Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
+4 Thermopylae

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC
Ancient Battle: The Battle of Agincourt in 1415. England gave France a royal ass kicking even though they were drastically outnumbered and fighting out of desperation. France lost over 6000 men killed in just a couple of hours. It was an epic battle between knights in armor, heavy cavalry and archers. It would have been something to sit on a hill and just watch it unfold.

It goes that after an unexpected victory, the English soldiers mocked the defeated French troops by waving their middle fingers ( here ). The image makes the further claim that the English soldiers chanted “pluck yew”, ostensibly in reference to the drawing of the longbow.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JeffyD
The Battle of San Juan Hill (or more historically correct, Kettle Hill).

Always been a fan of T. R. and the Rough Riders.

My sister worked at Bay Pines V.A. hospital in Tampa, and one of her patients was the last veteran of the Spanish-American War.

As a teen, I was privileged to meet some of the surviving Rough Riders.
6 in 1966, and 4 (IIRC) in 1967. The Rough Riders Reunion used to be held in our town. Many recruits were from our area.
I met them during the festivities, as I worked at the rodeo back then.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
As much as I admire G Washington, Jumonville Glen was his fault.
The French were there seeking a commander to parlay with, just as Washington himself had went to Ft Lebouf the year before.
Nobody knows who gave the order to fire, or who shot first.
But the chief “Half King” was part of Washington’s force, a guide I think, and he killed the young ensign Jumonville in cold blood.
A lot of politics among the Indians, the British and the French over who had the right to what.
But getting back to my original thoughts.
I believe that Travis drew his sword across the sand. And I believe that Bowie had his men carry his cot over the line to join Crockett and his men.
These, and many other “myths” make up my America!
“You got to stand for something” or you’ll fall for anything.
I know that Christ salvation is true, and I know what this country means to me!
What do YOU believe in?
7mm

The fight was coming. It was just a matter of when and where. Likely Half King had his own agenda to fulfill....... And he did!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Half King was losing his authority among (I think) the Mingos? A conglomeration of the Delaware, The Shawnee and some smaller tribes just west of Pittsburgh on The Ohio.
It was Half King “Tanagresson” who brought the French to Washington’s attention.
He and his men (Virginia Militia), followed Half King to the French camp through a rainy dark, 15 mile march.
It’s a mixed up story for sure.
Washington made quite a few mistakes during the French & Indian War. I have been to Ft Necessity, and I’m thinking what the hell was he thinking? frown
A little half assed stockade, surrounded by forested hills.
Can you say “Death trap”?
But these hard earned lessons, I think, served him well 20 years later. He was the man who held our ragtag Army together for victory.
See what I mean about these myths, maybe being more important than what actually happened? “Uncle Hub’s” speech are words of wisdom! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Half King was losing his authority among (I think) the Mingos? A conglomeration of the Delaware, The Shawnee and some smaller tribes just west of Pittsburgh on The Ohio.
It was Half King “Tanagresson” who brought the French to Washington’s attention.
He and his men (Virginia Militia), followed Half King to the French camp through a rainy dark, 15 mile march.
It’s a mixed up story for sure.
Washington made quite a few mistakes during the French & Indian War. I have been to Ft Necessity, and I’m thinking what the hell was he thinking? frown
A little half assed stockade, surrounded by forested hills.
Can you say “Death trap”?
But these hard earned lessons, I think, served him well 20 years later. He was the man who held our ragtag Army together for victory.
See what I mean about these myths, maybe being more important than what actually happened? “Uncle Hub’s” speech are words of wisdom! grin
7mm

Washington was lucky that the French didn’t execute him. His signed admission for the death of Jumonville meant nothing. Yep, Washington learned a lot of painful/valuable lessons in SW Pa.!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Battle of Thermopylae. I would also like to have been at the sandbar and watched JB do his stuff!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You guys sure know your history. I nominate Culloden or just follow Charles Martel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say either The Alamo or King's Mountain. I had an ancestor at King's Mountain. He didn't appreciate Major Ferguson threatening to castorate him.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by tdoyka
September 11, 2001, The Battle of Flight 93, where American Citizens decided to stop and kill Al-Qaeda terrorists plan.
It wouldn’t make my list but it would be interesting to learn if it happened as told or if they were shot down and given a hero’s tale.

it happened the way it was told. there was phone calls by the people who died. there is a flight recording. there was no military jet or even the attempt of shooting it down.

i sit 19 miles north of the crash site.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-revealed-new-Mitchell-Zuckoff-book.html

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a5688/debunking-911-myths-flight-93/

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bosworth, 1485.

Richard III, seeing the bookish Henry Tudor exposed on the battlefield, rolls the dice and risks it all on one throw. Leads his knights in a magnificent charge around the battle, closes in on Henry.

Richard wasn’t expecting the Norman mercenaries who form up in front of Henry with their pikes, blunting the impact of his charge. At the head of the wedge formation, Richard breaks through anyway, breaking his lance in the process.

Just off to Richard’s left, Sir William Stanley, ostensibly Richard’s ally, holds his force in check, waiting to see which way the battle will go. Seeing Richard with his retinue crossing his front, Stanley sees his opportunity and opts for the Tudor side, throwing his whole force against Richard.

With his broken lance the 5’ 7” Richard, despite his curved spine, strikes the giant 6’ 8” jousting champion John Cheyne and knocks him off his horse. Henry, seeing Richard closing in, dismounts and hides behind his men. Richard next kills Henry’s standard bearer Sir William Brandon and some say came within a sword’s length of Henry just as Spencer’s force came crashing in. Richard’s horse bogs down in marshy ground and he dismounts, going down fighting against overwhelming odds.

English history turned on a dime with that last charge of mounted knights in England, the end of the Middle Ages, the rise of the Tudors. That I would like to see.

Richard’s grave was found under a parking lot 527 years later.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/03/23.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of the following from books so FWIW….

To the best of my knowledge the Mingos were Iroquois, largely Senecas, that had moved west into the Ohio country. Of course by then there had been much disruption and displacement due to the advancing frontier and there had always been a lot of intermarriage between tribes anyway.

So Iroquoian-speaking tribes like the Iroquois, Huron (AKA Miami and and Wyandot) were mingling to varying extent with Algonquian-speakers like the Delaware and Shawnee. Later on a branch of the Delawares were actually incorporated on the Iroquoian-speaking Cherokee tribal rolls.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1. Battle of Thermopylae.
2. Battle of Isangard.
3. Spartacus's victories over Varius and later Claudianus.
4. Alamo
5. The Teutoburg Forest (9 CE) ...... or one of the other humiliating defeats when Rome was at its greatest power.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ironic that historic battles and longest marriage threads are adjacent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Battle of Britain has always intrigued me. I've watched movies and read first hand accounts, and have never really gotten tired of hearing about Spitfires and Me-109's. I believe that if Germany had succeeded, the world as we know might look a lot different.

Here in the states, I've always thought that if the South had won the battle of Gettysburg, and it should have, the war might very well have had a different outcome. We'll never know about these things, but we can always speculate.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Last edited by DaveinWV; 09/03/23.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
How's it that no one has yet suggested Omaha Beach? I had a great uncle in the third wave, so that's obviously a choice for me. Other suggestions:

Medieval: Battle of Harlaw, 1411; Scotland's largest clan battle, highlanders vs. lowlanders.
Naval: Lepanto, 1571; the last naval battle with rowed vessels, stopped the advance of the Ottomans and saved Europe in much the same way Martel did.
Amercian Civil war: A toss up for me between the battle of Missionary Ridge or the first day of Gettysburg

Missionary Ridge was the rare sort of battle where the entire thing was visible and on display to nearly everyone involved. It would have been something to see the entire Union order of battle advancing up the hill towards the confederate defenders.

The first day of Gettysburg was a charnel-house slugfest between US and CS regiments that stubbornly stood fast and just killed each other. Casualty rates of the units involved on both sides that day were commonly in excess of 60% and often in the realm of 75%. Particularly, I would like to see the events of the change of front under fire by Stone's Brigade at the McPherson farm. Events of the second and third days get more attention, but the first day set the stage for those events and in some ways assured victory for Meade.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Tours 732. Charles the hammer pushed back Islam. High water mark of islam in europe

Thermopylae

Zama. Hannibal defeated in a heavyweight fight of all time. Scipios vs Barcas. Rome vs Carthage

Midway.

Beware of the man with one gun. He is a newbie
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bloody Shiloh.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm sure it's small compared to many others mentioned here. but the Battle of Wilson's Creek during the civil war is quite neat to me because it's fairly local and there is a national park I guess you would say in historic site there to tour.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 163bc, 1badf350, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,489
Posts18,529,748
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.