Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Two guys in my camp bought Diamondbacks to replace their tired old scopes a couple years ago because they were on sale at nearly half price. I think they've killed 12 deer between them since and I've heard no complaints.
Lots of folks killed lots of stuff with the 3-9x40 Tasco world class back in the day. And they worked fine for those of us who jump in the truck, hitch up the horse trailer, and are hunting an hour later. If the scope dies, we go home and swap it out, then come back tomorrow.

But I would not trust the Tasco or the Diamondback for a hunt I had traveled for and or spent money on.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just got back from Mountain goat hunting. My Vortex Razor held up great, dialed perfect, killed 2 goats with 2 shots. I've got them on most all my hunting rifles now

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Just got back from Mountain goat hunting. My Vortex Razor held up great, dialed perfect, killed 2 goats with 2 shots. I've got them on most all my hunting rifles now

Congrats Dennis. Did you get them on the island?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of folks killed lots of stuff with the 3-9x40 Tasco world class back in the day.

The Tasco World Class scopes from the 1970's and 80's made in the Philippines was a darn good scope. Not the other Tasco's, just the World Class line. I'd rate them equals to Leupold VariX II from the same era. They started making them in China at some point and they became a junk scope that continued to sell well based on past reputation.

I'm not impressed with the budget Vortex scopes. Most of them may work but a 20% failure rate isn't something I'm going to risk my money on. For the same or less money the Burris FF-II is a far better option.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
Lots of folks killed lots of stuff with the 3-9x40 Tasco world class back in the day.

The Tasco World Class scopes from the 1970's and 80's made in the Philippines was a darn good scope. Not the other Tasco's, just the World Class line. I'd rate them equals to Leupold VariX II from the same era. They started making them in China at some point and they became a junk scope that continued to sell well based on past reputation.

I'm not impressed with the budget Vortex scopes. Most of them may work but a 20% failure rate isn't something I'm going to risk my money on. For the same or less money the Burris FF-II is a far better option.
The Tasco world class scopes of the 70's and '80's were made in Japan. I still have two of them and they still work fine. I also have two regular made in Japan Tasco's {not world class} that still work fine after all these years. Optically they aren't even close to a modern Diamondback or Bushnell Banner but they are mechanically sound.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one and it did not last the first range session. I did talk to Vortex and it was replaced. They even sent me a prepaid mailer. The replacement cost me zero dollars. The new one has been flawless so far. I was disappointed in the performance of the scope but I have another Vortex and it has been flawless. It wasn't just the price point, it was what I wanted on the rifle and Vortex had what I was looking for. In the end, it was the company standing behind the product. I have one Burris that continues to be a stand up scope. A set and forget 3-9 FF.

I have 3 Nikon's that continue to soldier on. They are/were my favorite scopes. Until Nikon starts making scopes again (we know that isn't going to happen) It's Vortex and Burris for me. I have seen Big Sticks video's on scopes. I'm sure the guy is hard on everything but when he shakes the Leupold scopes and they rattle, It makes it hard to spend money on the Leupold's. I do have one fixed 10 Leupold that has been on a rifle for probably 40 years and it works great to this day. But, the rifle doesn't get out much so that is not a fair comparison.

I guess we could beat this whole scope verses scope thing for years. It does make for some interesting discussions. It appears the Campfire never disappoints.

Let the name calling begin. smile

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a bunch of Vortex scopes, mostly Vipers. I am slowly getting away from them and moving up. The glass on the Vipers seems much darker than on a few Leupolds so far. Vortex has great customer service but I like the CDS and firedot options.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Congrats Dennis. Did you get them on the island?

Yes, south end. 2 goats, 2 deer

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
K
Gotta love that lifetime warranty… it sure seems to get used a lot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kkp005
Gotta love that lifetime warranty… it sure seems to get used a lot

Thanks for the drive by opinion.

Whose sockpuppet are ya' anyways?

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like Vortex just fine. The issues I have with Vortex are the same as I have with many other manufacturers. I do not like a busy reticle. I like a simple duplex crosshair. I am not a precision shooter or a long range hunting advocate. Give me a simple reticle, a large objective and decent magnification and I am good. Most higher magnification scopes these days have reticles that require to much thought before you pull the trigger. I sight my rifle in for a given point black range for a given cartridge. If deer walks out within that range i put crosshairs behind shoulder and pull the trigger.

Someone mentioned Tasco. The first scope I ever purchased for deer hunting was a Tasco and it cost me $29 at WalMart. I put it on a Savage rifle that cost me $179. It was what I could afford at the time and I killed two nice deer with that little combo before I upgraded.

Clifford

A man without a stick will get bitten even by sheep.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had to send back some Vortex scope including one they gave to a sponsored woman shooter/hunter. They are nothing special below Viper models but their newer Vipers are good & the Razors are very good from what I’ve personally seen shot & looked through.

The older model Viper 6.5-20 I have on a 22-250 is fuzzy at higher magnification but holds zero & continues to function perfectly. My cousin bought a Viper on sale for 1/2 price this week for a longer range AR build & he’s thrilled at what he got for $400.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Crossfire 1-4 with illuminated dot on AR I let the kids shoot. Clarity is just ok - not great. Seems to hold zero fine. Fair enough for $150. Nothing against Vortex persay, but I wouldn’t buy another lower end one.

That said I took my first few bucks with a cheap Simmons 3-9. If you confirm zero before season, inexpensive scopes can fill the freezer just fine.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What Fotis said I have two Razors ……… fine scopes!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I purchased a used rifle with a new Vortex on it ,i sold the scope and kept the rifle . my thought is will this Vortex company stay in business ? or end up broke like many other small scope companies have ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
I purchased a used rifle with a new Vortex on it ,i sold the scope and kept the rifle . my thought is will this Vortex company stay in business ? or end up broke like many other small scope companies have ?

I would venture a guess that Vortex is currently the largest (sales & volume) Sporting Optics dealer in the US. I don't think they are going anywhere for a long time.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my thought is will this Vortex company stay in business ? or end up broke like many other small scope companies have ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Other "small" companies?
Me thinks Vortex could buy Nightforce with its pocket change.

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by skeen
my thought is will this Vortex company stay in business ? or end up broke like many other small scope companies have ?

🤦‍♂️

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by skeen

Only fitting to have a Cypress Hill poster on the wall. LMFAO.

He went over yonder way
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.