Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Quick update.

Added the weighted arca rail and some adhesive WWs in the forearm and it's still a tad light in the front end. Added a 2nd brass weight on the front of the rail. With the bipod attached, it's still off a little. It is shooting very well though. Couple of groups with SK LR and Lapua LR:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Lapua turned in a .169" 5 shot group, then a .348" 5 shot group. SK long range was in the .4s for both groups.

Today I tested some TAC 22 and was pleasantly surprised. It groups under .5" at 50 and stays on a 4" plate at 220yds and an 8" plate at 307yds. The chrono stats aren't great, low double digit SD, but it's only .1mil under the Lapua LR zero, so it will work pretty well for practice.

The rifle as it's set up now:

Plan now is to just practice with it. I can't make he AUG match, so I'll be shooting for SEP.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
50 yards off old shot bags filled with sand and my truck tailgate. Basically gunned them as quick as I can. B14R with carbon barrel topped with an Arken.

60 rounds, Eley Target (yellow box)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Me

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Teal
50 yards off old shot bags filled with sand and my truck tailgate. Basically gunned them as quick as I can. B14R with carbon barrel topped with an Arken.

60 rounds, Eley Target (yellow box)

Excellent!

What other loads have you tried in it?

I just got a brick of Lapua LR in, but it's not the same lot as the one I tested that shot so well, so who knows? My plan is to spring for a barrel tuner next week, that way I can at least adjust a little due to the inability to get enough of the same load. It's a theory anyway.

A friend just bought a Tikka TX1 MTR that he's bringing over on SAT so we can zero it and test some loads. He's managed to get some Eley Tenex and Team that we'll try.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those were the only ones I tried. First 100 rounds down the tube ever, target shows the last 60.

I wasted about 15 trying to figure out why I couldn't get on paper at 50, turns out I had the zero stop set 2 revolutions above bottom so 16 mil up on a 40 MOA base - was whistling them over the top. Finally figured it out lol.

Pretty happy with the rifle TBH.

Me

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Teal
Those were the only ones I tried. First 100 rounds down the tube ever, target shows the last 60.

I wasted about 15 trying to figure out why I couldn't get on paper at 50, turns out I had the zero stop set 2 revolutions above bottom so 16 mil up on a 40 MOA base - was whistling them over the top. Finally figured it out lol.

Pretty happy with the rifle TBH.

LOL!

Same thing happened to me SUN. I was practicing an NRL22 CoF shooting off a steel folding chair at 65yds and 110 yards on swingers. Took a break then went back to the 65 and forgot to reset.. even at only a 35yd delta the rounds sailed clear over the steel.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where are y'all finding the best prices on the the B14R's?

Been looking at one for a little while and think I might just have to get one.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by DCR48
Just did a quick check, Optic Planet has a Trigger Tech Primary Independence for 128$. It says in stock.

"In stock" at optics planet doesn't mean the same thing as "in stock" does elsewhere.

At least that's been my experience with them.

True.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pullit
Where are y'all finding the best prices on the the B14R's?

Been looking at one for a little while and think I might just have to get one.

I went with Scheels and used a couple hundred dollars worth of points.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Picked up a B14-R carbon barreled action recently & put it in a Woox Exactus stock. She's not terribly fussy with ammo but she really likes some SK I had in the ammo closet...

[img]https://imgur.com/XbWTHRm[/img]

Attached Images
B14 tight groups.jpg (40.76 KB, 265 downloads)
Last edited by CamNWIA; 09/03/23.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CamNWIA
Picked up a B14-R carbon barreled action recently & put it in a Woox Exactus stock. She's not terribly fussy with ammo but she really likes some SK I had in the ammo closet...

Very cool!

Mine's not fussy either from what I can see. I mounted an EC V2 Tuner and have been dialing in my practice ammo (TAC22), so far so good. It shaved about .1 off the groups, but the occasional flyer is still there. Does OK out to 200 on a 4" plate. I've got to play with my Lapua LR next to get ready for an upcoming match. The tuner added 4 OZ to the front, and now it balances just in front of the magazine.

Friend and I have gotten into this so much we put together a .22LR practice range on my 100-300yd range.

Here's some groups from this morning, working with Norma TAC22 and a new EC V2 Tuner:

and managed to get several decent 5 shot groups with it. The two on the right are both under .4" the top measures .32" and the bottom .38". I don't consider it match grade, but for practice, especially off of props, my misses are by more than a couple .1s. Top group on the left was cold bore, so 1 high, then the rest settled in.

SD/ES wise it's "OK", low teens. Definitely not SK LR or Lapua LR quality, but I'm getting it for $38.00 . My last brick of Lapua was just shy of $200 delivered.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 09/04/23.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by CamNWIA

Very cool!

Mine's not fussy either from what I can see. I mounted an EC V2 Tuner and have been dialing in my practice ammo (TAC22), so far so good. It shaved about .1 off the groups, but the occasional flyer is still there. Does OK out to 200 on a 4" plate. I've got to play with my Lapua LR next to get ready for an upcoming match. The tuner added 4 OZ to the front, and now it balances just in front of the magazine.

Friend and I have gotten into this so much we put together a .22LR practice range on my 100-300yd range.

Here's some groups from this morning, working with Norma TAC22 and a new EC V2 Tuner:

and managed to get several decent 5 shot groups with it. The two on the right are both under .4" the top measures .32" and the bottom .38". I don't consider it match grade, but for practice, especially off of props, my misses are by more than a couple .1s. Top group on the left was cold bore, so 1 high, then the rest settled in.

SD/ES wise it's "OK", low teens. Definitely not SK LR or Lapua LR quality, but I'm getting it for $38.00 . My last brick of Lapua was just shy of $200 delivered.

Nice!

If your guns likes SK ammo, another more modest price option is the SK Pistol Match. Brownell's has it for $80/brick currently. It does pretty well for me and finding Lapua is about impossible at the moment and/or arm/leg pricing if you do find any...

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
THANKS!, but just sprang for a brick of Eley Club..

So at least for practice ammo I'm set for a while.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, when I get home from deer hunting I'll be able to pick up my son's lefty B14r.

He told me he "needs" the same scope as his deer rifle on it.

Should be fun.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the little guy got it set up and sighed in. It loves the Standard Velocity, and at 25 yards there's only 1/4"at most POI change between with the can and without.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update time. Switched to an Ares UHD 3-18 scope to keep the Helos on a "killing" rifle. The more we shoot this, the more I like it. No feeding issues with 4 magazines or single shot sled. It shoots Standard Velocity well, and Lapua Long Range REALLY well. I plan to try some other ammo as Good Shooting or Whidden have what I want to try in stock. I was thinking about a trigger upgrade when I purchased the rifle, as it takes 700 pattern triggers, but the stock is perfect for intended use. I also really am liking the stock, and thoughts of a chassis upgrade have also waned. Overall, I'm glad I went this route instead of Tikka simply because of everything being interchangeable with 700 pattern rifles. If you're looking for something to use as a "trainer" type .22lr, I'd take a look.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Update time. Switched to an Ares UHD 3-18 scope to keep the Helos on a "killing" rifle. The more we shoot this, the more I like it. No feeding issues with 4 magazines or single shot sled. It shoots Standard Velocity well, and Lapua Long Range REALLY well. I plan to try some other ammo as Good Shooting or Whidden have what I want to try in stock. I was thinking about a trigger upgrade when I purchased the rifle, as it takes 700 pattern triggers, but the stock is perfect for intended use. I also really am liking the stock, and thoughts of a chassis upgrade have also waned. Overall, I'm glad I went this route instead of Tikka simply because of everything being interchangeable with 700 pattern rifles. If you're looking for something to use as a "trainer" type .22lr, I'd take a look.

I've got a TriggerTech Diamond in mine. It is impressive. With the EC V2 Tuner it balances just about right, but I still wish I had a couple more inches of barrel out front.

I just got in a brick of RWS "Premium Special Match" to try. It's got pretty good reviews, Cabela's had it on sale and even at regular prices it's cheap enough to make decent practice ammo.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a TriggerTech Diamond in mine. It is impressive. With the EC V2 Tuner it balances just about right, but I still wish I had a couple more inches of barrel out front.

I just got in a brick of RWS "Premium Special Match" to try. It's got pretty good reviews, Cabela's had it on sale and even at regular prices it's cheap enough to make decent practice ammo.

I don't want to hear how awesome the TT is in this. I'm telling myself it's for my son to practice and get legit good at shooting for hunting, so the stock trigger is "good enough."

Did inventory, and with over 20,000 rounds of standard velocity on hand, he's gonna be shooting that. 😁

What rail and bipod are you using?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

I don't want to hear how awesome the TT is in this. I'm telling myself it's for my son to practice and get legit good at shooting for hunting, so the stock trigger is "good enough."

Did inventory, and with over 20,000 rounds of standard velocity on hand, he's gonna be shooting that. 😁

What rail and bipod are you using?

I hear ya, the TT's aren't cheap!

Atlas Bipod; Atlas BT10-LW17 with updated ArcaLock clamp from Area 419

Area 419 Weighted tunable arca rail: https://www.area419.com/product/universal-weight-tunable-arcalock-rail-and-kits/

Nothing wrong with the SV ammo, at lest for practice. With the tuner I've got the TAC22 pretty well dialed in and at 60yds I can stay on a 1/4" KYL paddle about 80% of the time prone supported. Off the props its definately a case of the often heard "it shoots better than I can". Off the bench, I can still see the occasional flyer.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Did the two sling stud locations match up, or did you need to install it with t-nuts?

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
It had to be installed using T nuts.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 01/15/24.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.