Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Right now, I’m about 2/3rds through Bruce Catton’s “The Coming Fury”, about the beginning of the Civil War. Been quite a while since I read it. Lotta things about the election of 1860, Ft Sumter, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri that I had forgotten. You can probably look for a thread on this in a couple weeks or so! grin
Stxhunter, hook me up. I’d like to know about your ancestors. Like I said, the Texas Revolution is very interesting.
Nykkie, I read a little about the UDT guys in WW2. They had to have balls of steel.
But my question to one of them would be about how Kilroy got there first! grin
A friend of mine was a tunnel rat in Vietnam. Down the hole with a flashlight and a 1911! I didn’t know it at first. He just seemed a little off to me, until somebody clued me in. He was pretty hesitant to talk when I asked him about it, but after while we became pretty good friends. That man has my respect as much as anyone!
Much as I brag about being an American, crawling down o probably booby trapped hole with a pistol might be beyond my level of patriotism! eek
7mm
https://www.tshaonline.org/search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=tumlinson&gsc.sort=

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rapier
Another battle to observe would be hill 937 in the A Shu Valley. I have talked to several members of my unit that were there in the battle and took part in that battle. It took 11 frontal assaults to neutralize the mountain, which was used as an underground NVA HQ, with reinforced concrete gun positions . The Mountain was used by the NVA to control the valley on the Laos border. After demolishing the tunnels, trenches and positions, the 101st withdrew. The mountain started as a triple canopy jungle covered mountain and ended as a bare knob, of plowed and disked, smoking earth, nothing over knee high was left standing on the mountain. The withdrawal was controversial, but based on paratroopers present at the battle, there was nothing left to hold.

Hamburger Hill was a battle started by one of my platoon buddies who identified a communication line while on a scout mission the day I reported to my unit. He got shot down for his troubles and was snatched from harm's way before the dinks could do anything about their new visitor. It was a nasty event for both sides.

FWIW, it is properly known as the "A Shau" valley, and in Vietnamese parlance was known as Dong Ap Bia.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Rapier
Another battle to observe would be hill 937 in the A Shu Valley. I have talked to several members of my unit that were there in the battle and took part in that battle. It took 11 frontal assaults to neutralize the mountain, which was used as an underground NVA HQ, with reinforced concrete gun positions . The Mountain was used by the NVA to control the valley on the Laos border. After demolishing the tunnels, trenches and positions, the 101st withdrew. The mountain started as a triple canopy jungle covered mountain and ended as a bare knob, of plowed and disked, smoking earth, nothing over knee high was left standing on the mountain. The withdrawal was controversial, but based on paratroopers present at the battle, there was nothing left to hold.

Hamburger Hill was a battle started by one of my platoon buddies who identified a communication line while on a scout mission the day I reported to my unit. He got shot down for his troubles and was snatched from harm's way before the dinks could do anything about their new visitor. It was a nasty event for both sides.

FWIW, it is properly known as the "A Shau" valley, and in Vietnamese parlance was known as Dong Ap Bia.
My uncle fought in that battle and showed me a photo album of pics taken during and after the battle. This was right before the movie came out, he wanted me to see what it was really like, not Hollywood's version.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would have also liked to have seen my BIL and his boys clearing out the Mekong Delta, from some of the stories he's told me it was pretty sporty.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Many thanks for you and Kaywoody and Birdy for the replies!
You know, to be downright honest, right here in this thread is why I love this ‘Campfire!
Many times I’ve posted something that I knew fairly well, and ended up learning much a helluva lot more!
The knowledge of the folks on this board has amazed me several times. “ Dumb rednecks, clinging to their guns and religion”!
What did Sun Tzu say about underestimating the enemy?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Naval Battles of Guadalcanal would be something to see. Cruisers and Battleships firing at point blank range at night.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reon,
I've never heard of the Tulls Hill Massacre?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
“Knock, and the door will be opened to you”.
The Tulls Hill Massacre
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
First and/or Second Battle of Manassas... 4th Virginia and 24th Virginia, CSA. 1861 & 1862.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the thread, the whole thing was interesting.

Got me to thinking about Everett and Bloody Run.
Found this with Dennis Tice.

Did you ever see Tice's work on Bedford County in WWII?

I worked at HJ Beamer my senior year and awhile after.
Henry was not a friendly guy, (that's me being nice),
and I didn't like him at all. But watching the video made me have some respect for him. And possibly excuse his demeanor, especially towards an aimless young punk.
Being on the Yorktown when she sunk, ending up transfered to and aboard the Hornet when she sunk, it's possible he resented my demeanor!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by milespatton
How many Texans exactly valued honor and freedom more than life itself?
I only read a portion of this thread before I felt compelled to answer. Others more qualified than me, may have already answered, But as a Vietnam Veteran, here goes. My take on this is, once you comit, anything else does not matter. Death you have to face within yourself. Once that is done, the rest is a matter of Honor, still within yourself. My take, others may disagree. miles

Honor is a State of Instilled Tradition from One Generation to Another..

Lindsay and Mitch You Little Bitches ..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I remember Beamer Ford but never knew anything about the family.
Cool video about Bloody Run, but the story I read was a little different, happening prior to the last French & Indian War.
Not sure where I read it, I think it was in those books (little pamphlets) that were sold in Old Bedford Village and I think at the Fort as well.
I believe it was called “Tails Of The Allegheny Foorhills” by Vaughn E Whiskers.
The Bedford Historical Society has them condensed into a book that you can buy there. I got one for Penny’s birthday a few years ago.
Any way, about the time they burned the settlers out at Burnt Cabins, the British were collecting taxes from the white folks, and giving beads and blankets, and guns lead and powder to the Indians in the area.
Now of course this wasn’t really appreciated by the settlers, and a group of them disguised as Indians, ambushed a British supply train headed for that area out of the Fort.
I believe it was relatively bloodless as to human casualties, but several of the horse teams were killed, their blood draining into the creek.
7mm

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange
Honor is a State of Instilled Tradition from One Generation to Another..

Lindsay and Mitch You Little Bitches ..
It’s always been me belief that honesty, honor, and ethics are things you learn from your parents and other adults at an early age.
This and dwindling religion are surely the cause of this country’s moral decline.
7mm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i would like to see who fired the first shot on April 19, 1775 at Lexington.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So many great ones mentioned here however the big game changer that turned the tide for the US in the Pacific without a doubt was Midway..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We were damn lucky that the carriers were outta town that Sunday, on December 7th.
Probably doubly so because they never went after the fuel supply.
And we were damn lucky at Midway too.
I have always believed that God Himself guided this nation. He has used us a tool many times. I have always been thankful for that. It gave me heroes and courage and faith!
We’re headed into hard times, because most of us ignore those heroes, and we’ve lost that courage and faith.
But I believe in the American Spirit, and I’ll keep praying and loading shells, and trying to teach my son.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 09/05/23.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (219 Wasp, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.