-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone still produce a long recoil, a’la A5, shotgun?

I know the al48 has been done for a while and I don’t recall any others.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
now I do not know if it is truly considered a long recoil shotgun but the ATA Venza is made in such a way with heavier loads the barrel moves backwards a bit to open up more gas ports to keep the low . I had one of these and just recently sold it. it was a very solid shotgun for the price point and it worked as it's advertised. only reason I sold it as I acquired a Benelli Supersport briley performance shop edition. and had not shocked at venza to speak over a couple years...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why not just buy an Auto 5?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I love the Belgian made A-5 wasn't that hot on the jap ones but the jap ones will handle steel ok. I have a jap sweet 16 with invectors and a light 12 with VR 26" imp cyl. Pretty much sold on the jap ones now as well..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 09/04/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a Belgian 1965 Auto 5 Light Twelve with a late model Invector 26” barrel. I have a few Miroku Light Twelves and see no difference between the Miroku & Belgian models in terms of quality & craftsmanship.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
now I do not know if it is truly considered a long recoil shotgun but the ATA Venza is made in such a way with heavier loads the barrel moves backwards a bit to open up more gas ports to keep the low . I had one of these and just recently sold it. it was a very solid shotgun for the price point and it worked as it's advertised. only reason I sold it as I acquired a Benelli Supersport briley performance shop edition. and had not shocked at venza to speak over a couple years...

I haven’t seen those before. While not a LR design, it does look pretty damn slick.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Why not just buy an Auto 5?

I really like A5’s and shoot mine quite a bit. I was just curious f anybody still produced a gun with the LR design. It has its limits, but it’s so easy to clean, runs beautifully, and is about as reliable as a hammer.
Seems strange that so few picked it up.

There is the A5 and it’s Rem and Sav iterations. The 11-48, then the AL 48. I guess that is it?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
There's also the Winchester 1911, but those are downright nasty to shoot. A friend of mine has one, and it's an absolute shoulder hammer. It's also hard to charge if your hands are sweaty, so I would imagine the same would go if you are wearing gloves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zcm82
There's also the Winchester 1911, but those are downright nasty to shoot. A friend of mine has one, and it's an absolute shoulder hammer. It's also hard to charge if your hands are sweaty, so I would imagine the same would go if you are wearing gloves.

The "widowmaker"...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I was smart enough not to point it at myself, but I can definitely see how it happens after shooting one. That spring is pretty stiff.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have both a Miroku and an FN Sweet Sixteen. The FN gun is substantially more svelte in the hand. The Miroku is. hmm perhaps "overbuilt" is the word. Thicker, heavier. Unnecessarily so. Works fantastic, and is a real killer but wow its got a different feel to it, altogether.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Old Belgium auto 5 in 12. I don't even notice the barrel coming back. Smooth and will not leave you stranded like an Italian or Turkish made gun. Mines 70 years old and throws the lightest bird load 10 feet to my right. Every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I traded my last A5 to recover some of the money I spent on a 725. There are a lot of nice ones out there, but prices seem to have jumped back up a bit. Still, for general use and 2 3/4 shells, I’d buy another before spending $1500+ on one of the Metro-sexual autos from Yurrup or Turkey. A friend just bought a new, inertia A5, and it’s pretty slick, without too many funny angles and such. Came pretty dear I expect.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by zcm82

Nasty is putting it mildly. I hate those guns.

Robert E. Lee
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I only put a few rounds through it myself, but I definitely have no real desire to ever shoot it again. Thing makes light birdshot loads feel like magnums. The feed setup for the magazine tube is also weird. That whole design is just kind of bizarre.

I'm a lefty, so I'm not big on autoloaders in general. I just wanted to try it because they're not something you see very often.

Last edited by zcm82; 09/07/23. Reason: typo
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I have both a Miroku and an FN Sweet Sixteen. The FN gun is substantially more svelte in the hand. The Miroku is. hmm perhaps "overbuilt" is the word. Thicker, heavier. Unnecessarily so. Works fantastic, and is a real killer but wow its got a different feel to it, altogether.
Same here, could not have said it better the purpose of the jap is if you have to sink low enough to shoot steel , you use it...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.