Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
R
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Just remember, there's a 30-06 in every 7mm PRC! But there isn't a 7mm PRC in any 30-06! Lol!

Just having some fun, don't get your panties in a knot...

For the record, I like them all, and just don't understand knocking any of them, old or new! Too much cool stuff out there!

This. The classics are always gonna be classics, but Im always excited to see the new stuff that people come up with

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You could always take a pic,with today's date,with "all" that ammo and REALLY "show" her. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t?

Chose a 308 Winchester in 1978 for my first hunting cartridge. I still do today. I have 8 of them. Though I have other chambering, I still prefer my 308.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The 308 Win started by looking at the 300 Savage! 2 great cartridges!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The 308 Win started by looking at the 300 Savage! 2 great cartridges!
I certainly agree! And I'm not against new, but after I finally got a 30-06, it just became so plain, the versatility of this cartridge for really every continent, is unreal! RB statement of the 7mm PRC, never being a 06, it's true. But that don't take away from some very extreme possibilities for it!
I'd still like to have an old Mauser in 7x57, but don't need it! And my favorite rifle for around here is still one my 30-30's Levers, just love em! But the 7PRC, it don't interest me, but the old 300 Savage, that's interesting! It's a wonderful world this gun world!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Once the Good Lord created the .338Win Mag he saw that it was Good and took the next day off. 😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I run a .308, have for years. Before that, it was an ‘06. Both have done what I needed, never felt I needed more. I live in southern MO, not more than a 300 yard shot where I hunt, and all my deer but one have been at less than 100 yards, the vast majority around 20 yards. I could have use my 4-3/8” Ruger SBH in .44 Mag for most of them. Or a 10-22, if the rules were not an issue.

That said, I do shoot out to 1000 yards, and that is a long poke for a .308. Been looking at the 7 prc as an everything rifle. Factory loads that will kill anything, anywhere I will ever hunt. I am headed west in a few years, to stay, so that wind drift reduction could be handy, both for hunting and target shooting. Yeah, a lot of its benefit over an ‘06 comes into play out past 500 yards. And under 500 yards, it will do anything an ‘06 will do as well, maybe better. So as a one gun solution for everything I do, or plan to, it looks pretty decent. Running bullets in similar weights to normal 30-06 bullets, at higher speeds and better bc’s is not a negative.

The 6.8 Western caught my eye for a second. Then I thought about Winchester’s abysmal support of their recent cartridges such as the 7WSM and others, and it lost me. Hate belted cartridges. This PRC has a lot of what I like, and very little I don’t. But I am simply looking at it as a versatile cartridge I can buy a good factory load for and spend my time out shooting it. The second coming of Jesus, it ain’t. It isn’t the devil, either, just another cartridge among many. Some have a use for it, others may not.

Last edited by APredator; 09/01/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Windknot
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I suppose when I was younger a new cartridge rolling on the scene was sorta interesting. As I get older, it seems I just chuckle a bit and think to myself … what can this chambering do that my 30/06 can’t? I’m sure you’ll hear from folks claiming some sorta niche it may be capable of but I got to ask myself is it something we all really were looking for? Simplicity is what satisfies myself these days. I guess we will see how much marketing is dumped into another cartridge.
At 64 and tired of BS, you're exactly right! I kinda chuckle too, and kinda see Bearclaw Chris Lapp, riding into Jeremiah's camp, see him in his older age, staring into the fire, and see all that confusion in his head, about what cartridge to shoot next, which rifle???
Bearclaw just feels pity, says, "You've come far Pilgrim! Twere it worth the trouble!?"
Eventually Bearclaw mounts up to ride off. In his Saddle Bag, several cans powder, all 4350 & 4064. And a mule just to pack his vast array of bullets, mostly Speer H.C. & Nosler Partitions, from 125gr to 225gr!! And Bearclaws last comment is,
"An 06 will get it done from here well past the Mussel Shell! Good thing to know when times get hard! I bid you a Farewell!"

This was great! Love it! Huge .30-06 fan here!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Once the Good Lord created the .338Win Mag he saw that it was Good and took the next day off. 😀
I’ll agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JPro
I see where now the 160gr .284 Hornady CX is out, carrying a BC of right at .600, not far off the old 162 A-Max. They claim it needs a 1-8 twist to spin it and the 7mm PRC factory load advertises 3,000FPS. For a near/far moderately-recoiling hunting combo that should penetrate deep from nearly any angle, that combo looks fairly tough to beat.

Meh, it's actually fairly easy to beat that CX crap into a bloody squirming mess

I'm slinging the 187 gr Afterburner at 3500 fps, it's designed to open up down to 1650 fps with that aluminum tip and big asz hollow point under it, get 1683 fps at 1500 yards for 1200 ft lbs... Now that's a near/far bullet/cartridge combo

that 7 PRiC ain't got shyte over the 7mm Rem and 7mm Wby, and they've never been that great for long range hunting to begin with

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I see where now the 160gr .284 Hornady CX is out, carrying a BC of right at .600, not far off the old 162 A-Max. They claim it needs a 1-8 twist to spin it and the 7mm PRC factory load advertises 3,000FPS. For a near/far moderately-recoiling hunting combo that should penetrate deep from nearly any angle, that combo looks fairly tough to beat.

Meh, it's actually fairly easy to beat that CX crap into a bloody squirming mess

I'm slinging the 187 gr Afterburner at 3500 fps, it's designed to open up down to 1650 fps with that aluminum tip and big asz hollow point under it, get 1683 fps at 1500 yards for 1200 ft lbs... Now that's a near/far bullet/cartridge combo

that 7 PRiC ain't got shyte over the 7mm Rem and 7mm Wby, and they've never been that great for long range hunting to begin with

That 187 in a 7-30 waters would be the cats ass…

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 79S

nope, that's a 30 cal bullet

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
R

7PRC actually keeps up pretty well with the 7mm Wby, with the slight edge going to the 7mm Wby. The 7PRC actually way out performs the 7mm Rem Mag on paper. Also dont have to deal with that belted case crap as a reloader.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

nope, that's a 30 cal bullet

Ok in a 30-30 then. Be shooting to the moon.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RobHazmat

7PRC actually keeps up pretty well with the 7mm Wby, with the slight edge going to the 7mm Wby. The 7PRC actually way out performs the 7mm Rem Mag on paper. Also dont have to deal with that belted case crap as a reloader.

The 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Wby are the same fhuqking case. They are birds of a feather,when talking like barrel length/pressure. Hint.

Pass the 7mm RemMag,the .796 BC 180 ELD and hold The Fluff. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
New guns, calibers, bullets, etc-- it all boils down to genareting revenue

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That's true of ALL of it....

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's true of ALL of it....

.... but we're getting to the point that most new offerings are more or less redundant.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Hurt Feeler Reports from The Do NOTHING Gang,are funnier than fhuqk. Perhaps consider holding your breath,for MAXIMUM "effect",as you Hissy your Fit(s)...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The 284 Prick does what NOTHING ever has before and that is to combine a .796 BC at nearly 3000fps in Factory Fodder,with Factory Rifles expressly engineered to house same. Bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps ladies,if only to your collective Brokedick Whining chagrin. Hint.

For you MOST Tender Of CLUELESS Kchunts,simply cite the chamberings and projectiles,which spare your VERY Tender Feelings. This will make Direct Hits even easier,on your Estrogen fueled Emotions. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.