Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was never much of a Skeeter Skelton follower but I read all of his gun publications material, beginning in the '60s. I didn't care for the wild tales; I preferred to read about guns and handloading, topics his articles covered to a limited extent. However, a couple of the very best gun articles I've ever read were written by Skeeter Skelton. As I recall they were 100% gun articles and were written forty years ago. I don't have copies. These were SHOOTING TIMES articles about the limited re-introduction of the Smith & Wesson Model 24 as the 24-3 in about 1982 or '83.

After reading the articles, I had to have a new 24-3. I don't know whether the guns were actually avaialble for sale when he wrote the review/ test piece as it took many months for me to find a 4" gun. It was worth the search.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by RiverRider
My departed uncle gave me a copy of Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey many years ago. Then after he passed I was given his copy of Hoglegs, Hipshots, and Jalapenos. Someone borrowed that one from me and no one will own up to it, so it's gone. I just spent $135 smackers for another copy of my own just this afternoon because I figure I'll never see my original copy again.

I loved Skeeter's "Me 'n' Joe" stories, and still do. They remind me so much of my adventures and misadventures as a kid...I feel like I could be either of those boys, and see it all happening through their eyes as I read the words.

I took my wife to Angel Fire, New Mexico last Fall, and as my habit is now to avoid interstate highways altogether and stay on the more desolate paths, I passed through some unfamiliar and downright lonesome country in the Texas panhandle on the way home. I'll be damned if I didn't drive over a small bridge spanning Tierra Blanca Creek. I didn't have time to loiter (I shoulda made some time) at all...but Skeeter would have been happy to hear that it had water in it and it appeared to be flowing nicely. IIRC, he lamented the creek's poor condition during the latter days of his life. Next time I'll stop and take a closer look at it.

Was that up close to Hereford, TX ?

I guess it had to have been, Neal. There is no doubt that it was Tierra Blanca Creek, and I was out in the middle of nowhere in the panhandle. Cut me some slack for not knowing exactly where I was---I grew up with a mountain in sight at just about all times, and sometimes was right smack dab in the middle of em. If I don't have mountains to look at I sometimes am not real sure where I am.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo
I feel fortunate that I bought Good Guns & Hoglegs decades ago & having read & re-read them many times. Just good stuff across the board, both fiction & non-fiction.
Hell, Dobe Grant stories had my minds eye working overtime picturing the Adobe cabin, lay of the land, the remoteness of it all, etc. Broke my hearty when someone that should know, Taffin, told me that those stories were fictional.

One of my favorites in the day.

IIRC, SS wrote that Dobe Grant and his Turkey Track Ranch were modeled on LTC Evans Quiros and his Shipp Ranch near Oilton in Webb County, TX.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want to say this is a feeble recollection of a Skeeter tale, but if wrong we’ll have to play Name That Writer. Seems the border cops had 2 buses of I believe the term used was wetbacks, headed to a drop off point in the dark of night. The writer was in the first bus being harangued to no end by one troublemaker which incited the rest of the attendees to join in the chatter. Having had all he could take writer proceeded have the bus stopped, collared the loudmouth, dragged him to the front and off the bus and to a spot near bus #2 and out of sight of #1.

At this point he unholstered his revolver, fired a shot into the night, loaded loudmouth onto bus #2 and returned to his seat. As the story goes the remainder of the trip was quite peaceable. If this was not a Skeeter tale it probably should have been.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by memtb
I think that I kept my subscription for Shooting Times for only one year after Skeeter’s passing……it just wasn’t the same! memtb

After buying copies from the rack for a long time, my subscription started with the first issue from which he was missing. I did not renew.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
I want to say this is a feeble recollection of a Skeeter tale, but if wrong we’ll have to play Name That Writer. Seems the border cops had 2 buses of I believe the term used was wetbacks, headed to a drop off point in the dark of night. The writer was in the first bus being harangued to no end by one troublemaker which incited the rest of the attendees to join in the chatter. Having had all he could take writer proceeded have the bus stopped, collared the loudmouth, dragged him to the front and off the bus and to a spot near bus #2 and out of sight of #1.

At this point he unholstered his revolver, fired a shot into the night, loaded loudmouth onto bus #2 and returned to his seat. As the story goes the remainder of the trip was quite peaceable. If this was not a Skeeter tale it probably should have been.

Sure sounds like a Skeeter story to me, but honestly I am not able to recall that from my memory banks (although that means little).

Kinda reminds me of when he spied one of the local troublemakers sitting on the curb one Sunday morning while patrolling and stopped to see if there was a reason to collar the dude. To impress him, he grabbed his quart bottle of beer in its paper sack, threw it in the air and shot at it while airborne---and missed, after which the beer bottle landed next to its original owner fully intact. And fully embarrassed, Skeeter said "...and let that be a lesson to you" and got in his car and left. Pure Skeeter! His sense of humor was unmatched and his writing style couldn't possibly have been better.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
River Rider, I think that was in an article on his most embarrassing misses. I enjoyed that article!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bought a Walther PPKS in 22 LR and fitted it with MMC adjustable sights like Skeeter did in the end figured Skeeter was a much better shooter than me!!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.