Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've got a two barreled trap set that hasn't been out of the safe in probably 10 years.
Bought it 40+ years ago. Back then that what you saw on the trap fields.
It would smoke those clays along way out there but it shot too high on game birds.
Maybe I should get it out and see if an old timer with an old time gun can still bust a few clays.

Last edited by FoxTrotter; 09/05/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had two model 12's. Both 12 gauge. Good guns but I never fell in love with them so I moved them on. But last year I found a 16 gauge model 12 at the LGS that felt like a dream and it was only $350. But then I saw it had 2.5" chambers and so I didn't take it home with me. I still regret that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1984 I had a neighbor [next door on 5 acres] that collected Win 1912 shotguns.
He said it took forever to find the 28 gauge.
He was going through his second divorce when I could hear his wife screaming at him "LOOSER!!".

Years later other people lived there and cleared some of the woods. They found his guns all rusty and hung them on the wall of their new barn.

Now they are Win 12 collectors.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've had two model 12's. Both 12 gauge. Good guns but I never fell in love with them so I moved them on. But last year I found a 16 gauge model 12 at the LGS that felt like a dream and it was only $350. But then I saw it had 2.5" chambers and so I didn't take it home with me. I still regret that

Model 1912 in 20ga. s/n 32xx, heck that's all they made then, resides at my house. Appears to have had the chamber lengthened & shoots modern shells just fine. It's my brothers & he has taken several limits of doves with it. Storing it for him after he got flooded out. I made sure it's dry & lubed.

We were at a small gun show & had gotten separated. I look at everything on every table. He looks mostly at old 22's & shotguns. He looked me up & asked me to go look a gun with him. The model 12 in question. It had finish issues, but zero damage, & hadn't been fired much. Then I saw the s/n & price. He wasn't sure & that's when I told him to buy it or I was. He said but your not a big model 12 fan & you'd buy it? You're damn skippy.

Just glad he did but one of us was. It's the oldest gun in my vault.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Could you get one in 16 gauge?

Yes…..but why?

16 is on a 20 gauge frame...light...under 6 pounds....quick and well balanced. About perfect for the uplands for those that can work one.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

A 20 is also a nice carry....

Under 6lb💩 or your scale is wrong. This is about what old 20ga Ithaca 37 with honeydipper forend weighs. To get lighter need Ultrafeatherweight with aluminum alloy receiver.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek

Yes…..but why?

16 is on a 20 gauge frame...light...under 6 pounds....quick and well balanced. About perfect for the uplands for those that can work one.

Under 6lb💩 or your scale is wrong. This is about what old 20ga Ithaca 37 with honeydipper forend weighs. To get lighter need Ultrafeatherweight with aluminum alloy receiver.

How would you know? You've never laid hands on anything discussed in this thread.

Fake eurotrash Spic

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Yes…..but why?

Cause it's the coolest.

16 is a great gauge for folks like me with neck problems. Throws a decent load, but not as harsh as a 12 on the shoulder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
In 1984 I had a neighbor [next door on 5 acres] that collected Win 1912 shotguns.
He was going through his second divorce when I could hear his wife screaming at him "LOOSER!!".

Years later other people lived there and cleared some of the woods. They found his guns all rusty and hung them on the wall of their new barn.

Kind of leaves a person wondering what it was that he was tightening. Might have been at least part of the reason for the divorce.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looked at Mdl 12 16ga in a pawn shop today. Cheap enough, but no way

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Supply and Demand, yes it is actually a thing.

And the artificial demand rarity and prestige add.
If they weren't rare and expensive, there are many who wouldn't want one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Kind of leaves a person wondering what it was that he was tightening. Might have been at least part of the reason for the divorce.

Careful. Around here spelling and grammar Nazis are regarded about as tenderly as Boomers😡

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Careful. Around here spelling and grammar Nazis are regarded about as tenderly as Boomers😡

He was an architect that had once worked as a draftsman at CCI.
He told me he had misrepresented his finances to his wife.
His obituary was 4 years ago.
The wife was a good looking blonde that was charming, except when I could hear her scream at him 800 feet away.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
They lost popularity because the 870 is simply a better shotgun.

Good guess!
...BUT...
The finished Win M12 was hand fitted. The Rem M870 was all stamped parts and didn't need fitting. Even the riveted ejector is done by machine.
It is MUCH easier and cheaper to sling some new parts at a nonoperating M870 than finding hard to locate M12 parts and then pay someone hand fit them to get it working again!

HEY --- MAGNUM_BOB!!!!

Look up "Nu-Line Custom Guns"! That's the last place that I know of that can/will/is able to replace and adjust those chamber rings back to "like-new"!

I have a 1926 model Win M12 16 gauge. It had that same problem.
Had a 'smith buddy, but he wouldn't touch it. HE packed it up and sent it to P.O. Ackley's shop out in SLC, UT!
Got it back and it operated as slick as any new gun I ever picked up!
That was back in the early 70's and she's still just slick as a button!

If you're interested in getting it operational, I'd give them a shout. Either that or contact Briley in Houston, TX.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve been on the hunt, casually, for years now for a nice 17. Haven’t come across one yet that was affordable that didn’t have cracked wood. Someday.

Had a really good friend that used to say he wanted a Bng A5, but he wasn't willing to pay but $50! LOL!
He came in from work one day and told his wife he was going out to feed his dog.
When he didn't come back in, she went to check on him.
He was sitting, leaned back against a big pine tree, his hat laying on the ground beside him. Stone cold dead.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by Slavek

Yes…..but why?

How would you know? You've never laid hands on anything discussed in this thread.

Fake eurotrash Spic

Don’t be too hard on him. I was thinking of my Ithaca 37 28 gauge…which goes just under 6 pounds.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember when my cousin's got to bird hunting age they both got 12 gauge guns.

My Uncle bought a 16 gauge out of self defense, just to keep his boys from shooting up HIS ammo!

Virgil B.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.