Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am in the process of building my overland camper. When I retire within the next year, I going to do a trip entering Canada through Maine, camp hike, fish on my way to Alaska. I have a boatload of rifles that I could bring, but I think I’ve narrowed it down to two. Either a 12 gauge shotgun, which I have a few to choose from in the 18.5 inch barrel length. Or purchasing a marlin guide gun in 45/70? I have been to Alaska twice both times rented out a pick up truck with a slide in camper. Spent 30 days each time. I shipped up a marlin guide gun both times. Unfortunately I no longer own those firearms. So what would you guys choose 12 gauge with the proper slugs or a marlin guide gun. i’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Why not both?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check Canadian regs. I think the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 20"
I believe I stand corrected. 18.5"

Last edited by dian; 09/09/23.
B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith
Why not both?
Less hassle going through Canada I would think. Not having to deal with two guns, long as one with served a purpose.

B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dian
Check Canadian regs. I think the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 20"
I have to double check, I thought I read, but I could be wrong 18 inches. I’ll check that when I get home from work tonight.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Glock 20-10mm. 15 in the gut. As fast as you can pull the trigger. Staying on target the whole time. Done.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by THEbearhunter
Glock 20-10mm. 15 in the gut. As fast as you can pull the trigger. Staying on target the whole time. Done.

All you need to do is convince the Mounties it is a good choice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If you aren't actively hunting furry beasts, the shotgun - plus you can use it on grouse or waterfowl.

I'd be more worried about 2-legged protection, tho. In which case, also the shotgun. You are already prepped.

Last edited by las; 09/09/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

All you need to do is convince the Mounties it is a good choice.

I have a Glock 40 that I was thinking about having shipped to AK. But traveling through Canada is a big no-no :-)

B
BamBam Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by las
If you aren't actively hunting furry beasts, the shotgun - plus you can use it on grouse or waterfowl.

I'd be more worried about 2-legged protection, tho. In which case, also the shotgun. You are already prepped.

That’s what I was sort of thinking, And I agree about worrying about two legged protection. More versatility. I would have to buy a guide gun, both times I went to AK I bought one and both times shortly after getting back I sold the damn things.

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Who wants to lug around a shotgun unless yes hunting birds too. Hard to beat shotgun with good slugs. But 10mm for me. Used it, they work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BamBam;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

There's a bit of a thread at the top of the Canada section which although dated, has some decent information and contacts for all sorts of things pertaining to hunters visiting here.

I'm cognizant you're not hunting per se, but nonetheless bringing a firearm along will have it's own set of hurdles.

The rules regarding barrel length are naturally illogical up here, so if you choose to alter a factory barrel, you are limited to no less than 18.5" on any action type. If it's a semi-auto, then that's the minimum length on either a shotgun or rifle.

However if it's a factory barrel on any action other than a semi-auto, then it becomes an overall length question, where the entire firearm must be 26.5" or a metric number close to that.

So for instance the little fellow in the middle is perfectly legal up here with no "restricted" or "prohibited" designations.

[Linked Image]

That said, if I was taking a trip across the country camping, like as not I'd take either the top or bottom one as they look a bit more pedestrian than the pistol gripped stock shorty.

Some provinces, I want to say New Brunswick and possibly Quebec, seem to have rules pertaining to carrying a firearm off road when it's not a hunting season. Hopefully someone who knows that legal tidbit can chime in and correct me on that?

As far as I'm aware in the 4 western provinces as well as the 3 territories one can carry something to protect oneself from animals.

That said, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the rules in the different jurisdictions for your own peace of mind as well as perhaps the peace of mind of the Canada Customs folks when you enter north of Maine.

You mentioned fishing and I want to say that's feasible but again it's best to check with the various provincial Ministry of Environments so you know your options for licenses. Here in BC for instance there's single day, 3 day and annual.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone coming up here.

All the best as you plan your retirement and the grand cross country trip.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Who wants to lug around a shotgun unless yes hunting birds too. Hard to beat shotgun with good slugs. But 10mm for me. Used it, they work.

You just aren't getting the Canada part are you? Handguns are no-no, especially for we US folks bringing them across the border into Canada.

I've never had a bit of trouble with a legal long gun, however, rifle or shotgun.

Bear spray might be a handier option while fishing. Not necessarily more effective. Just make sure the can says
"bear spray", and not "pepper spray". Same stuff, basically but the labeling matters. "Bear spray" is fine. "Pepper spray" is considered an assault weapon or something, and will be confiscated.

Last time thru, several years back, my wife had an " Oh chit!" moment at the Ak/Canada border when the Canadian agent asked if we had pepper spray. She carries bear spray in her fanny pack, and they returned it...... then had to do more paperwork to undo the paperwork for "pepper spray" that they had started while she went out to the camper to give it to them.

They also made me take my ammo out of the rifle case, and carry it separately.

Weird!!!!

Last edited by las; 09/09/23.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
that is frikn weird ! what good is an unloaded gun ?

and to keep ammo separate is effn kooky as all hell

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My choice and what I use for protection when I am bow hunting Elk or Moose in Grizz country is my Mossberg Maverick 88 with an 18 1/2" barrel. 2 High Shok Slugs followed by 3 - 3" Federal Express 00 Buckshot. I use the long barrel for Geese and Ducks.

Watch this video of this Albertan and what happened to him in 2017, by a small Sow, truly horrifying!

If Buckshot will do this to a car, I know what it will do to a bear's face!

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/10/23.

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m not in the shotgun camp unless you plan to shoot birds while you’re there. A rifle is a superior tool for shooting large mammals.

I also wouldn’t sweat finding and buying an expensive Guide gun that you probably have no other use for since you sold the last two. A reliable rifle with irons or a low power scope in 30/06, 30/30, really any medium bore hunting rifle you may already own will probably be fine. When I lived in AK I never felt the need for a separate “defense” gun besides my regular hunting rifle when in hunting camp.

The only good use I can think of for my 760 Carbine in 30/06 is as a camp gun, it would probably be great for that.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My usual walk-about gun is my Dad"s 1927 '94 in 30-30 (marked 30 WCF). Sometimes a Win 1200 in 12. Either will suffice.

Don't have to buy either, or another at this point......

Fact is, the odds of ever needing a 4-legged defensive gun are pretty negligible. Not zero, of course, but way, way down there.

I last killed something with the '94 in 1966- a ND doe. In 55 years banging around the Alaska bush, I've never had to kill a bear, despite quite a few close encounters of the turd kind. Only one wolf-pack incident, which ended judiciously - .260 at 15 yards, pelt on the wall.

It was the gun or a tree and the Lab on his own.

Glad I had the gun!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see this issue perhaps a bit differently than some. A good part of your concern should be entry into Canada and how can we enter with the least number of regulatory issues. I usually enter Canada a couple times each year and have experienced all levels of experience with Canadian Customs folks. I've concluded that the regulations can change with the shift change.

The more that your weapon looks like a standard sporting firearm the better it may be. Avoid black guns or tactical appearing guns hat draw attention from the agents with lesser knowledge or those that are more liberal. Large capacity magazines are a no-go.

During a recent border crossing, my buddy checked through a 12ga double and the young lady agent inquired "why the second barrel"

I'm usually not bothered as I have a PAL [Canadian Possession and Acquisition permit] as well as export permits from US Customs..

Either of your weapons will suffice nicely but I lean toward the 12ga with Brenneke Slugs as I've had great results with Brenneke. If you're travels should take you through Chicago, you would do well to have a few buckshot rounds also.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shotgun, inexpensive and effective, no need for a rifle unless your planning to hunt big mammals.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
When I travel through Canada to Haines, I typically take my Marlin 336, in 35 Remington. Never had the need to use it, but figure it would be adequate if necessary.

It’s also good for walk about here in Alaska.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.