Print Thread
Hop To
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Winchester classic with a weak extractor. The extractor does not hold the case as intended. What is the best procedure to tune or, who should I send the bolt body and extractor to?

GB1

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most any Smith should have the tools to adjust a Mauser or pre 64 Win extractor which is the same as a Classic, in general. But, the finished job should hold the cartridge case to the bolt face, when the bolt is turned outside the rifle.

The extractor adjustment alone, is simple, but can be more complicated if more than just the extractor is involved.

Suggest taking the entire rifle in to a smith for an examination.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
When you say is not holding the case, at what point upon extraction is it "not holding the case"? Seems it should hold the case till extraction....flips the round out at the end of extraction. If it is dropping the round with a real slow extraction look carefully at the round and see if you can see what point it drops it. Something should be showing up that you can see.

C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The extractor does not hold the case to the bolt face as intended. I measured about .035 from the outer rim of the bolt face to the extractor. I think I am going to send the bolt body and extractor to Penrod and let him work it over.

I don't see how simply adjusting the "spring" tension the old fashioned way would help because the distance between the extractor raceway and the claw is fixed. Perhaps I am wrong...

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The extractors job is NOT to hold the case to the bolt face. That is the job of proper headspacing the case. The extractors job is to extract the fired case/round. The rifle should fire perfectly without an extractor---you would have to manually extract (read poke out the fired case). If the rifle fires fine and extracts and ejects the case you are good to go.

Hip

Last edited by Hipshoot; 08/10/23.
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
The extractors job is NOT to hold the case to the bolt face. That is the job of proper headspacing the case. The extractors job is to extract the fired case/round. The rifle should fire perfectly without an extractor---you would have to manually extract (read poke out the fired case). If the rifle fires fine and extracts and ejects the case you are good to go.

Hip

I don't think you understand how a controlled round action is designed to operate.

Carry on.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Maybe worthwhile to be certain that the rim and extractor groove are within spec on your cases before modifying the extractor and/or bolt face.

Just curious....what cartridge is the rifle chambered for?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I may get some of the accepted terminology wrong here, but will do my best. The distance from the lug on the extractor which snaps into the groove on the bolt is fixed. If that groove is too far forward, the hook of the extractor will end up too far from the bolt-face for the typical rimless cartridge. This will effectively reduce the amount of primary extraction. I have see many newer Model 70 rifles which exhibit this flaw. BACO denies that the flaw exists. I measured some pre-64 Model 70's, a Model 54,some and model 70 Classics from New Haven. All had the groove located the same distance behind the bolt face. Newer Model 70's, from BACO, had the groove located at least .025 further forward. This flaw is not repairable without either using an extractor with the hook located closer to the lug or altering the groove on the bolt. GD

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by greydog
I may get some of the accepted terminology wrong here, but will do my best. The distance from the lug on the extractor which snaps into the groove on the bolt is fixed. If that groove is too far forward, the hook of the extractor will end up too far from the bolt-face for the typical rimless cartridge. This will effectively reduce the amount of primary extraction. I have see many newer Model 70 rifles which exhibit this flaw. BACO denies that the flaw exists. I measured some pre-64 Model 70's, a Model 54,some and model 70 Classics from New Haven. All had the groove located the same distance behind the bolt face. Newer Model 70's, from BACO, had the groove located at least .025 further forward. This flaw is not repairable without either using an extractor with the hook located closer to the lug or altering the groove on the bolt. GD

That's interesting. Makes me wonder if this is design feature with the more recent WSM chamberings to avoid binding.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I may get some of the accepted terminology wrong here, but will do my best. The distance from the lug on the extractor which snaps into the groove on the bolt is fixed. If that groove is too far forward, the hook of the extractor will end up too far from the bolt-face for the typical rimless cartridge. This will effectively reduce the amount of primary extraction.

Excellent explanation. smile Most don't savvy that primary extraction is also reduced by the amount of misposition. As this happens over the entire sweep across the cam angle, it's pretty significant.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Exactly...

Hip
laugh laugh laugh Geez....... You have NO idea what you're talking about..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
375 H&H Classic Stainless held snug by extractor [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 08/12/23.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Perfect!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Hip

It has to hold it otherwise it wouldn’t be called a “controlled” feed. The spring tension that is exerted by the claw against the extractor groove of the case will then hold the loaded round against the bolt face and PREVENT the case from slipping out of the bolt face if the bolt is ever stopped before the round is fully chambered and or as the case is removed from the chamber.

To the OP…
Look at the shape of the extractor and watch as the case rim latches on to it. Is it holding on to the case?The extractor cut in the receiver, does it have some extra room, to let the extractor move out and around the rim of the case ?

Last edited by anothergun; 08/15/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
375 H&H Classic Stainless held snug by extractor [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Redneck
Perfect!

Yep, that's how I like mine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Grab the bolt and whack on the end of the extractor with a hard mallet till it works right! SMILE— not really, DON’T DO THAT—EVER!!!
Just couldn’t resist. You know you thought it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.