Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Heading to the White Mountains in NH this Saturday. Main goal of climbing Mount Washington.

If the weather is good for us and we get it the first day we will then move on to other hikes in the area.

If the mountain kicks our butt we'll try it again. Have three days to get it done.

Dad and I going. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time!

Only three more days of work.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Be prepared for significant shifts in weather. Be safe and have fun.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
love that area to hike.

A friend of mine has been trying to get me to go on a guided hike where you hike to hikers lodges that are stocked with food and they cook for you in the evening up there

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Yup, if the weather forecast for the area says it's going to 75-80 and sunny, it could be in the 40's and cloudy/windy/rainy up near the peak. Bring warm clothes and rain gear.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang man Mt Washington is beautiful that sounds amazing I’m jealous!

We as a family visited the Green & White Mountains a few years ago, visiting Mt Washington in our car. During the entire ascent I was daydreaming about returning with a backpack to climb it on foot.

I hope you have a safe and fun time and bring back lots of photos!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be careful. 8 rescues in the Whites this last weekend. They had snow at the summit last week but it's darn nice right now. Sounds like you know it changes quickly.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Be careful and pack warm clothing last year a college girl went hiking and ended up dying in the bad weather

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What trail are you planning to climb?

I've climbed the entire Presidential Range multiple times and like the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail that starts at the base of the cogged railroad for climbing Mount Washington. Bring layers of warmer clothing, including pants, a fleece jacket or anorak, a rain shell, water/eletrolytes, and an IFAK with enough ace bandages to stabilize a sprained ankle or knee.. As noted previously, the weather can change in a hurry and the NH F&G seem to be constantly doing rescues in the Presidentials. It might be worth buying the Hike Safe Card that will pay the recovery costs if you, or anyone in your family, is injured and requires a recovery. $35 for a family Hike Safe Card is cheap insurance and like any insurance, you buy it hoping that you won't need to use it. Allow yourself more time than you think that you'll need.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have done Mt Adams , it's a lot tougher than it looks , carry lots of layers. arctic condition , high winds

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amon. Rav. From the Cog is the most direct I believe. Dry River is the longest. (Plan overnight) there is a AMC lodge in valley (reservation required) between Washington and Adams where Lake of the Clouds sits. Its hot this week 90°'s, clear predicted thru Sat. Night time temps on the Mtn. Low 40°,'s.
Be ready for anything weather wise. You will see bill boards. (Literally) telling you if weather is predicted, turn back now. Many have died on the Rock Pile. Also keep an eye out for falling gear. Winter hikers that are over loaded will lash gear to trees. The snow melts and that gear is 20 ' off the ground. Have fun. Be safe. Take pictures

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Planning on up tuckerman ravine and down lions head.

Was there a few years back on the motorcycle and we've wanted to hike it since.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wife #1 and I did a two day climb of Mt. Washington back in 1979. Last week of October, snow on the ground and 19 degrees.
Camp was in a protected area, so no tents allowed. Had to sleep in an open lean-to. Of course, calling it "sleep" was just a figure of speech.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

We were there in early June 2022. Drove up Mt Washington. It was in the 70's with blue skies and no wind the day we were there. We read a week later that a hiker died on the hike up. Temps dropped below freezing, 2-3" of snow and wind gusts of 80 mph.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
When I go up that side, that's my route. As has been stated, up Ammo and down Jewell is my 'normal' route.

Pack layers and watch the weather shifts, then enjoy the Auto Road entitled tourons at the peak.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
When I go up that side, that's my route. As has been stated, up Ammo and down Jewell is my 'normal' route.

Pack layers and watch the weather shifts, then enjoy the Auto Road entitled tourons at the peak.

If sunday's attempt goes well, we may do ammo/Jewell Monday before heading home Tuesday.

Any other recommendations in that same area if we don't want to do Washington again? (Assuming we're successful the first try)

-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Hoping for one of the few clear blue sky days. But wouldn't be too upset to feel a little weather that it's known for either. We're prepared either way.

When we were there on the motorcycles a few years back it was absolutely miserable. Couldn't see thirty yards and the wind would blow the helmets right off the bike seat. NOT hoping for that.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Absolutely.

If you're staying on the Gorham side: Start in Randolph and bag Mount Adams via Air Line, hit the Madison Hut, then summit Madison. Go down Valley Way.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Climbed Mt Washington multiple times back in college, from 1970 to 1976.

It was wonderful... but then that was 50 years ago, and I was a much younger man....

Best of luck on your quest....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Climbed Mt Washington multiple times back in college, from 1970 to 1976.

It was wonderful... but then that was 50 years ago, and I was a much younger man....

Best of luck on your quest....

I don't think the mountain has changed grin

Hoping for a great trip.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Been there done that. Have fun. Great survival training in a lot of different weather conditions. Be safe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.