B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Not for moccasins, moron!

Guessing one coat would work for your mall walkers or your favorite: open-toed sandals!

Don't know why you show up here being a fn ignorant couch trekker.
Having met, hunted, fished, shot and more with hundreds of folks from the fire I am not very concerned about your appraisal skills. And even less impressed with your footwear selection skills.

But do go on.
So there are hundreds of members here who don't mind hanging out and hunting with a known thief. I'm shocked I tell ya, just shocked ! I won't hang around with thieves myself. Nor do the words of a thief carry any weight with me as it's been my experience that they're liars as well.
Just keep preaching what you know nothing about.

Old guy fight old guy fight!!!!
Leave Blackshart alone, he is miserable enough.
Not much I hate worse than a thievin scumbag.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
Good way to ruin the leather. Ask me how I know.
Well…..how bout it guru??

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP here

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Montana pitch blend has worked for me for many years https://www.montanapitchblend.com/

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and while I'm not going to go back through the entire thread, believe this already came up here. Have been using it for probably at least 15 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I didn’t title the thread very well I think. The reason I started the thread was to describe the method I used for applying the Bees wax to a second pair of boots.

The first method I used was very messy and seemed to transfer a lot more heat into the boot (melted in pot, applied liquid with toothbrush, finish with heat gun).

My second attempt worked out a lot better.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I didn’t title the thread very well I think. The reason I started the thread was to describe the method I used for applying the Bees wax to a second pair of boots.

The first method I used was very messy and seemed to transfer a lot more heat into the boot (melted in pot, applied liquid with toothbrush, finish with heat gun).

to have Leather Boots to last many years > NEETS FOOT OIL and applied with a small paint brush . i work outside all my life tried other oils when young then when i became a pole climber /Lineman for 35 years that worked in all kinds of weather in Northern Minnesota my leather boots lasted at least 2 years before i had to have the boots resoled but the leather never wore out once treated with Neets Foot oil.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Lot of this depends if your footwear has a liner or unlined or uninsulated. I wear tin cloth quite an bit of the year and make my own wax for my canvas. Mostly I've used Hubbard's or obendorfs boot conditioner for my boots in woods and my leather miner boots.
I have been using plain beeswax for many decades on all sorts and brands of boots. Lined and unlined, makes zero difference aside from eliminating breathability.

Exactly my experience also. The standard breathable, waterproof membrane in the guts of boots today is GoreTex or a GoreTex clone. If you use beeswax on the outside of the boot (and I did for my AK and wet climate, cold weather boots) the boots no longer breathe. However, they are waterproof as long as the membrane is intact. My new boots required almost 1/4 pound of beeswax, and I used a heat gun carefully.

If you think beeswax or Snoseal will waterproof a full leather boot, you are in for a damp awakening. Best you'll get is a degree of water resistance. In cold weather this is a non-starter for me. In AZ I don't use waterproof boots 95% of the time. AK gets the beeswax/Goretex leather boot. Fortunately Thinsulate is minimally impacted by dampness. I think for full-winter hunting Micky-type boots would be better, or snow machine boots, because my existing beeswax leather ones wouldn't be warm enough for high mileage snow machine or ATV work in temps well below zero.

After 5 decades of hunting, crocs with good socks and woodstove proximity have been the best hunting footwear smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by mod7rem

to have Leather Boots to last many years > NEETS FOOT OIL and applied with a small paint brush . i work outside all my life tried other oils when young then when i became a pole climber /Lineman for 35 years that worked in all kinds of weather in Northern Minnesota my leather boots lasted at least 2 years before i had to have the boots resoled but the leather never wore out once treated with Neets Foot oil.
I love neatsfoot oil….for softening old, dried, neglected, leather that I need softened.

Never for waterproofing boots.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I appreciate that we are back to exchanging polite views on boot care. I like to mix a little pine tar into commercial mink oil and beeswax preparations. Good for the leather and gives a bit of water resistance.
I should just by a tub from the same folks Mule Deer does but you know; a tinkerer tinkers…

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
On boots I like to keep I follow the manufacturer’s directions on boot care.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just take them out of the box, then wear them. Oil makes leather soft and attracts dirt. In my experience Oil or wax or whatever just makes them break down faster and weakens them. I don't see how people can get boots to last so long. If I get 2 years, I'm happy. But I Quail hunt and call coyotes 90 percent and big game 10 percent. Schnees beartooths last good as do danner rainforest. But in my case, grass and dead weeds are super abrasive.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hubards boot grease here. Treating the boots as needed. I'm not sure, but I think Montana pitch blend, is real similar to Hubards. Hubards is all I have used on my smokejumpers. Of the three pair I have, one pair was purchased in 1990. Rebuilt once and resoled three times. I'll stick to Hubards. We all have our favorite products.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Just take them out of the box, then wear them. Oil makes leather soft and attracts dirt. In my experience Oil or wax or whatever just makes them break down faster and weakens them. I don't see how people can get boots to last so long. If I get 2 years, I'm happy. But I Quail hunt and call coyotes 90 percent and big game 10 percent. Schnees beartooths last good as do danner rainforest. But in my case, grass and dead weeds are super abrasive.
Grass and dead weeds are abrasive on leather? Try crossing shale scree. I have literally worn through leather boots in a single hunt.

Wax keeps the water out and reduces wear like nothing else.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooohhhh...report generated? Location name and we can access it.
Funny.. you obviously learnt a few things... like the FACT you are an idiot POS. Like the fact I an in the 99.9% for height. Yet you had me pegged at short.

You pegged me at "short" because it means a lot to you. I am in the 99.9% metric.

That proves several things...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Funny.. you obviously learnt a few things... like the FACT you are an idiot POS. Like the fact I an in the 99.9% for height. Yet you had me pegged at short.

You pegged me at "short" because it means a lot to you. I am in the 99.9% metric.

Sheriff Joe is a retard and you're seven feet tall?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A whannnbulance has been dispatched to your location. Until it arrives, continue screaming at the sky.

Obvious, it doesn't take much to trigger you, little guy. Neighbors put red flags on your trailer, yet?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane
I swear to gawd this place is like the movie Ground Hog Day whenever the topic of boot conditioning comes up. And with the same lead actor.

Have you tried intermittent fasting?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Good afternoon, almost getting to be evening I suppose and regardless I hope that today treated you acceptably thus far and that you're healthy.

Regarding intermittent fasting, I've got a couple family members who've found that to be helpful as it reduces their evening impulse eating. Unless I'm misunderstanding what intermittent fasting is and then that'd render the statement moot..... blush

However, when I met the new neighbors across the gully the other morning - a couple other neighbors had hazed a pair of recalcitrant 3 year old black bears up a tree in the new folks' place, I was wearing Zamberlan's that I'd waxed.

Oh and the new neighbors have bees, so promised me some beeswax this fall when they harvest the honey. grin

But I don't believe that the bees, the new neighbors or either of the bears practiced intermittent fasting.

Pro tip of the day is DO NOT stand underneath black bears who are stressed out smokepole, most especially if they've been raiding the neighborhood vineyards all night. The velocity and volume of the grape excrement was impressive.

Anyways sir, I've now lost all semblance of staying remotely on topic and will end with a sincere wish for a good season for you in all your hunts.

The eldest daughter and I were out once together so far but only saw a trio of Nuttall's Cottontails which are fairly rare here and a small adult bobcat which aren't rare exactly but it's been years since we've seen one.

Again good hunting, regardless of your boot dressing.. wink

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/14/23. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Pro tip of the day is DO NOT stand underneath black bears who are stressed out smokepole, most especially if they've been raiding the neighborhood vineyards all night. The velocity and volume of the grape excrement was impressive.

LOL, thanks for the laugh Dwayne. I just got back from a muzzleloader hunt, no elk this year with the smokepole. One morning I was back in camp and had a fair sized black bear come straight in from downwind. No flying grape excrement, but he was disappointed to find a human there and was in no hurry to leave.

Of course, I had neglected to get a bear tag.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.