Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good conversation on defense weapons. I have shot and carried a lot of shotguns. I mean a lot of them. Burned hundreds (thousands through the 1300) of rounds through the four I use regularly. Hunted deer and feral hogs with all of the four. The most worn is a M1300 Winchester pump. 100% reliable so far and the fastest of the bunch. I did have to put a new ejector on it but it was time. I can point that one well enough to do head shots every time with it to 40 yards. Killed a bunch of doves with it flying crazy fast down creek beds. I have a relatively new (6 years ago new) to me Mossberg 88. Very reliable shotgun but not a very slick action. Been shot more than 500 times. The other two in this discussion are Remington Express shotguns one in 12 gauge and the other a 20 gauge. As for action slickness I rate them with the Mossberg. The 12 gauge had some functioning issues when new bit that has been fixed, traced to the little square of metal's angle in the new style follower. The 20 gauge I have had for more than 20 years. Abused horribly as a truck gun it has definitely proved it's worth in every aspect a shotgun needs proof. Of the four I would take the 1300 first if I knew bad things might happen. I have dabbled with a few Semi auto's a long time ago, Remington 1100's, A5's, a couple of Benelli's, don't own any of them now. In the AR v shotgun argument for under 30 yards and 2 or less assailants either is fine with me. Maybe a slight edge for the shotgun. Beyond 30 yards the AR all the way. This all said I am looking for a solid Semi auto shotgun to play with. Has to be slug friendly, not too heavy and dead reliable.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Perhaps you misunderstood the reference? Fella walks into an ambush in the jungle, he doesn't have much time to aim.

Not aiming seems like a great way to lose a gunfight….

DigitalDan is correct, and has been in firefights, have you?

I have not, hence the “seems”. I have seen shotguns shoot patterns at across the room distance that were one big hole so I’m skeptical about not aiming.

Setting aside my past experiences in combat, let me toss a few items worthy of consideration. If one has a shotgun that fits properly, aiming is not as item of consideration. Mount the gun, point it as you would in the hunting fields when a covey of quail erupt, and pull the trigger. Works daytime and night time, dang near every time. The important point if FIT. To be successful in the world of scatterguns, it has to fit. Illustration: Skeet shooters typically mount the gun before calling "pull". Sporting clays shooters do not. Eyes open, ready to mount and shoot, they call "pull". Reason is that they do not know where the clays are headed, and in some cases do not even know where they are being launched. More like bird shooting than skeet by a couple miles or so.

Some years ago I pursued the clays game because it was available in my neighborhood. Skeet, trap, sporting clays were the games. Well, we also had live pigeon shoots, but that's another tale. When I first delved into the games, I did what other shooters did, ie. mounted the gun and called "pull". After about a year of that I started calling "pull", then mounted the gun and shot; singles or doubles. My average score for all of the clays games hovered on the threshold of A to AA class, except for the pigeon shoots. None of them every got away from me. Not a single one.

Guns with red dots/lasers etc. suffer a minor issue IMHO. Say it's dark, you're home and someone breaks in; or maybe there's a revolution ongoing and it's dark when the enemy approaches. Turn on your sight and you ID yourself and position to the enemy. OTOH, wait quietly until you see the shadow, mount your old scattergun and blow a hole in them. They're a little farther out? OK, I have to admit I've never known a person that could take a face full of #6 shot at 40 yards and continue forward as if nothing happened. If you're really mean, shoot'm in the crotch.

Last point, going back to the days in Nam. A lot of people tried to nail me with spray and pray.....it didn't work. How can that be? I mean, 10-20 little people, AK's rock'n rollin', and they only nicked me once in 2.5 years of sport. Range anywhere from 20-150 yards or so most times.

Fella takes the time to aim in close quarters, he gonna feel some pain.

Glad they missed you Dan. You’re needed here.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with your search. The guys I shoot clays with have a wide variety of autos, from cheap Turkish ones to spendy models from Beretta, Browning, Benelli, etc. All of them hang up at one time or another, whether due to lack of maintenance, ammo, or just crappy quality I can’t say. My Browning Gold Hunter 20 had a single whoopsie yesterday, reason unknown, in a 75-round session. It’s been cleaned recently, and isn’t dry, so WTF knows? I cleared it and kept going. Pumps mostly fail IMO due to operator error. Practice makes perfect, hopefully….

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good luck with your search. The guys I shoot clays with have a wide variety of autos, from cheap Turkish ones to spendy models from Beretta, Browning, Benelli, etc. All of them hang up at one time or another, whether due to lack of maintenance, ammo, or just crappy quality I can’t say. My Browning Gold Hunter 20 had a single whoopsie yesterday, reason unknown, in a 75-round session. It’s been cleaned recently, and isn’t dry, so WTF knows? I cleared it and kept going. Pumps mostly fail IMO due to operator error. Practice makes perfect, hopefully….
Pumps fail when operated by uncoordinated retards. I've hunted nearly exclusively with pump shotguns for 46 years in all kinds of nasty conditions, snow, sleet, freezing rain, sub zero temps and never had a single malfunction. Not one. On the other hand, I've hunted alongside lots of people using autoloaders and seen nearly all fail, particularly when very cold.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I was there (RVN) we had Stevens 77E pumps. Occasionally saw an M12 Win, one guy even had a sawed off SxS 12ga.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thought crosses my mind that the choice of arms is a personal one and hopefully that choice is reliable and effective. Having made clear that I prefer shotguns for close quarter brawls in the house or close confines of same, I suggest that most of you will look at your circumstances and make a rational choice. This thread is about pumps or autos and I have both. My choice is a pump. Given different scenarios, such as thin woods or open country I'd certainly prefer a rifle. That said, don't EVER underestimate your opponent/target, regardless of what they carry.

To illustrate that point, how many quail have you shot the heads off of in flight...intentionally? Given a pack of hogs that are close, and don't run until the first shot, how many do you think you could kill with a break action single shot shotgun before they were lost in the woods?

My response: More than I can count, because if I did otherwise there would be nothing left for the skillet. It is necessary inside 20' or so. Pigs? 4 with a H&R .410 with slugs. 5 shots, 4 pigs and the last one splattered blood all over my jeans.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting to see other folks opinions.

A while back some friends and I were busting some clays in the backyard with various shotguns. Everyone liked my M2. Then it did what a Benelli doesn't do and locked up...no opening it. I sat it aside, kinda pissed, and switched to an 870 HD gun and after a few rounds it locked up as well. After that I took time to look at what happened. Both were using the same cheap Walmart low brass...and both pulled/bent the brass causing the guns to lock up. I had to take both apart and push the empties out. Either would have failed, so sometimes more than platform matters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pumps have issues that can cause them to choke. That is exactly why there have been immediate action drills developed to get them back up and running when they do puke.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Love the sound of a pump action shotgun. For two legged predators just the sound of a pump jacking a round into the action might even forstall the need to fire a shot!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Westermas, I respectfully disagree. It gives away your position. It tells me your weapon was not loaded and ready the go. Lots of things can go wrong if your weapon is not ready to go. It tells a determined bad guy he must shoot first. It's very much like pulling a handgun as a show of force. Never a good idea. I do not possess weapons to frighten or threaten people.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah, I’ve never been able to wrap my head around an action movie, leave my chamber empty way to long, pump the shotgun for effect thing. If I think I may NEED a gun, whether AR or shotgun, one’s going in the chamber as soon as I pick it up. Pistols are kept with one in the pipe all the time.

Not to mention no one would hear the pump action anyway over the alarm going off, dogs barking, etc.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been doing a demo every week that involves a 14" 870 and five shells of 00 buck.

One shell shot at the 50, 30, 25, 15, and the 7.

Lots of lightbulbs come on.

Then some guys say "but I like the shotgun" or "my dad was in Vietnam and..."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speculation on my part, but short barreled shotguns might be gay.

Not speculation: smaller size buck patterns better and penetrates just dandy. #1-#3 buck is the schizzle.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i duck hunt i use a semi-auto shotgun ,BUT for home defense 357 Revolver, flashlight and a pump shotgun all loaded next to my bed , truck has a 357 Revolver , 1911 45 acp both loaded , down stairs pump shotgun loaded ,AR-15 556 loaded with extra mags loaded. > best weapon in a close range gun fight well always be a short barreled pump shotgun ! <

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
BS, a quality semi auto shotgun is better than any pump.
Suppose you get shot in one arm, the semi will still function, not the pump

Last edited by jwp475; 09/09/23.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Not speculation: smaller size buck patterns better and penetrates just dandy. #1-#3 buck is the schizzle.

I'd tend to agree but show me a department mass issuing 18" barrels and #1s.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475
BS, a quality semi auto shotgun is better than any pump.
Suppose you get shot in one arm, the semi will still function, not the pump

I don't need to get shot in the arm to find tremendous value in the semi-auto shotgun.

In 2023 pumps are junk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by texasbatman
There is something frightening about the sound of a pump shotgun being cycled. smile

Jim

The most frightening part of it is that someone would choose to cheat themselves out of a round for the sake of the sound. Why do we not consider the same with our semi-auto handguns. Wouldn't the sound of the slide racking hav the same effect?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd tend to agree but show me a department mass issuing 18" barrels and #1s.

Uh, dunno where that would be. Haven’t store shopped for guns and ammo in many, many moons.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I've been doing a demo every week that involves a 14" 870 and five shells of 00 buck.

One shell shot at the 50, 30, 25, 15, and the 7.

Lots of lightbulbs come on.

Then some guys say "but I like the shotgun" or "my dad was in Vietnam and..."

deflave;
Top of the morning Travis, I hope the weekend is behaving for you folks and you're all well.

After decades of playing with 18½" cylinder bore pump guns, it was an eye opener for me the difference that 4½" less barrel made, both for blast and pattern.

Being honest, I've not even bothered patterning past 25yds with shot in mine and that was #4 buck I want to say. Usually I'm throwing slugs because that's the standard shoo bear load - either Brenneke or Guilandi slugs for carry and whatever was on sale for practice.

Again if I lived in a free country that believed my personal well being was remotely valuable I'd carry a revolver or 10mm auto for meat packing, but they don't so we do what we do.

Oh, we can't be trusted with semi-auto shotguns with barrels shorter than 18½" either, but we can carry pump guns with 10" barrels because reasons....

Anyways this was mostly to say I noticed 14" barrels were "different" as well and to wish you all well this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.