Print Thread
Hop To
W
WhipseY Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I’m fairly new to this rimfire thread. I’ve moved over from Savage Collectors after I recently gave away my 22 High Power and 303 Savage Rifles to good friends and relatives. My hunting days are over, due to my age, so I’ve decided to turn my attention to rimfires. I am anxiously awaiting for my new Ruger light varmint target SS to arrive. I do have a very nice Ruger 77 17HMR that I have enjoyed for the past 10 years. Yesterday I decided to take it to the range and wanted to share with you my results. I was shooting Hornaday 17gr VMAX. Needless to say, I was shocked to see my first nine shots @ 50 yards. I’ve never even come close to shooting a tight group like that before. I then changed to Winchester 20gr JHP for the next nine rounds. (Not much consistency there.) Anyway, I’m enjoying myself and will keep watching this site for good information. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to add. My scope is a Burris Ballistic Plex 3X by 9X. Thanks
WhipsY
SO SORRY!! I can’t get my photos to appear. The site says they’re too large?? I’ll keep trying and send them when I get this figured out. Just so you know. the first nine shots were covered with a quarter. smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome aboard. Some of the 17 HMRs are indeed tackdrivers. I've seen a few Rugers that could be finicky but it seems you got a good one. As far as pictures if you use Postimge it makes it pretty easy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you happen to be using an iPad, the Resize Picture app will let you get your pics under 2mps and preserve the perspective. I imagine other platforms have similar tools available.

For target work with your new Ruger, I highly recommend a SWFA SS 6x42, or the 10x if your eyes need more power. The 6 is plenty for me to 100 on paper and 200 (so far) on plates. They’re $299 normally, but go on sale for $209 or so pretty often. Whatever you get needs adjustable focus for best results, especially up close.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you. For pics

Postimage.org no account needed or an account your choice.

Upload photos, click share, click the little blue envelope on the right of hotlink for forums. 2nd from the bottom. This copies the link, enter campfire and paste into your post. Done.

Swifty
W
WhipseY Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
thanks for your help,fellas. I’ll be working on it tomorrow.
WhispeY

IC B2

W
WhipseY Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hi guys,
Please let me thank you again for your assistance. Let me first say that I am 80 years old and I’m lucky to be able to USE my iPad, let alone try to do anything technical with it. Well, I struggled with your three suggestions for the last hour and a half and have become so frustrated, because of my inability to use this technology, That I’ve decided to just HOPE you believe me when I said by nine shots would be covered by a quarter. Just don’t have the patience to go through all the hoops to get to post my pictures. You’ll understand someday.
I’ll just keep informing you all of my success in shooting. No pictures!
WhipseY

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds good whipsey. No need to post pics. I have a story to tell about a new 22 shooter that was 80 years young. He had a new 10-22 that he had never shot. Bought it in 1968. His friend Steve, who is also nearing 80 at the time, convinced him to start shooting. Introduced him to some of my clubs matches, where a lot of shooters use 10-22’s. He fits in well there. However the rifle in stock form didn’t fit him well. Steve told him he needed a stock with a longer LOP. I helped and sold a brand new magpul x22 stock for cheap. After that and a trigger upgrade (volquartsen hammer kit) he was shooting noticeably better. Another new shooter at the club was only 10 years old, but both were having a great time. Some guys are hooked early in life and others later in life. Doesn’t seem to matter because the enjoyment level is alway high, regardless of how old or young you are.
Keep us posted whipsey

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.