hog I do make sausage from that and pork butt.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Use crushed red pepper and some Fennel

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rebel butcher supply also has seasonings.

Used some a few years back.

Do a couple of small tests run and pepper to taste.

I like it, but spicy food first thing in the morning will give me the bubble guts….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 8 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.