Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
If it had been real big Slum would have posted about it and you wouldn't have. wink
He was busy with the Pelosi news.

Gotta stay on top of these things, ya' know.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My kids always referred to earthquakes as house surfing. Had them here and when we were in Alaska. Never been close to one over 5.7.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Slum beat me to the Pelosi news, but not to be outdone we just had a shaker not far from here. Centered near Cassel CA. Maybe 65 miles or so straight line distance.

First one I've felt since moving here. I sorta missed them after all the years in SoCal, over on the Coast, and in AK.

One of the dogs even got concerned and left the living room for the bedroom.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=nc73934641&extent=-39.09596,-191.60156&extent=83.02622,170.85938

You be the Man!, beating out Slum!

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Heym, someone reported feeling it in K-Falls and on Hogback Mtn.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I worked on some equipment when they were drilling geothermal wells between Glass Mtn and Medicine Lake. One of the geologists told me the earth's crust is very thin and unstable there and there was a lot of pressure below 1,500 feet. He said see those trailers, that is 200 tons of barite and bentonite just in case we have to put the cork back in the bottle. Eventually, the Injuns court appeal shut them down because using radioactive tracers they discovered a crack, tunnel or leak to the Pit River 50 miles away. Spooky.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you folks feel it over there?

I bet that tunnel is one of the ones the ALIENS use going back and forth to Mt Shasta.

Underground warren of ALIENS in that mountain, been there forever. Catch 'em at the right time and you can see the ships fly out the top of the mountain.

Oh, you made me wish for some old E Euro woman to make me some cabbage rolls with that post of yours, dammit

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Raeford
What would I do without you and Slum???
Dude,

have you ever felt an earthquake?

It's amazeballs!

Aug 23,2011
Virginia
Sitting right here[100+ year old building, 2nd floor-1st floor has 14' ceiling so fairly high for a 2 story].
Was most likely posting on TNDEER as it was 5 months prior to joining here.

Not so sure "amazeballs" is how I would describe it but spooky as crap once I figgered out why my monitor/desk/chair and then BUILDING were rocking!
Was in central PA at my job that afternoon and remember it well. First and only time I've ever had the building shake with me in it. Was quite the experience.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've felt quakes that were 4-5's, but they weren't close.

It makes you think- "What was that?... Did you hear and feel that?" grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Craigster
Quakes ain't fun, ask me how I know.
Yeah, you got hit hard.

We were just far enough away when I lived over your way in the 90's to avoid major damage.

Don't want to be too close, this one 65 miles away is about right.

The one we had in December was pretty nasty. Screwed up Fernbridge pretty good, they're still working on repairs.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2023/aug/25/fernbridge-repairs-continue-caltrans-host-another/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Craigster, USGS once claimed that Petrolia is the most active place in the nation, 1,000 plus quakes in the last year. Few people, but the ones that live there probably can't go to sleep without the bed rocking a little.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, you got hit hard.

We were just far enough away when I lived over your way in the 90's to avoid major damage.

The one we had in December was pretty nasty. Screwed up Fernbridge pretty good, they're still working on repairs.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2023/aug/25/fernbridge-repairs-continue-caltrans-host-another/
I think you mentioned once you were there for the 3 big ones in 24 hours back around 93-94? That was not a fun day over there in Ferndale either.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
Craigster, USGS once claimed that Petrolia is the most active place in the nation, 1,000 plus quakes in the last year. Few people, but the ones that live there probably can't go to sleep without the bed rocking a little.

Yep, Mendocino Triple Junction not too far offshore. Pretty shaky place.

It may be a bit of a blessing according to some, as it might be relieving some "pressure" and holding off an 8 magnitude as has occurred in the past.

In it is contentment

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, you got hit hard.

I think you mentioned once you were there for the 3 big ones in 24 hours back around 93-94? That was not a fun day over there in Ferndale either.

Originally Posted by flintlocke

Yep, Mendocino Triple Junction not too far offshore. Pretty shaky place.

It may be a bit of a blessing according to some, as it might be relieving some "pressure" and holding off an 8 magnitude as has occurred in the past.

I was, and very close to the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake in 89

If/when the Cascadia goes all of the Kali haters wishes will come true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 3.2 earthquake 4 miles south of Midland, Tx yesterday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Them fricken frackers leveled half of Oklahoma a few years back.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was in the 1983 Challis ID 6.9 and the 1994 Northridge 6.7 quakes and tons of small ones. I will take those any day over a Tornado.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eric1186
I was in the 1983 Challis ID 6.9 and the 1994 Northridge 6.7 quakes and tons of small ones. I will take those any day over a Tornado.

Eric, I am just the opposite. When I lived in Los Angeles, I experienced the '71 Sylmar 'quake, the Whittier quake, and the '94 Northridge quake, plus dozens of lesser "shakers." There was never any warning whatsoever for any of them. Just "BOOM!!" and you were shaking!

I grew up in Tornado Alley, and if one were observant and listened to weather reports, watched the gathering clouds, one could prepare for "dodging" a tornado (or hurricane or flood, or forest fire, etc.)

No warning for an earthquake.

My opinion. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was at the Oakland/SF World Series the day before of the Loma Prieta quake. I believe 880 (IIRC) would have killed me the next day. That said, I was standing next to the crude and vacuum columns in our Martinez refinery when it hit. Stuff swayed and slid just as the engineers designed it to with 1960's design "tools". Badazz...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was near Victorville for a 5.7.
Driving on I-10 in a semi.
They were talking about it on the radio, I thought it had happened days before.

Nope, just a few minutes ago, and I missed it in the truck.
Either the suspension absorbed it or, more likely, it just blended into all the other
bumps, jolt and tremors in that old cabover.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I was at the Oakland/SF World Series the day before of the Loma Prieta quake. I believe 880 (IIRC) would have killed me the next day. That said, I was standing next to the crude and vacuum columns in our Martinez refinery when it hit. Stuff swayed and slid just as the engineers designed it to with 1960's design "tools". Badazz...
You could see the ground roll that day sloshing water out of swimming pools. 60 miles away from the epicenter it was rolling billiard balls around the bar pool table during that SF Giants World Series opener.

I think it was the 580 that pancaked, Ed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.