Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you Troutnut.

Also, there are a couple of shiny lines that I think are just picking up light from the thick oil we wiped it down with. Still some dust on it too.
Gun is in great shape and fit really well, Bangor Punta or not. Really wish the grips were there though.

Last edited by kragman1; 09/05/23.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome. Nice Smith

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Worth $199...? 😁

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cisco1
The older Smiths are an addiction. No matter how many I have ....I just keep buying.

Will be selling some 17's there is and over abundance here.

I have sold most of my NIB items. Have a few left.

Colt Match Target Pistols are a trigger for me . I have 1 NIB 6" ...that will hit the market some time . Also a 4" Woodsman
Sport NIB that has to go.

It's all great fun.
Seems that Colts have risen in price more than Smiths, but 5 screw Smiths seem to be gaining ground; IMO they are a good investment.

Agree with the Colt Match Target. I picked this one up a few years ago at a gun show for $400. I have the original grips, but like these Python grips better. It is one smooth, accurate revolver.

Also got this pair of Target 8 3/8" Smiths, .22LR and .38 Spec. at the same show but not at the same time. Not 5 screw but worth a good bit more than what I paid.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Dirtfarmer, you should do community service for the deal you got on that Colt...!

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kragman1
Dirtfarmer, you should do community service for the deal you got on that Colt...!
Ha!

I got over that guilt pretty quick.

As you know, those big frame Colts and Pythons have essentially the same action. This circa 1938 Match Target is about as slick as my Python.

BTW, speaking of guilt, that Python cost me $185 from an Army bud back in the late '70's who needed the money. And, it's in perfect shape.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you Troutnut.

Also, there are a couple of shiny lines that I think are just picking up light from the thick oil we wiped it down with. Still some dust on it too.
Gun is in great shape and fit really well, Bangor Punta or not. Really wish the grips were there though.

Nice 17.The Herretts are actually in pretty nice shape.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Thank you Troutnut.

Nice 17.The Heretts are actually in pretty nice shape.
I like those better than the full sized Smith target grips. To me, those are too fat for my hand.

The pair of Smiths pictured above had target grips cut down to size, painted with a crinkle black rattle can. Not so pretty, but they fit my hand. No big deal to replace those with the correct grips. I'd do so if selling them, would keep the black grips 'cause they fit.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Thank you Troutnut.

Nice 17.The Heretts are actually in pretty nice shape.
I like those better than the full sized Smith target grips. To me, those are too fat for my hand.

The pair of Smiths pictured above had target grips cut down to size, painted with a crinkle black rattle can. Not so pretty, but they fit my hand. No big deal to replace those with the correct grips. I'd do so if selling them, would keep the black grips 'cause they fit.

DF

The S&W target grips don’t fit my hand either. Too wide at the bottom and too thick overall.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: That indeed IS a beautiful 17!
Good for you.
I guess "I" am the odd man out? I LOVE the Smith&Wesson factory "Target Grips" - they fit me fine.
Did I mention I have a couple of Smith & Wesson Model 17's with "full-lug" barrels?
Long live pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a cherry pre 17 made in 1952. Barrel is 6 1/2 I think, and has the cool partridge sights. Those were the golden years of quality.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.