Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
https://norfolkdailynews.com/news/h...bdf7ac2-4b4e-11ee-8bf7-33cc58bf2dba.html

Seems lots of folks on here believe quicksand doesn’t really exist. This guy may tell a different story. The hunter in this story is very lucky there wasn’t more moisture in this lake bed. Growing up near this place, I found lots of place where you could get into some scary situations. I don’t know of a person who has drowned here but lots of cattle have and judging by the number of skulls I found around there, lots of buffalo as well.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That ain't quicksand.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been stuck in mud like that more than once, and lost a few shoes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hit quicksand over a spring in Michigan. I was up to my waste before I got out. I lost my flip flops in the process. Came back a couple days later and my flip flops were sitting on the edge.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Dad and Grandpa always told stories of pulling cattle out of the Washita
and Canadian rivers , they lost as many as they saved.Dad always said to get on top and roll out of it, I’ve been in it a few times and that’s how I got out.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fubarski
That ain't quicksand.

If there was a bit more moisture in it, it sure as Hell is.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by Fubarski
That ain't quicksand.

If there was a bit more moisture in it, it sure as Hell is.

Not even close.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X2

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Angus55
My Dad and Grandpa always told stories of pulling cattle out of the Washita
and Canadian rivers , they lost as many as they saved.Dad always said to get on top and roll out of it, I’ve been in it a few times and that’s how I got out.

Yep, there is not much you can do to pull a critter out once they get stuck. A friends horse got stuck and he and another kid managed to get the pony out but they injured its neck and it had trouble breathing for the rest of its life.
We used to bow fish for carp, suckers and gar in the lake that fed into this area. Unlike most of the ponds in this area, which were just filled by runoff and were very muddy, this lake was spring fed and the water was really clear. You could be wading thru the cattails o solid footing looking for fish one minute and up to your knees in quicksand the next. If you struggled you be waist deep in no time. Only way out was to roll onto your back and just lift your legs. I usually came home caked in mud, head to foot.

Kaywoodie
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Platte River has some dicey spots too. Found some when duck hunting out near Ashland...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the Western movies, quicksand is everywhere out West.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
According to the Western movies, quicksand is everywhere out West.

Hasn’t turned out to be the problem I thought it would.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First thing I think of is; Blazing Saddles . laugh laugh

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

"Don't send the horses, send the niqqers ! "

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mud and quicksand are entirely different. I've never been in quicksand. Here's part of an explanation of what it is. You can float in it if you keep your wits and don't panic. Mud will suck you down or at least make it impossible to pull yourself out. Alaska's Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage is famous for it's tidal mud flats. On occasion someone will be dumb enough to walk out there at low tide and get stuck. There was one this spring. Rescuers couldn't get to him before the tide came back in. RIP

Quicksand, also known as sinking sand, is a colloid consisting of fine granular material (such as sand, silt or clay) and water. It forms in saturated loose sand when the sand is suddenly agitated. When water in the sand cannot escape, it creates a liquefied soil that loses strength and cannot support weight. Quicksand can form in standing water or in upward flowing water (as from an artesian spring). In the case of upward flowing water, forces oppose the force of gravity and suspend the soil particles.

The saturated sediment may appear quite solid until a sudden change in pressure or shock initiates liquefaction. This causes the sand to form a suspension and lose strength. The cushioning of water gives quicksand, and other liquefied sediments, a spongy, fluid-like texture. Objects in liquefied sand sink to the level at which the weight of the object is equal to the weight of the displaced soil/water mix and the submerged object floats due to its buoyancy.

Soil liquefaction may occur in partially saturated soil when it is shaken by an earthquake or similar forces. The movement combined with an increase in pore pressure (of groundwater) leads to the loss of particle cohesion, causing buildings or other objects on that surface to sink.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mud and quicksand are entirely different. I've never been in quicksand. Here's part of an explanation of what it is. You can float in it if you keep your wits and don't panic. Mud will suck you down or at least make it impossible to pull yourself out. Alaska's Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage is famous for it's tidal mud flats. On occasion someone will be dumb enough to walk out there at low tide and get stuck. There was one this spring. Rescuers couldn't get to him before the tide came back in. RIP

Quicksand, also known as sinking sand, is a colloid consisting of fine granular material (such as sand, silt or clay) and water. It forms in saturated loose sand when the sand is suddenly agitated. When water in the sand cannot escape, it creates a liquefied soil that loses strength and cannot support weight. Quicksand can form in standing water or in upward flowing water (as from an artesian spring). In the case of upward flowing water, forces oppose the force of gravity and suspend the soil particles.

The saturated sediment may appear quite solid until a sudden change in pressure or shock initiates liquefaction. This causes the sand to form a suspension and lose strength. The cushioning of water gives quicksand, and other liquefied sediments, a spongy, fluid-like texture. Objects in liquefied sand sink to the level at which the weight of the object is equal to the weight of the displaced soil/water mix and the submerged object floats due to its buoyancy.

Soil liquefaction may occur in partially saturated soil when it is shaken by an earthquake or similar forces. The movement combined with an increase in pore pressure (of groundwater) leads to the loss of particle cohesion, causing buildings or other objects on that surface to sink.

Rock Chuck,

Thank you! Since all of the soil in that area is Valentine Sand, i.e. white sand, beach sand, sugar sand, etc, it would difficult to call the liquefied mixture of sand and water anything but “quicksand”.

Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Craigster

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Craigster

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If I ever have the opportunity to attend a 24HCF get-together, I'll bring my collection of Mel Brooks DVD's. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have encountered both here in Mississippi especially near the Mississippi River. Only way to escape is to “swim” out of it , frontwards or backstroke sorta. Usually lose your footwear in the process. Best to have a buddy to help pull you to break the suction. Scary stuff. Grew up messing around the great River at Warfield Point South of Greenville near the River bridge. Sandbars everywhere. Now a state park and power plant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We always called it “Suck Mud” because it grabs hold of the legs and feet. Not especially dangerous, but it can get you into a nasty little predicament. blush
We used to go to the Potomac River for channel cats in the late spring early summer near Pooleville/ Edwards Ferry.
One of us would get caught knee deep and somebody else would pull them out.
Dave is damn near double my weight, and I bet it would have been funny as hell to watch the skinny guy trying to yank the bigger guy out of the mud! grin
I’d always gather up Old sticks and whatnot out of the driftwood caught in the trees, making myself an area that you could fish from.
I do a lot of dumb things sometimes, but I ain’t stupid! crazy
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.