Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by gunzo
They lost popularity because the 870 is simply a better shotgun.

whistle

And a Corvair was better than the Corvette. 😂

Battue, I like how you think!
And I always enjoy the photos of your dogs and that good ol' Model 12. Keep them coming! cool

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks!!!!

(Although a new SxS should show up by Thursday. 🤣)

Last edited by battue; 09/05/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can attest to the lack of interest and low prices for M12s. Been trying to sell one locally, and FTF here for a while without much luck, and I’m not willing to take the bath on it that would be needed to move it just yet. It’ll remain for sale locally, but will probably get some time afield in the meantime.

Overall, I definitely prefer the 37. The 12’s anti-inertia lock takes some getting used to, and its barrel retention system is decidedly inferior to the 37 IMO. Still, it’s very slick and handy, and shares with the 37 the wonderful machined steel parts that exude old-time quality. 870s and Mossbergs are great, reliable guns, but definitely built with price in mind with, depending on model and grade, plastic and aluminum in places I prefer to have steel, and double action bars don’t make them any slicker IME. I’ve yet to rack one of either that compares to a 37 for smoothness.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Funny I have been shooting a m12 16 ga
In the dove field and have been struggling with it
I let my nephew shoot it last night and chose to use my old rem 870
My shooting improver to over 50 %
He didn’t hit squat

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Most of us grew hunting with our grand daddy's and daddy's swinging a model 12, those hand me downs are still with us. The Model 12 is a generational shotgun that has been dying the last 10 ++ years while the Remington 870 has taken its place. The 870's price points have replaced once was current trends for model 12's. The high condition "graded" model 12's that collectors seek are the exceptions. So many Model 12's that have been hunted hard, truck guns and messed with are plentiful and gather dust.

Some hunters and clay target shooters using steel base shot shells having head space issues with model 12's not extracting hulls without force on the forearm that's not a issue with 870's. The model 12 trap gun still has a following but that's now cooling off too as those who have model 12 mechanical issues finding a gunsmith who work on them now.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have had 2 different m12 "Ducks" 3 " chambered guns where the previous owner cleaned the barrel chamber when the gun was in takedown from the breech end. They polished it enough to give it a larger diameter than the chamber ring extension in the receiver. At this point in time you are screwed for the use of high brass shells , they will still function with low brass because it does not expand out in the enlarged barrel chamber. If one needs to clean a dirty chamber on a m12 do it from the muzzle with the gun in 1 piece. I still have a m12 field gun that was screwed up this way because I can't in good conscious pass it on. A bunch of people on here will tell me I'm full of it but it is the damned truth. You don't have that problem with any other shotgun but m12's..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Magnum Bob,

I also hunted ducks with a 3" model 12 Heavy Duck; the 3" lead shot shells before steel shot mandated in 1995 were never a problem ejecting. When using 3" steel was not the same as prior 3" lead shells so used 2 3/4" shells while some manufactures were not always reliable. The Model 12 HD was not always the best pumper for 3" shells, in 1935 all shells were paper so was able to extract. Winchester removed 1/4" more chamber port toward the front of receiver for 3" shells so over the years labeled the model 12 heavy duck 3" the best 2 3/4" shotgun pump shotgun for duck hunting.

Just an FYI, I reloaded old style 2 3/4" Winchester AA for both target and hunting, all brass base never an issue with extracting in a variety of model 12's.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta love 37's , like its on ball bearings.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
WTB Winchester Model 12 in good condition. Tell me what you have.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The vast majority never came close to wearing out a Model 12. They may look rough, but being worn out to the point of mechanical issues would be the exception. In addition, Model 12 parts are not hard to find. Nor does it take a genius Smith to replace them.

Last edited by battue; 09/05/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by battue
The vast majority never came close to wearing out a Model 12. They may look rough, but being worn out to the point of mechanical issues would be the exception. In addition, Model 12 parts are not hard to find. Nor does it take a genius Smith to replace them.

Bingo! They are a cinch to work on.

You want an old azz wore out gun get you a typical 1897. Gawd I do not like them. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I could always tell when there was a gunshow in town because some CAS shooter would allways come in with some beat to schidt, wore out ‘97 in three ziplock bags wanting us to put it back together for him. Question????? Why did you take it apart? Answer,,, I saw screwdriver slots!!

Same reasoning some old ‘94’s had barrels unscrewed with a damn stilson wrench. “I wanted to see if I could take it off!!!”

Geez

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I responded on shotgunworld in a similar manner,

…but as we are lamenting the low popularity of Model 12s in todays world, why doesn’t most everybody have a brace of setters and a Ford Country Squire station wagon to haul them in on the way to Uncle Versie’s back pasture for an afternoon of bird hunting?

My 12 year of boy won’t even know what bird hunting is compared to me 30 years ago, and I was on the tail end of the good stuff. My safe is full of enough guns for him to choose for dove, pheasants, and ducks without needing to add (another) Model 12.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wdvicker
Just the other day I was in my LGS. They have a beautiful Pigeon Grade asking 3500. My wife wants to get a look at it. We are going tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thankfully a friend I shot with had his wife introduce my wife to the wonderful world of Trap Shooting. I'm pretty sure the gun belonged to my friend. He has passed away. He was the Illinois state champion in 1982. I'm going to have my brother check the serial#. He is married to my friends daughter. He has all of the information on the guns sold out of the estate. If it is I know she will want it. Again keeping my fingers crossed.

Like this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is One of 480 Pigeon Grade Model 12's produced in 1985 in the Winchester Model 21 Custom Shop.
The last of the Y series.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My High School buddy, the guy that sold the above M-12 to me has quite a collection of M-12's.

He has a set of unfired Browning M-12's in 410 (42), 28 and 20. The 20 and 28 have the same serial numbers. When he ordered them, he tried to get all three with same numbers but couldn't.

His dad was a Model 12 guy and the one I posted above was his. When he passed, he had notes on all of his guns on who was going to inherit them, this Pigeon Grade had my name on it, It said "I want Steve to have this" I paid his widow $1200.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I never could understand the insane prices on Winchester Model 42s

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
I never could understand the insane prices on Winchester Model 42s

That's because there are people involved. People bring insanity to places where you would never think it would exist.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Supply and Demand, yes it is actually a thing.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember when nobody wanted anything to do with an 1895 Winchester. They were always a bit pricey. But nothing like what ‘86’s and other rifles were bringing. That’s about the time when I could finally afford investing in them in my life. Ultimately, they have taken off again. I doubt the 1912 will do that again. But it presents an opportunity for old curmudgeons like myself ( dare I say boomer?🤣) to invest a couple more safe queens!😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/05/23.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by wdvicker
Just the other day I was in my LGS. They have a beautiful Pigeon Grade asking 3500. My wife wants to get a look at it. We are going tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thankfully a friend I shot with had his wife introduce my wife to the wonderful world of Trap Shooting. I'm pretty sure the gun belonged to my friend. He has passed away. He was the Illinois state champion in 1982. I'm going to have my brother check the serial#. He is married to my friends daughter. He has all of the information on the guns sold out of the estate. If it is I know she will want it. Again keeping my fingers crossed.

Like this one.

This is One of 480 Pigeon Grade Model 12's produced in 1985 in the Winchester Model 21 Custom Shop.
The last of the Y series.

Steve4102

Nice Model 12 but produced by U.S. Repeating Arms not Winchester, still a "Y" model 12, cast receiver and few other parts. You should check with Pauline on Shotgun World if engraved in house or outside engravers as remember those were not engraved by custom shop. Pauline will know for sure ......................

Last edited by Yote_Dog; 09/05/23.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by steve4102
Supply and Demand, yes it is actually a thing.

Rocket science.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 264mag, 160user, 320090T, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,401
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.