Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gearhead7
Anyone have experience with the Kowa mini spotter?
If it is the 554 you are referring to - yes. It is in a different league; as it should be for the price. Absolutely fantastic optics for the weight.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Vortex changes their models a lot. Blowing out the previous model with low pricing. This means facing greatly diminished resale cams at upgrade time. That keeps me from buying vortex anything very often. I like to preserve my investment on optics so I can upgrade later.

Buying optics isn't an investment like your 401k.
no but my nearly 15 year old swaro el range are worth 2 grand still. I bought used latest generation el range, for $2800. it cost me only $800 to have and upgrade. YES resale value matters. I don't think high end vortex preserves that. I think their mid to lower tier your not spending enough to really matter on the loss.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
yes, the 554/553. I wonder what the difference, if any, there is between those Kowas and the Swaro 17-40. would be interesting to see

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that's a big concern for you, great, but I personally buy glass based upon desired features not potential resale value.

Same goes for rifles and pistols.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
yes, the 554/553. I wonder what the difference, if any, there is between those Kowas and the Swaro 17-40. would be interesting to see
Supposedly the swaro has a wider field of view. It’s also heavier and more $.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the Swarovski has a wider FOV and the eyepiece is a bit easier to get behind (not as finicky)

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Question is whether that is worth the ~$1000 difference.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My experience so far with Spotting Scopes - skip Vortex. If you want a decent pair of $100 Binoculars, maybe Vortex is a good option, otherwise some of their scopes WHEN on Sale are good value.

But the Spotting Scopes are not.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aether_tech
My experience so far with Spotting Scopes - skip Vortex. If you want a decent pair of $100 Binoculars, maybe Vortex is a good option, otherwise some of their scopes WHEN on Sale are good value.

Wait, what?

Aren't you the guy in an earlier thread who was comparing his Tasco spotting scope to his new Vortex Diamond Back spotting scope?

Ol' Son, the $100 binocular thread is a page down or so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://www.rokslide.com/swarovski-atc-compact-spotting-scope-review/

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Confirming my suspicions...will have to save up I believe.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by skeen

Wait, what?

Aren't you the guy in an earlier thread who was comparing his Tasco spotting scope to his new Vortex Diamond Back spotting scope?

Yes, I was, before I went and LEARNED and checked out other spotting scope options by physically going to sporting and camera stores and peering into various spotting scopes from a dozen different companies. The Vortex stuff at the same price points, was inferior visually (especially in long-range glass quality.) The only way Vortex is a good buy is at half-MSRP. (which is how i got my Diamondback,) but at regular MSRP I wouldn't consider anything from them - Rifle, or Spotting scope.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Wait, what?

Yes, I was, before I went and LEARNED and checked out other spotting scope options by physically going to sporting and camera stores and peering into various spotting scopes from a dozen different companies. The Vortex stuff at the same price points, was inferior visually (especially in long-range glass quality.) The only way Vortex is a good buy is at half-MSRP. (which is how i got my Diamondback,) but at regular MSRP I wouldn't consider anything from them - Rifle, or Spotting scope.

Are you saying your views on a Diamondback line have anything to do with the Razor line?

“Lighten up Francis”
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by micky

Wait, what?

Are you saying your views on a Diamondback line have anything to do with the Razor line?
on the low end yes, and on the high end after side-by side reviewing a razor, and a nikon, and a zeiss, and a leupold.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Wait, what?

Has anyone ever paid MSRP for a Vortex product? I sure have not. About 75% of MSRP for current products and 50% for out of date products. This new spotter MSRP is $1299, Street price $999, Good deal around $850.

FWIW: Just the eyepiece for my ATS runs about $650, so if you are expecting this little spotter to be better than an ATS - you will probably be disappointed. But if you need a compact, serviceable spotter for 1/3 the price of a Swaro then I think this fills a niche.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
There’s a big reason why Vortex has a no questions asked warranty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s a big reason why Vortex has a no questions asked warranty

Whaddya mean?

Vortex offers a great warranty, you know, kinda' like Swarovski.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Wish I had gotten a Swarovski...Man that thing had amazing glass in it, and good eye relief too.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The value of this new guy is undeniable. It’s just like camo. You don’t have to wear just one brand.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by spence1875
I like my small 50 mm Nikon ED spotter for taking in pack, almost the identical twin to the 50 razor. I know it’s limitations, but its size makes up for them.

That being said I am going to check out the new 56 razor.
I've had Zeiss, Leica and Swaro ATS 65 HD but they're now gone. I'm still using my Nikon 50 ED and it's been outstanding in that size range. My next purchase will be something with an MRAD eyepiece.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 160user, 1936M71, 48 invisible), 10,332 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,348
Posts18,546,612
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.