-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several Model 70s from the '90s with triggers that were honed, polished and adjusted by a highly regarded gunsmith and they are simply like nothing I've ever experienced elsewhere, so crisp and clean. I have a safe full of Trigger Techs which I like but not nearly as much when I pull a 70 out of the safe and fry fire it!

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m still waiting for triggertech to bring out their m70 replacement. Not that the moa is horrible as is, but …

If it's a box trigger, like the Timney, it will be a total lateral move. That's one thing guys don't understand. There's a lot of griping about what the MOA is not. Guys just assume it's a schidt trigger because they hear frumpy old guys biotching about it not being the old tried and true super reliable simple trigger. This is the reason, not because the MOA is a horrible trigger.
Grumpy old guy agrees.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I pull a 70 out of the safe and fry fire it!

Thought I'd heard or thought about just about everything........but never heard of fry firing a trigger before confused

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The MOA trigger can be pretty decent with aftermarket springs installed. I have three rifles so equipped. One of the triggers is outstanding, and the other two are very acceptable. Whether or not the MOAs are as reliable as the original design is another question altogether. Since I rarely hunt in harsh weather (we just don't often have to deal with that down here) it's not an issue for me.

Good post RiverRider. I actually like the feel of the MOA trigger. That is after an ernie the gunsmith spring install though. They are very crisp and smooth with little to no creep. Very clean breaking trigger. However, like Pappy said, "it's a needless complication for a hunting trigger". The reason why they changed it is because it's a BACO: Browning Arms Company rifle. Some guys get butt hurt when you call them that, but that is exactly what they are. Browning had to throw their trigger into that rifle because they thought it was better. In extremely harsh conditions it's not going to be, because it's a box trigger. Get a little moisture in there and when it freezes up, it's useless.
My model 70 wears a Jewell trigger. I have hunted the chit out that rifle and in harsher conditions than most. It hasn't missed a beat.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guys who wax on about the New Haven open trigger have pretty low expections. They where crudly cast using the MIM process and never were worth a darn even when tuned by a competent model 70 Smith. The surfaces when stoned never smoothed up like the pre 64 because the grain structure of the cast metal was coarse. In addition you can't set one to 2lbs safely in most cases and certainly not below that. I promptly replace that poorly executed New Haven trigger with a Jewell on every NH gun I've owned.

The one MOA trigger I have is great with a simple trigger spring and a look over by my gunsmith.

The BACO rifles in general are much better machined and finished than the best New Haven guns and light years ahead of the latter New Haven guns.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Thought I'd heard or thought about just about everything........but never heard of fry firing a trigger before confused
Melts the ice that jams the trigger overnight🤣

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Melts the ice that jams the trigger overnight🤣

Must work wonders, I guess?? I thought that is what my buddy called it when he and his friends fired off 200 rounds (yes, 10 boxes of expensive factory fu cking ammo), one day, through his BACO 300wsm EW when it was shooting like schidt. He said, "it would either shoot better when he was done, or it would need a new barrel"... I later asked why he didn't just buy a Tubs fire lapping kit for the sob... Now he asks me why he's getting split necks when he fires that rifle.. I give up!!! He's also the same friend that was using some of those bad Winchester primers in that rifle and now his bolt face is etched very badly. I just shake my head sometimes.. I did change the trigger spring in that rifle and it made a nice difference, just like all the other BACO moa triggers I changed the springs on. Brought the pull weight down to 2.5 pounds on his rifle. That's about what I got on all the others. One of my 300WSM's was a consistent 2 3/8 pounds and it was very useable. That ernie the gunsmith spring really does help, for the most part.. I wouldn't have a MOA without one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
That trigger has been out for 14 years now, and I've only seen one example of a freeze up online.
I think they are fine, and FN is not known for making unreliable designs. The pull is decent and crisp even if around 4 pounds. Once used to it, you'll be good with all the other FN model 70s.

If I wanted lighter pull, I'd probably get a Timney or some-such.

Given that the Tikka T3 survived rigorous Canadian government testing in the arctic to become the official Ranger rifle, I'm not *that* fussed about enclosed designs. Also, people always talk about their go to Marlins, and I would have thought if anything were to freeze c--k stiff it would be those (and I really like Marlins too). As long as take down is easy and I can deal with the issue, no worries.

Seen rifles of every type and stripe being beat to schitz in the arctic. I think most things are less crucial than the nail-biting on forums. That said, I do agree that simpler is better and would take an FN M70 over most other rifles as I trust the design. Lots of factory-to-landfill junk out there. I also like that it's a platform for everything from .22-250 to .458 WM in all shapes and sizes.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 10/21/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a model 70 with the MOA trigger in 2011.....

I have no complaints about the trigger even though the 4.75# factory pull weight setting may be a bit much.

It a nice crisp trigger......as was the new haven trigger on a 1991 model 70 ranger ADL

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
That trigger has been out for 14 years now, and I've only seen one example of a freeze up online.

Turns out that freeze-up was a classic model with the old design. So I haven't seen any examples of failure with the MOA trigger, but I have seen a failure with the old trigger. Go figure. smile

Looks like a pretty simple design even if it is enclosed:

Last edited by philthygeezer; 11/02/22.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Turns out that freeze-up was a classic model with the old design. So I haven't seen any examples of failure with the MOA trigger, but I have seen a failure with the old trigger. Go figure. smile

Looks like a pretty simple design even if it is enclosed:

Enclosed triggers get a bad rap because of the Remington 700 design. The safety lever alot at the back of the action is a funnel for water into the trigger group. The model 70 does not have this poor design and the trigger is pretty isolated from the outside of the action.
I've hunted in fouler weather than most and have never had my model 70 with a Jewell enclosed trigger miss a beat. Also haven't had a BACO trigger issue either but to be honest I only hunted it for three years before I sold it to my brother. He has had no trigger issues either.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The MOA design looks simple enough:

[Linked Image from winchesterguns.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up in Alaska using old style Mod. 70 triggers and consider it and the ability to field strip the bolt with out tools the best features of the old Mod. 70's. I only hunt with an old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and a late 80's custom Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" .338.

Both triggers are gun smith tuned to a crisp 3 lbs. and were "drop" tested after the stocks were solidly bedded.

I like the rigger on my Tikka T3X Superlite, a crisp 2 lbs. But, it is also shot off of the bench more then any rifle I own.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Again, given all the working Tikkas and Sakos in the arctic, including the extensively tested Canadian Ranger Tikka T3, I don't think I'm that worried. Especially when the one arctic failure I see online is a Classic model.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Two stage Tikka T3X Arctic model trigger designed especially for the Canadian Ranger Rifle, which was tested in and will undergo heavy arctic usage:

[Linked Image from recoilweb.com]

https://www.recoilweb.com/tikka-t3x-arctic-131608.html

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a BACO EW bought in 2012 in a 243....and my MOA trigger breaks at 2.8 lb. Got a NH Stainless Classic in 308 bought in 1993 with the old style trigger....it breaks at 2.3 lb. Can't really tell ant difference when you squeeze off a round on a buck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 29 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.