Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Why do so many rifle manufacturers use a 13.75" LOP on synthetic stocks? It's easier to add length than to shorten it IME.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just catering to the masses as a 13.75” LOP is considered a standard length by many rifle manufacturers. Who wants to buy a rifle and have to add length to the stock? I think it’s easier to shorten a stock.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
To clarify, injection molded stocks. I was looking at several different brands and all had a 13.75" LOP.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Because there are very few hunters left. There are shooters that hunt, but by in large most sit on their butts to kill. Very few still hunters around that understand a long LOP, with hunting clothing on, does nothing to help. Too damn many people sitting in heated blinds with Go Pros.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Portside2
Because there are very few hunters left. There are shooters that hunt, but by in large most sit on their butts to kill. Very few still hunters around that understand a long LOP, with hunting clothing on, does nothing to help. Too damn many people sitting in heated blinds with Go Pros.
are you saying that a 13 3/4 length of pull is too long for the average,?

that may be but not for all of us LOL a good shotgun fitting mine is over 15 and a half inch length of pull. a rifle at the custom stock I usually like to get around 14 1/2- 15 but not everybody has a 37-in sleeve length ..

Last edited by ldholton; 09/03/23.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Shotgun and rifle are different. It's far easier to accommodate a shorter LOP, when wearing 4 layers of clothing while still hunting with a rifle than it is to deal with a longer LOP. I typed that slowly for you.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ldholton
are you saying that a 13 3/4 length of pull is too long for the average,?

that may be but not for all of us LOL a good shotgun fitting mine is over 15 and a half inch length of pull. a rifle at the custom stock I usually like to get around 14 1/2- 15 but not everybody has a 37-in sleeve length ..

I am in the same boat as you with all of those measurements. I have to think when I sell a custom... do I need to cut the stock down to actually sell this rifle or is there another giant with the same taste as me?

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Why do so many rifle manufacturers use a 13.75" LOP on synthetic stocks? It's easier to add length than to shorten it IME.

Because most are skinny or fat-asses, with no muscle to get in the way, and shoot with a scope from a bench.

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 5'10" with 73" arm span so a bit of an ape in that regard but gravitated to an LOP of 13.0" or less. Have had no problem working the bolt or adjusting to eye relief with standard mount scopes, LER scopes or iron sights. The shorter LOP is easier to mount the butt quickly for quick shots, regardless of clothing or wearing a pack. I've read that 03' Springfields, M1 Garands etc. were fitted with shorter stalks to fit a broader range of troops and somehow the taller guys adjusted just fine.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO
I'm 5'10" with 73" arm span so a bit of an ape in that regard but gravitated to an LOP of 13.0" or less. Have had no problem working the bolt or adjusting to eye relief with standard mount scopes, LER scopes or iron sights. The shorter LOP is easier to mount the butt quickly for quick shots, regardless of clothing or wearing a pack. I've read that 03' Springfields, M1 Garands etc. were fitted with shorter stalks to fit a broader range of troops and somehow the taller guys adjusted just fine.

Prefer the 12.50-75" LoP on the M1, and cut down my rifles to that whenever possible.

Can hardly run the bolt on a std 13.75" stocked rifle w/o dismounting it, because of pectoral muscle flex.

6'-1", 74" arm span.

GR

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Portside2
Shotgun and rifle are different. It's far easier to accommodate a shorter LOP, when wearing 4 layers of clothing while still hunting with a rifle than it is to deal with a longer LOP. I typed that slowly for you.
I agree. A 13 1/2” lop works just fine for me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
14.25 is about ideal for me. Keeps the recoil off of my cheek bone. a nice high comb seems to help too. Everybody's mileage very's on this one.

Last edited by 25aught6; 09/04/23.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not tall so a 13 1/4 to 13 1/2 LOP works best for me. That means that a lot of factory stocks require shortening for me to get a good fit. This is actually a factor for me in deciding what brand of rifle to buy since shortening is an extra expense and I don't have the skills or equipment to do a nice clean job myself.

I think Americans are larger than they used to be, on average. That may be part of the reason more factory stocks seem to be longer these days. But as others have pointed out, shooting from a bench is different from shooting in the field and that is probably another factor.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
To clarify, injection molded stocks. I was looking at several different brands and all had a 13.75" LOP.

Not sure how you’re going about stock length modifications but I consider it much easier to cut stocks shorter than lengthen stocks regardless of construction.

I just shortened my youngest daughters injection molded tikka t1 stock to 11 inches and had no issues. Pm me if you’re interested and I can walk you through it. Took less than an hour to cut, attach and shape the pad

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The rule-of-thumb I've heard from more than one custom stockmaker and rifle builder is a 13.5" LOP for shooters standing 5'9", and .1" difference for every inch under or over that height. (5'9" is the average height for American males, though that tends to shrink with age.) This also works for women, who tend to have longer arms than men--unless the have larger than average, uh, chests.

For many years the standard LOP for American factory rifles was 13.5", to accommodate the average man, but we've tended to not only average taller but, especially, heavier than we used to. Which is probably the reason for the slightly longer LOP on many factory rifles these days.

But the "standard" in European factory rifles is usually longer, to allow cutting it down for shorter shooters. But many European hunters expect to have their stock "adjusted" for them, especially in higher-income countries.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The rule-of-thumb I've heard from more than one custom stockmaker and rifle builder is a 13.5" LOP for shooters standing 5'9", and .1" difference for every inch under or over that height. (5'9" is the average height for American males, though that tends to shrink with age.) This also works for women, who tend to have longer arms than men--unless the have larger than average, uh, chests.

For many years the standard LOP for American factory rifles was 13.5", to accommodate the average man, but we've tended to not only average taller but, especially, heavier than we used to. Which is probably the reason for the slightly longer LOP on many factory rifles these days.

But the "standard" in European factory rifles is usually longer, to allow cutting it down for shorter shooters. But many European hunters expect to have their stock "adjusted" for them, especially in higher-income countries.
what I said in my earlier post was around 14 1/2 pertaining to rifle. this formula comes out to 14.3 so that's pretty close and I am long armed even for my height. shotgun comes out a bit longer I'd say once again mule deer hit the nail on the head

L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
One other thing to consider is with modern fabrics/insulation, we don't have to get bulked up like the Michelin Man any more for cold weather. Depending on the rifle, I like 14.5 to 14-3/4. Shotgun 15 to 15-1/4. Gore-Tex and Thinsulate do make a difference.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
another thing I think influences what people like for their length of pull is their style of gun mounting. if you kind of rake up from the armpit you're going to like a little bit shorter length to pull. if you're kind of a push out and pull back kind of guy you probably won't just slightly longer length of pull

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Width and thickness of shoulders and length of neck mean more than how tall a fella is but the rule.of thumb is a.great place to start

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm 5' 11" with big shoulders, chest and upper arms and prefer 13.5" LOP on my deer rifles. It's cold here during deer season, I prefer to hunt afoot and don't want my rifle butt catching on my coat when I need to mount and shoot fast. I also prefer a hard plastic or steel butt plate to those damn sticky sissy pads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.