Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got this buck on the trail cam prior to the season but it was always late at night between 10:30pm and 2:30am. My son and I have hunted hard all season hoping to see him again and have passed on some nice bucks waiting on him. However, he has yet to show himself. My son was sick this weekend and could not go out so I decided to sleep in yesterday morning and go out early in the afternoon. Parked the truck at noon and instead of sitting in the stand decided to still hunt till dark. I had been sneaking around for several hours and was taking a break eating a sandwich under an old live oak. I was sitting against the tree in the shade when I caught movement in a clearing about 170 yards away, turns out it was a doe. She darted on across the clearing and I didnt think much about it. Five minutes later I look up and this buck is standing in the same spot sniffing the ground where she was standing.

I never put the binoculars on him knowing he was mature shooter just in his appearance. I used the shooting stix as a rest and put a 165gr. TSX from the Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 into his vitals. He dropped right there. It was awesome!

Normally my son does all the shooting and it was a great feeling to get the buck fever myself for a change! Normally we get in the stand prior to sunrise and hunt till about 9am, head back to camp, take a nap and go back out about 3pm and hunt till dark. It does pay off to hunt mid-day sometimes and break things up.

He was a little busted up from fighting and had one ear that was torn. I was traveling light and did not even have a camera with me. I would have love to got a few pics in the field prior to skinning but this was the best I could do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shooter buck there....
Sometimes you gotta get out of the blind and sneak around a bit...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the buck and nice rifle!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stroker - nice deer, nice rifle, and nice experience. Thanks for sharing. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the buck.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." Luke 11:21
IC B2

W
W
What part of Texas did you kill that buck. We hunt at the county line of Dimmit and Webb county and my friend got one just like yours the first day of the season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think he's in Edwards county...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Edwards county is correct, between Rocksprings and Sonora. Thanks for all the kind words.

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story and pics, very nice rifle. Great job

CK

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonderful hunt and great story! I have taken many Texas whitetails with an identical rifle. Makes me want to take the old Fwt '06 out of the safe and go hunting!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great deer. Sounds like a fun hunt. Normally we hunt early and late only. From now till the end of the season, it is an all day affair when possible. Never know what will happen during the rut.

Thanks for sharing.

stumpy

Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Normally for us its just too warm to sit in the stand all day. Weather was nice and cool this past weekend. Thanks goodness for the laptop and air-card during downtime.

Not only that but our landowner raises goats and when you get out and try to still hunt the goats follow you around hoping you have a feed bucket.

Last edited by Stroker; 12/17/07.

-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck, Congrats!!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats! Good buck.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck! I like the shape of that old buck's rack...

DJ

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Congrats nice to see someone is seeing good bucks. I thought for sure this would be the season of all seasons for bucks but all we have seen is small bucks so far in Fredericksburg. For some strange reason when the drought is on we see a lot more deer than years with decent rain fall. Seems like the rut is late also this year. Saw 2 6 points chasing does hard last Saturday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They've got so many acorns and other stuff to eat, they just don't have to move much to get full.

The weeds are so high still, that they hide deer in lots of places too, and make hogs a lot harder to see. Really a shame we can't see hogs better - missing out on lots of fun on targets of opportunity, tasty pork, and thinning them out when they really need it.

DJ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent story and pics! But that gun looks a little old and wore out...why don't you send it to me and I'll send you a new one almost just like it? grin

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Stroker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ltppowell, thanks for the offer, but I think I will keep it for a few more years. It has seen its share of Texas Whitetails and hogs. Handles like a dream and the action is like butter. I have actually been thinking here lately about putting a fixed 6X Leupold on it to cut the weight down a little more. I never use any setting on the 3x9 VXII other than 6x anyway.

-Ronald Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 23 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,760
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.