Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot of old safes, and I’m talking about real stand up heavy safes, the kinds you used to see in old stores and old banks had cyanide capsules that would break and kill you if you tried to drill the safe.

I know a guy who bought a building that had one of those in it and a routine fire inspector realized the capsule was still intact. So the owner let them bring in hazmat and do a little practice taking it out and destroying it. About six months later he got a call (from the company I think) looking for old safes with the capsules intact for their museum. They had tracked that one down and were hoping the capsule was still intact. They had been prepared to offer him $60k for it if he hadn’t had the capsule destroyed. lol

Last edited by JoeBob; 09/06/23.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Originally Posted by Bry
Originally Posted by silver78
My old manual safe has no such back door.

They’d just give them the actual combination. E-locks can be changed, Liberty would have no way of knowing what the combo would be hence the back door code.

Bought an electronic safe at a yard sale. Owner didn’t have combo. Contacted the company and sent them an affidavit and serial number, they sent me the unchangeable factory combo so i could input a new one for myself.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
[quote=Bry][quote=silver78]My old manual safe has no such back door.

That’s why I won’t buy an e lock. I’m sure there is a factory code for the dial combos also

Hunt...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bry

They’d just give them the actual combination. E-locks can be changed, Liberty would have no way of knowing what the combo would be hence the back door code.
About 15 years I bought a Legacy gun safe with a S & G electronic lock. The paperwork that came with it informed me that it had this back door combination and that I could delete it if I chose to by entering a code.
Merely setting my own combo would not override or delete the back door combination.
They were at least honest about the back door combo. Too bad other manufacturers aren't as up front about it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bry

Mechanical dial lock combos can be changed as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure Liberty (ironic name now) is going to regret this.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ironic considering the name. I own 4 liberty safes.

Bb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
mad

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Safes: I only need one more.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's an override code. Needed for several things in the manufacturing and customer service end of things.

But no reason to let the feds have it. Fuggem. Let them get a court order and/or cut into the safe.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Originally Posted by Bry

About 15 years I bought a Legacy gun safe with a S & G electronic lock. The paperwork that came with it informed me that it had this back door combination and that I could delete it if I chose to by entering a code.
Merely setting my own combo would not override or delete the back door combination.
They were at least honest about the back door combo. Too bad other manufacturers aren't as up front about it.

Nope.

This is a combo that is built in and can be used to unlock it for a while bunch of reasons. No getting rid of it. It is NOT the 123456 that is set in the store.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Bry

Mechanical dial lock combos can be changed as well.

Yep. But they still have a second code that will open the lock, which you don't know about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So is it really a safe?

Hasn't exactly been a secret.

Any retail gun safe can be easily drilled by a competent locksmith.

Not that makes what Liberty did acceptable.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Holy Crap! It's all about his being a protester on January 6th.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is why you keep them in the center console of your truck or a baggie in the shower.

Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Once the end user receives his safe, and his chosen combination is programmed in, Liberty safe should ask their customer if they'd like them to keep the back door code on file, or if they'd like that record to be destroyed. If they were a decent company that cared about their customers, that's how they'd handle it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not a lawyer, don't know exactly how this could play out .....

Important Info – If You Own a Liberty Safe, Get Rid of It – Company Provides Govt Access Codes to All Their Products

In a recent J6 case it has been revealed .......

Liberty Safe Co. gave the FBI the access code that would allow them to open the safe, without relying on (or asking) the owner to open it.

This is alarming on a few levels. First, why does Liberty even hold an override code for their safes.

Second, why didn’t Liberty just tell the FBI they do not own the safe, therefore the issue of compliance is between the owner and the FBI?

This is a ridiculous position easily avoided by saying, “we don’t own the safe.” <---- !!!

The bottom line is to avoid all the Liberty Safe products that allow them to access your private holdings, including gun safes and personal papers. If you own a Liberty Safe, just get rid of it. It’s compromised. Write it off to a lesson learned and forget about it.

Hat Tip: Sundance

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/06/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Liberty Safes are China Junk…

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Slowtrollr
Liberty Safes are China Junk…
Only the Liberty Safes line sold through big box stores (their economy models) are made in China. The ones typically carried by gun stores and safe stores are made in the USA.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.