Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Way back in high school, 50 some years ago, I was wondering the riverbank waiting on dad to finish filling the truck with wheat during harvest. That old 1959 Gleaner Model "A" only had a 50 bushel tank and 13 ft header so it took a while to fill the truck for the trip to the elevator. I happened on an illegal trash dump and spotted a copy of Shooting Times in decent shape. As a young gun nut in a family not interested in guns or hunting, it really kindled a fire in this guy. The story that caught my eye was Skeeters article about casting bullets for his revolvers, especially the 358156 and 429421. Man I wish I had a reprint of that old article. I was a lifelong convert, with Skeeter occupying a pedestal just about as high as JOC. Nowadays I shoot more cast than jacketed, I really enjoy the whole process from scrounging the lead to the shooting.
Good chance that article is in one of his books. If I was home I'd look. Skeeter's books are pricey nowadays, but they are a good read cover to cover. My favorite Skeeter story is the Dobe Grant tale of putting a SAA together in Grant's workshop using Dobe's stash of parts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Skeeter was a good writer. He could actually step away from the real writing and do fiction that was enjoyable to read. (That from me, who is not a fan of fiction.) I wish that someone would write a biography of him. He seems to have lived an interesting life, occasionally giving brief glimpses into it that left me wanting to know more.

I liked Skeeter, and read everything of his that passed my way. But I thought most of his writing was based on fiction or imagination...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
His son Bart died a few months ago

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
my favorite writer, have all his books and magazine specials

How is Jug Johnson these days?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yeah, age 62. Skeeter died way too young, too.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Influenced by Skeeter I had both a S & W M624 and a M29 shortened to 5". I also adopted his load of 7.5gr. of Unique in both .44 Special and .44 Magnum, loading 200gr. RNFP bullets in both calibers. Seldom shoot anything else, in fact I built a dedicated powder measure that throws that charge. My favorite Skeeter story is entitled "Bustamonte I hate you" about finding a nice Colt Single Action down in old Mexico, only to turn it over to find where some Mexican had scratched his initials into the frame with what looked like a railroad spike.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/02/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yeah, age 62. Skeeter died way too young, too.

DF

Yeah, I got to be pretty good friends with Bart. Never met Skeeter but always admired his writing--as I probably mentioned previously in this thread. Learned many things from reading Skeeter, and not just about guns but writing....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think he had college degrees that greatly contributed to his writing ability. I can't remember what they were. I have several of his magazine pieces, but sadly no books.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey, which is one of several books by older gun writers I re-read periodically. For me it's definitely worth owning, even at the prices copies go for these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good afternoon sir, I hope that you and Eileen are having a decent start to the Labor Day Weekend.

Thanks for the nudge to re-read my copy which I picked up when it first came out in the late '80s.

My goodness you're correct over what they're asking for copies of it now, I just looked it up.

As an aside, I've told my good wife and the girls that if I pack it in, they shouldn't just take the library down to whatever book recycling depot is available as apparently some of them are still worth something to others.

Actually that's rather nice to see on several levels as it does mean there's still folks out reading good writing.

When we were a few hours north camping this summer I re-read my copies of your "Life of the Hunt" and "Born to Hunt" which I try to do every few years.

All the best to you both and good hunting this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My departed uncle gave me a copy of Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey many years ago. Then after he passed I was given his copy of Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos. Someone borrowed that one from me and no one will own up to it, so it's gone. I just spent $135 smackers for another copy of my own just this afternoon because I figure I'll never see my original copy again.

I loved Skeeter's "Me 'n' Joe" stories, and still do. They remind me so much of my adventures and misadventures as a kid...I feel like I could be either of those boys, and see it all happening through their eyes as I read the words.

I took my wife to Angel Fire, New Mexico last Fall, and as my habit is now to avoid interstate highways altogether and stay on the more desolate paths, I passed through some unfamiliar and downright lonesome country in the Texas panhandle on the way home. I'll be damned if I didn't drive over a small bridge spanning Tierra Blanca Creek. I didn't have time to loiter (I shoulda made some time) at all...but Skeeter would have been happy to hear that it had water in it and it appeared to be flowing nicely. IIRC, he lamented the creek's poor condition during the latter days of his life. Next time I'll stop and take a closer look at it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey, which is one of several books by older gun writers I re-read periodically. For me it's definitely worth owning, even at the prices copies go for these days.
John, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapeños...it reads just as well. I am somewhat embarrassed by what I had to pay for my copy, but don't regret it. Glad I have picked up your books before they command high prices!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great shooter and writer. Too many today are writers first and shooters second.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have both, want to sell them plus "Ruger and His Guns". Just cannot load pictures. Figure 250 shipped is fair. Great books, always enjoyed his writings. He and Charles Askins are mt favorites.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Originally Posted by Gregor
http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Found this site years ago. Bill Roser started it and his widow has continued it.

Thank you very much for this link. It has some great articles and is a real treasure for those of us into the S&W products from the "Old Days".
That is a good link. I also liked that piece on Charley Askins.

Lots of good info.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This has been another expensive thread....thanks, guys.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
My departed uncle gave me a copy of Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey many years ago. Then after he passed I was given his copy of Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos. Someone borrowed that one from me and no one will own up to it, so it's gone. I just spent $135 smackers for another copy of my own just this afternoon because I figure I'll never see my original copy again.

I loved Skeeter's "Me 'n' Joe" stories, and still do. They remind me so much of my adventures and misadventures as a kid...I feel like I could be either of those boys, and see it all happening through their eyes as I read the words.

I took my wife to Angel Fire, New Mexico last Fall, and as my habit is now to avoid interstate highways altogether and stay on the more desolate paths, I passed through some unfamiliar and downright lonesome country in the Texas panhandle on the way home. I'll be damned if I didn't drive over a small bridge spanning Tierra Blanca Creek. I didn't have time to loiter (I shoulda made some time) at all...but Skeeter would have been happy to hear that it had water in it and it appeared to be flowing nicely. IIRC, he lamented the creek's poor condition during the latter days of his life. Next time I'll stop and take a closer look at it.

Was that up close to Hereford, TX ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I first started reading Skeeter in 1970, he was never boring for sure. One of his articles was comparing a S&W Model 34 to a Walther PPK/S .22 LR with an MMC rear sight (made in Deming).

I just had to try one out.

Of course the Walther was more accurate, Skeeter said so..

I saw a sad looking 624 4” about 15 years ago in a pawn shop for $400, looked like it had been drug behind a gravel truck. I’d have bought it but it was so bad I didn’t think S&W could get it back looking decent.

Brought back my memories of his love for the .44 Special, though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think that I kept my subscription for Shooting Times for only one year after Skeeter’s passing……it just wasn’t the same! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I feel fortunate that I bought Good Guns & Hoglegs decades ago & having read & re-read them many times. Just good stuff across the board, both fiction & non-fiction.
Hell, Dobe Grant stories had my minds eye working overtime picturing the Adobe cabin, lay of the land, the remoteness of it all, etc. Broke my hearty when someone that should know, Taffin, told me that those stories were fictional.

One of my favorites in the day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 31 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,031
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.