Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Wife was hit in her company[ours] vehicle on May 17.
Lady that hit her was ticketed but did NOT reach out to her carrier for 2 weeks.
We used our 'uninsured motorist' coverage to get the ball rolling.
I have been getting the run-around from the bodyshop for 2 months now "we're waiting on this, that, now the battery is dead and possibly alternator bad, etc, etc].
This is a highly rated local Dealership bodyshop.

I rode over yesterday evening[knowing the car was outside], it is sitting in a storage area for 'junked vehicles', the body work is done but a piece or two of trim is missing along with the new wheel which is sitting in front seat, new tire sitting in the rear seat and one interior door panel sitting beside the tire.
The car is sitting there unlocked in a dark area.

I only rented a car for about the 1st 4 weeks going by what the bodyshop was telling us.
We don't carry rental coverage on the 'company vehicles' so I paid it.
I have been sitting on a check from my insurance for the work less deductible and my out of pocket rental, about $2K combined.

My question is: Do I go hammer on the bodyshop or get the insurance company[s] involved?
Or what?

FJB & FJT

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Call your agent. He has an interest in getting the cited driver's insurance to pay.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally I would take pics of the car being "scavenged for parts" in the shop's "boneyard" and send to your insurance company.

I would also rail on the bodyshop...

May 17 is a long time... on a $2k repair... IMHO.

Going full Karen is required at times.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Personally I would take pics of the car being "scavenged for parts" in the shop's "boneyard" and send to your insurance company.

May 17 is a long time ago on a $2k repair... IMHO.

it's a $6K repair[I know, not a $20K, but], I'm currently out of pocket $2K on the rental etc

I want the car back!
We've owned it from new so I know the history and it has less than the average mileage for a vehicle it's age[I can't replace it with what INS would give me for it].

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing

May 17 is a long time... on a $2k repair... IMHO.

This because the dealership will realize when the insurance company, who can get them many cars to work on, says "yeah, this gets fixed or we drop you from the network" - they'll move a little more.

Me

IC B2

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Call your agent. He has an interest in getting the cited driver's insurance to pay.

Her INS has agreed at this point so it is in 'subrogation[?]' .
This is part of the issue IMO, my insurer says that they've done their part but her INS is waiting on a final done deal to take over.
Leaves me somewhat stuck in the middle.

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This is the new America post Covidiocy. Service is a joke mostly and you may or may not get parts you need sooner than 12 months.

Sounds like a goofy deal from the beginning including hawking the other driver about how soon they reported a claim. At this point you're at the mercy of the bodyshop. I never go to a dealer for anything in auto serve or repair.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Raeford
it's a $6K repair[I know, not a $20K, but], I'm currently out of pocket $2K on the rental etc

I misread... either way... I would still go Karen.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Your insurance agent sucks too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
If you get the actual missing parts list and OEM parts numbers... most anything is searchable.

I'll bet you $20 you can find the missing trim pieces on fugging Walmart.com...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My insurance took care of everything and went after the chitbirds insurance through subrogation. Stuff got replaced that wasn't even part of the accident.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have State Farm. A year ago we were hit by an unlicensed/uninsured Mexican. A quick call to our agent and all was taken care of promptly. They dealt with the body shop and I didn't have to anything other than take the car in for the estimate and pay the deductible. State Farm went after the Mexican but soon gave that up. He didn't have anything to go after.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's your vehicle, not theirs. Show up at their storage yard with a tow truck and haul it out of there. Then find a better shop to complete the job. Deduct the cost of the finish-up from their bill and tell them to call your lawyer if they don't like it.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get your agent to make some noise with the body shop, thats what you're paying them for.

Zero sense of urgency out there in service industry anymore...

Little different situation but my dad has a '22 he bought new, dealership is servicing until warranty is up. Last oil change the kid backing it out of the bay ran the drivers side down the bollard post at the shop entrance. To their credit the fessed to it immediately, told him they'd be taking care of it (body shop in house) and they'd get him set up with a comparable vehicle in the meantime.

Well, that was going on 7 weeks ago. They've had him in a demo that is the next trim level up from his pickup. When they gave it to him it had 650 miles on it. Currently sitting just under 5,000. Says he drives through the lot every week or so - his pickup hasn't moved. Asked if he was going to call them and bitch, he said f*ck 'em, I'll keep the miles off mine as long as they want to let it sit. Hopes it takes them all winter, lol.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Little different situation but my dad has a '22 he bought new, dealership is servicing until warranty is up. Last oil change the kid backing it out of the bay ran the drivers side down the bollard post at the shop entrance. To their credit the fessed to it immediately, told him they'd be taking care of it (body shop in house) and they'd get him set up with a comparable vehicle in the meantime.

Well, that was going on 7 weeks ago. They've had him in a demo that is the next trim level up from his pickup. When they gave it to him it had 650 miles on it. Currently sitting just under 5,000. Says he drives through the lot every week or so - his pickup hasn't moved. Asked if he was going to call them and bitch, he said f*ck 'em, I'll keep the miles off mine as long as they want to let it sit. Hopes it takes them all winter, lol.

Genius!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When my wife's car got rearended, I simply called their insurance company and they opened a claim on their side. Didn't have to do squat on my side. Probably should have tried that, I'm sure they would have requested a police report and then reach out to their own driver to get the ball rolling. Now you are going to have to wait for your company to sue them to get their money back when all is said and done, may be awhile before you see any money your way. My buddy went through something similar and paid out of pocket for his rental, he didn't get reimbursed until his truck was fixed and the claim was closed. I know states have different insurance laws but dont know why your agent told you to go that route.

Make sure you get diminished value, dont take their first offer either.

Last edited by killerv; 08/31/23.
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by killerv
When my wife's car got rearended, I simply called their insurance company and they opened a claim on their side. Didn't have to do squat on my side. Probably should have tried that, I'm sure they would have requested a police report and then reach out to their own driver to get the ball rolling. Now you are going to have to wait for your company to sue them to get their money back when all is said and done, make be awhile before you see any money your way. My buddy went through something similar and paid out of pocket for his rental, he didn't get reimbursed until his truck was fixed and the claim was closed. I know states have different insurance laws but dont know why your agent told you to go that route.

Make sure you get diminished value, dont take their first offer either.

I reached out to PoPo immediately, got her INS company, reached out to them.
Their reply was "we ain't doing s**t until we can contact her" which took two weeks, then they accepted responsibility.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Get your agent to make some noise with the body shop, thats what you're paying them for.

Zero sense of urgency out there in service industry anymore...

I'd be awfully careful there! Put excessive miles on their vehicle and they may end up charging mileage!

Kid I knew won the use of a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel for 1 year for winning a rodeo competition.
They were lucky. The kid didn't turn it into a rolling dent and he kept it clean.
What he DIDN'T think about was mileage. He drove the she-I-tee out of that thing!
Put about 70K miles on it.
The dealership deducted 12K miles and charged him for the remaining miles! 🤯
Cost the kid almost all of his winnings!

...and yeah! It was all there in the "fine print" in the contract he signed!

I'm not saying they will, just saying they may have a leg to stand on if the subject comes up!

I've had my best luck with dedicated body shops. A dedicated body shop has more skin in the game than a dealership!
If a real body shop is protecting it's reputation, they won't allow ne'er-do-well body people work.
Dealerships concentrate on "sales". They hire any old Tom, Dick or Harry that claims to be an "ace" body man!

Of course, there is always the fly-by-night, back yard, shade tree body shops that Bond-O and a spray can of Rust-O-Leum is the ultimate answer! LOL!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 08/31/23.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"We used our 'uninsured motorist' coverage to get the ball rolling."

More accurately, you used your Collision Coverage, not your UM coverage.

"Their reply was "we ain't doing s**t until we can contact her" which took two weeks, then they accepted responsibility."

That would be correct, the other Company will not take your word for what happened, so they have to talk with their client.

When the other Company accepted liability, you should have gotten a rental car on their nickel, and, since you paid for a rental out-of-pocket for the first 2 weeks, they should pay for that as well. When the other Company is paying $40 Per Day for a rental, I can assure you, they will push the body shop for quicker repairs.

Moving forward, contact the body shop manager (not the service writer, the manager) and push to get the repairs done. If they are waiting for some trim pieces, as them if you can bring the car back after the parts come in.

Contact the other Company adjuster and give them your rental receipts, and any other receipts pertinent to the accident, and tell them you still need a rental car, asap.

If the adjuster is slow to respond, get ahold of their manager.

Call your agent, and have them get involved with the other Company's adjuster, on your behalf. I've been a Broker for 33 years, and running interference for my client is something I do frequently. If your broker/agent won't do this, get another broker.

When you talk to the other Adjuster, have this phrase ready : "I just want my car repaired and to be reimbursed for my expenses, I really don't want to get the State Insurance Commissioner involved".

In many States, the Insurance Commissioner carry's a big stick, and very few insurance companies want to have a complaint lodged against them at the Commissioner office. Using my phrasing, or something similar, lets the adjuster know, that you know, about the Commissioner, without threatening the adjuster.

Good luck!

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks K22,
My INS did file under the 'uninsured motorist' provision which is why there was no rental coverage and the $250 deductible[I have the check and corresponding paperwork showing this] as we have a $500 deductible and rental coverage for 'collision'.

I am well aware of using the Insurance Commissioner as my brother was a FB then independent agent for many years[we're getting close].

I sent a fairly concise email to all involved[insurance] this morning stating that my next email regarding this would be the State Commissioner.

Have not heard anything back from agency/my carrier/her carrier yet.

The wife made a surprise visit to the bodyshop this morning after seeing the pics of and where 'her' vehicle was sitting.
She is fairly good friends with one of the 3 siblings that own the dealership but has been trying to avoid using that card...so far, but service & body knows this and her appearance this morning 'got them hopping around' according to her.

We'll see, just want to vehicle back to take some pressure of of other[nicer] vehicles.

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.