-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
good afternoon,,,bought this revolver legally off an older gentleman about 25 or so years ago along with about 1000 rounds of 22LR shorts that are long gone for $60 total,,,he only shot it in his basement,which explain the steel wool marks on the right side of the frame and ejector rod,,,took it to a gunsmith he said it was a K-22 and offered me $450 for it,,,can anyone tell me the model #,date of birth, and the estimated value of this revolver,,,i apology for the phone pics,,,more pics upon request,,,all replies appreciated,,,QD

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pdMBTPsL/IMG-0913.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/K8MNx1rW/IMG-0914.jpg[/img]

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm no expert. But I've seen K-22s in rough shape for about $600.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Swing the cylinder open and inside the opening will be a model number. Also, is there a screw in front of the trigger guard that goes back toward the rear of the revolver?
This will tell you whether it is what’s called a 5 screw model. The screw at the top of the sideplate indicates that it is at least a 4screw.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Swing the cylinder open and inside the opening will be a model number.

That one's old enough that it wouldn't have an actual model. Can't tell the barrel length, but if it's a 4" it would be a Pre-model 18, if it's a 6" it would be a Pre-17.

Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
can’t find a model # but it does have a screw in front of the trigger guard and is is a 6” barrel,,,thanks so far for the reply’s

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standard Catalog of S&W puts that serial number in 1951.

1951 K104048 - K136690

So, you have a K-22 Masterpiece postwar 3rd Model (5 screw) in rough shape cosmetically. Wouldn't begin to guess a value, obviously worth at least $450 to someone. No collector value in that condition, even as a shooter it would only appeal to someone who really likes old K-22's or someone who wanted to try his hand at a restoration.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pretty rough condition and still trying to figure out why shooting it in the basement causes steel wool marks… anyway, I believe the $450 offer was fair.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is the Spanish writing on the side of the frame normal? That one threw me for a loop but I am too lazy to dig one out to compare.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It looks like a mechanically solid K-frame 22 with a rough finish.

Originally Posted by msquared
I'm no expert. But I've seen K-22s in rough shape for about $600.

That would be about right in western Washington.

Originally Posted by 160user
Is the Spanish writing on the side of the frame normal? That one threw me for a loop but I am too lazy to dig one out to compare.

"Marcas Registradas" is the Spanish equivalent of "Registered Trademark." It's normal.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 09/04/23.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by quickdeath
can’t find a model # but it does have a screw in front of the trigger guard and is is a 6” barrel,,,thanks so far for the reply’s

That’s the 4th screw. 5th screw is upper side plate.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the original owner shot mostly shorts... plus the 1k shorts that came with it... there is a strong possibility the cylinder has potentially rough chambers.

Cleaning it well and taking a picture or two of the chambers should be an important step in determining value.

I am real fond of K-22s.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
thanks everyone for your replies,,,the 1000 shorts were sold separately after the sale,,,in the 25 or so years i owned it,i only shot cci mini mags out of it,only about 100,,,the cylinder bores along with the barrel bore are bright and shiny with sharp rifling,,,the steel wool scratches were caused by poor storing in the basement,,,i’ll get a pic of the bores tomorrow,,,again,,,thanks,,,QD

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn shame about the steel wool scratchies. That makes it worth not a helluva lot more than $450, maybe $600 to someone feeling charitable, IMO. Were it mine I would shoot the heck out of it.

40's-50's vintage K's, pre-war Colt Officer's Models, and post-war Officer's Model Matches = the best era for quality .22 target revolvers, IMO. I have examples of all of them, shoot them a pretty fair bit, and honestly can't pick a favorite among them. They all shoot like young rifles.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I would consider popping that side plate off, polishing it on a fine stone, and having it rust blued (or even thoroughly Oxpho-Blued, don't laugh). It won't match the rest of the gun but in terms of eradicating the steel wool damage it'll look three times better than it does now.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Know a guy who bought a 1948 w/o the “steel wool” issues for ~$500 recently. Was a Gunbroker purchase.

Interesting at least to me that the 17-3 models seem to sell for a premium above other K-22 models. Just an observation from a casual onlooker. There are web sights which track specific purchases. I feel certain your aware of these.

Storage in a basement has nothing to do with the “steel wool” scratches to the finish. They didn’t appear due to storage. Someone deliberately put them there for reasons unknown but easily assumed.

Given my again, “casual observations” $450 was a solid offer. Especially if I had no further interest or useful plans for the pistol. Fickle thing the value placed on particular items. Good luck finding the right buyer.

Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
being stored in the basement is why he used steel wool to remove some surface rust,,,i was in his basement and it was damp

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by quickdeath
being stored in the basement is why he used steel wool to remove some surface rust,,,i was in his basement and it was damp
Yeah people seem to not realize that some oil, a cloth, and elbow grease can clear up lots of surface rust without scaring it up.

Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
i am finding it very difficult to take pics of the cylinder bore and the barrel bore,,,you’ll have to take my word for it,,,both are bright and shiney with no signs of corrosion or pitting,,,if it wasn’t for the steel wool scratches,i’d probably rate this revolver at 80%,,,again i appreciate all your replies,,,QD

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just shoot it !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a K 4 screw born in 1952, that is in pristine condition, grips are numbered to the serial number, I don't lnow what mine is worth but it can be bought. No steel wool marks on mine and don't even want any in the house. Cannot imagine putting a gun in a damp basement

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.