Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
So, just like title says, I'm buying a new rifle in 6.5 Creed, my choices are Kimber Montana or the Winchester Stainless Featherweight. How about some pros, cons, and thoughts?

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Balance/handling/ergo's the Montana by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Winchester's SOLE advantage,is the ability to change COAL to a 3" box. Hint.

Somebody asking this question,will be best served by the Montucky. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
1 member likes this: dznnf7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 6.5 Kimber Hunter, a.30-06 Montana shortened to 22 in and several Model 70's including an SS All Terrain .30-06 that I have had for many years.

It would depend on how I planned to use it. I like the Kimbers when I am in rugged country or hiking long distances. I used the Montana for my sheep for instance.

Unless that is the case, I prefer the Moedl 70's. The additional weight seems to make it easier to shoot, especially off hand.

Loaded, scoped (All three have 2.5-8x36 Leupolds) and slung with added iron sights and three rounds in a butt cuff there is almost exactly a one pound difference in weight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There will be over 1.5# weight difference between the Kimber Montana and the wood stocked stainless featherweight in issued guise.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It pains me to Agree with PigStick..... But I'd have to cast my vote for the Montana too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana if you're walking anywhere.

Yup.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
my vote is for the Montana as well

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not even close…Montana.

I have plenty of both. If I had to pick one, it would be a Montana.

Last edited by tzone; 09/05/23.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 6.5 Creedmoor, the Montana for sure. If it was a bigger caliber, the extra weight of the Winchester might be appreciated.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had that exact M70 FWT and regret selling it big time. Never owned a Montana so can't really compare, but if the FWT is as nice as the one I had, you wouldn't be disappointed. (It shot 3/4" at 100 with 129 interbonds... that's about as good as my eyes can do... rifle likely capable of better.)

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 25aught6
It pains me to Agree with PigStick..... But I'd have to cast my vote for the Montana too.

TwatSchit,

I bat an unfhuqkingbelievably high connect percentage and if I take the time to reply,you'd do well to simply say "ditto". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Below is a rule listed on another outdoor forum. Too bad the 'fire doesn't adopt the same rule. Adult behavior is apparently beyond some...

"No disparaging remarks about other members, no foul attitudes, treat everyone with respect even if you disagree. If a member is not conducting themselves in a respectful manner, give them a gentle reminder of the rules. The membership should be able to police this easily. If a member is unable to keep it civil they will be banned from the site. "

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Liar Larry skirts all rules by crying to the moderator about hurt feelings and discrimination against psychotic sociopaths. Then he passes money under the table and gets free reign. Most of the other forums gave him the boot and barred the door.

In his little world, he thinks he has credibility and admiration.

Rules of virtue, decency, and respect can't apply when you have zilch in that department. Hint

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fuelman
So, just like title says, I'm buying a new rifle in 6.5 Creed, my choices are Kimber Montana or the Winchester Stainless Featherweight. How about some pros, cons, and thoughts?

They're two very different rifles. The Montana is made for backpack and mountain hunting. I'd rather have the Featherweight sitting in a deer stand. Its heavier weight allows it to settle down quicker. I'd rather pack a Montana on a mountain hunt.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by KenMi
Then he passes money under the table and gets free reign.

To be honest I’m getting a little tired of seeing you post this. I think you’re full of [bleep] but feel free to prove me wrong.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kimber Montana without question. Total weight out of the box - 5# 2oz, the stock is 1#9 oz.. Add a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and I'm up to 5#15oz using Talley LW's. Nothing against the Winchester, but you have a couple extra pounds to contend with. On a backpack hunt it is a deal breaker.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/04/23.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tzone
I have planet of both.

Damn. You win! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
Below is a rule listed on another outdoor forum. Too bad the 'fire doesn't adopt the same rule. Adult behavior is apparently beyond some...

"No disparaging remarks about other members, no foul attitudes, treat everyone with respect even if you disagree. If a member is not conducting themselves in a respectful manner, give them a gentle reminder of the rules. The membership should be able to police this easily. If a member is unable to keep it civil they will be banned from the site. "

No thanks.

I prefer the thick skin approach.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by southtexas

No thanks.

I prefer the thick skin approach.

100%

Although I am the "Rita Rudner" of hunting forums (born to be mild) I posted on Accurate Reloading for 20 years and got kicked off for the 6th and final time in 2020 IIRC due to my conservative political beliefs. I took a peek the other night. There were 23 members on line and 131 guests. IMHO, that's what the heavy hand of over-zealous mods gets ya.

ya!

GWB

PS:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 11 yr old grandson, his first deer and a Kimber Montana in 260 Rem.

Last edited by geedubya; 09/04/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

The Hurt Feeler Reports and Crying Kchuntitude are heart warming. Nothing is fhuqking funnier than Professional "Victims"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

While I MUCHLY prefer the Montucky,fair is fair. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Snivel on,you CLUELESS Crying Kchunts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.