Hop To
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey, folks,

I just moved to Clarksville this year, from Seattle, WA. I have hunted up in Kentucky on my brother-in-law's property last year, which was my first ever deer hunt, but I have never hunted public land. Tennessee Unit L, where I am, has a season from Dec. 15 - Jan. 6, and I thought I might try to do some hunting, but I really don't even know where to start. It's very late in the game, obviously ... I actually just intended to hunt in KY with my brother-in-law, but things have been so hectic this year that I missed rifle season, and this is the last weekend of muzzleloader season, but I'm sick and don't think I can go.

So ... does anyone have any tips for someone who is fairly new to hunting, doesn't know the area he now lives in, and is feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of hunting public land for the first time? Should I just resign myself to waiting until next year, since it's so late in the year?

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not looking for a trophy, just some time in the woods and hopefully some meat in the freezer. A doe is more than fine (and I see that TN has a "Type 094 permit" that I'll need for antlerless deer).

Thanks for any advice!

All the best,
Liam

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out Stewart State Forest in Stewart county. We use to hunt out there for years until we picked up a lease and did very well there. Haven't been out there in a few years but it use to have a bunch of deer on it. Its about 15 mins outside of Dover going towards Cumberland City. I shot a 13 point that dressed 196 lbs. there back in 1996.

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you are right there, check out the hunting on Ft. Campbell. It is luck of the draw for areas but some big deer come out of there. You can find info and maps on the internet.

L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for the advice, guys ... appreciate it very much!

Liam

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Might as well get a tag if you can and find an area close to you to hunt. At the very least it will let you learn the lay of the land for next season. Can't learn nothing by staying home. Good luck.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can't help you at all with the hunting, sorry.

But I can tell you, if you're not aware, that you're in the home town of one of the best shooting supply places around:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Been dealing with this outfit since the late 70's. Great prices, and great people, they can't be beat.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Wink_man

But I can tell you, if you're not aware, that you're in the home town of one of the best shooting supply places around:

Been dealing with this outfit since the late 70's. Great prices, and great people, they can't be beat.

Yep, great folks. I bought a good amount of stuff from them when I was out in Seattle, from reloading gear to muzzleloaders and muzzleloading supplies.

Great place! Do you know if they have a storefront you can walk in, or is it internet / mail order only?

Thanks!
Liam

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That sounds like the place to hang out, if your'e looking for local info.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by liam
Originally Posted by Wink_man

Yep, great folks. I bought a good amount of stuff from them when I was out in Seattle, from reloading gear to muzzleloaders and muzzleloading supplies.

Great place! Do you know if they have a storefront you can walk in, or is it internet / mail order only?

Thanks!
Liam

Liam, I have no clue, but I have seen in their catalogs in the past that you can pick things up there, such as gunpowder, etc, instead of having it shipped, but if they have a storefront, I don't know, I'd call and ask them if I were you.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 12savage, 68 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,302
Posts18,505,380
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.