Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i will spell it out again = MN. DNR are watching and taking notes this year and next year on how many deer are shot with a x-bow in Mn. during the archery season and if its too high DNR plans on changing how long x- bow season might be like a shorter separate season during the regular archery season and when that happens the old and handi-cap x-bow archery hunters will be included in with the x-bow season. i would hate to see that to happen but it might , i will turn 70 years old this year soon. i have bowhunted since i was 10 years old i feel as many others do we have a right even with poor health to still hunt the entire archery season even with x-bow . our old friends , family , and us all archers helped get and support to get a Minnesota Archery Season . so now do you understand ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
i will spell it out again = MN. DNR are watching and taking notes this year and next year on how many deer are shot with a x-bow in Mn. during the archery season and if its too high DNR plans on changing how long x- bow season might be like a shorter separate season during the regular archery season and when that happens the old and handi-cap x-bow archery hunters will be included in with the x-bow season. i would hate to see that to happen but it might , i will turn 70 years old this year soon. i have bowhunted since i was 10 years old i feel as many others do we have a right even with poor health to still hunt the entire archery season even with x-bow . our old friends , family , and us all archers helped get and support to get a Minnesota Archery Season . so now do you understand ?

Oh, yeah, you're selfish and are afraid everyone getting to do what you're doing might ruin it.

Won't happen, the DNR wants more deer killed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
And if you're shooting expandable broadheads, they will have penetration issues at longer distances. You won't get pass throughs, so get a moderately fast xbow or keep the shots shorter.

I'd never shoot at 80 or 100 yds myself at an animal, but I do at target for fun and tuning. Arrows and broadheads are a big part of the accuracy, so tune and check spine/nock tune if needed.

I’ll refrain from the who-struck-john about whether or not xbows should be allowed, but I can agree with what you said about expandables. I have one I dug out of a buck I killed with a ML. It had hit high on the scapula and was actually poking through the hide on the opposite side. The buck was fat and healthy, but that thing must’ve hurt like blazes every time he moved. It never opened.

My Excalibur is for sale in hopes I’ll abstain this year and chase more small game and birds, but if seems like the same dreary economy that’s futzing up gun sales is affecting other stuff too. If it doesn’t sell, I guess I’ll give it a whack on cooler days.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figgered out what you were saying Pete, and I doubt that they will cut back on the ♿️ opportunities. Wouldn’t make sense.

I’m older than you, and got my xbow because I simply couldn’t practice enough with a hunting weight bow to be ethical.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh, my!!

You MN X-Bow boys tone it down so Pete isn't inconvenienced.

lol

IC B2

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Oh, my!!

lol

Screw that. The DNR approved my permit a few months before the law changed. I'm still happy the law changed.

I don't have time for the ME ME ME crowd. It's like the people with machine guns that would be mad if the NFA act was repealed

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In SD you have to get a release from a Dr saying your physically unable to use a traditional or compound bow to get to you a crossbow use permit. I passed on a sweet deal on a slightly used Ravin R-10 a month a go because I don't have that release yet. That ravin made a muzzleloader look like a joke to 100yds. It's as high tech as anyone's 3-5000 dollar rifle. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
In SD you have to get a release from a Dr saying your physically unable to use a traditional or compound bow to get to you a crossbow use permit. I passed on a sweet deal on a slightly used Ravin R-10 a month a go because I don't have that release yet. That ravin made a muzzleloader look like a joke to 100yds. It's as high tech as anyone's 3-5000 dollar rifle. Mb

I don't know about the new super fast ones, but my experience with a dozen or so deer with a regular bow is that you get past a certain distance and jumping the string becomes a thing. It doesn't matter how accurate the arrow flies if you're literally guessing at where the deer will be when it gets there.

That said, 40 yards is a "long" shot where I hunt no matter whether I've got rifle, pistol, muzzle loader or bow.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

That's how it used to be in MN and WI...you needed a permit. Not now and apparently Pete wants the law changed back for him!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie

I don't know about the new super fast ones, but my experience with a dozen or so deer with a regular bow is that you get past a certain distance and jumping the string becomes a thing. It doesn't matter how accurate the arrow flies if you're literally guessing at where the deer will be when it gets there.

That said, 40 yards is a "long" shot where I hunt no matter whether I've got rifle, pistol, muzzle loader or bow.

There is no way a deer won't jump the string, even with X-bow at ranges past 50 yards. They make too much noise and the arrow has to fly too far. Even at 450fps it has like 3/4 of a second to move out of the "strike zone" of the bolt from 100 yds.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Oh, my!!

lol

Screw that. The DNR approved my permit a few months before the law changed. I'm still happy the law changed.

I don't have time for the ME ME ME crowd. It's like the people with machine guns that would be mad if the NFA act was repealed

A few months ago Petey Pup was bashing Montana for NOT having any xbow season - I'm being "more than positive" that he'll be back again...

We grumbled about it Virginia when they went all archery tackle for the entire season, but the truth is for our state - it's putting more hunters in the woods each year, and the aged hunters are staying in the field more years than they would have pulling vertical bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use a cross bow. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

Daughter loves it, although she doesn't want to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tzone

There is no way a deer won't jump the string, even with X-bow at ranges past 50 yards. They make too much noise and the arrow has to fly too far. Even at 450fps it has like 3/4 of a second to move out of the "strike zone" of the bolt from 100 yds.

no the new x-bow law is fine but the DNR is going to try and keep an eye on the numbers of deer shot with a x-bow and there are plenty compound bowhunters that feel butthurt now in Minnesota . i see this might be a problem but we will have to wait and see ? x-bows for handi-cap hunter law was in court again this year in Montana and was out voted again because of those compound bowhunters feeling they might be butthurt.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Based on my own experience, 7 shots resulting in 6 hits, plus countless videos I’ve watched, I think that an unalarmed deer will often not jump the string. One that’s looking your way wondering what you are at the shot probably will. The last one I shot at with my xbow stood there while it zipped over his back, then trotted off, as much I think in response to the sound of the bolt hitting the ground as the whang of the bow. He was 50 lasered yards away. I just whiffed it. The other deer were taken at between 20 and 35 yards. Only one was looking at me, and she had zero time to duck. The rest only moved when the bolt hit.

Nothing is written in stone of course. I’ve seen more than one stay put after being missed by a rifle, as long as there was no other sound or movement to alert them to my presence.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
We use a cross bow. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

Daughter loves it, although she doesn't want to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Whatever gets them outside!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Based on my own experience, 7 shots resulting in 6 hits, plus countless videos I’ve watched, I think that an unalarmed deer will often not jump the string. One that’s looking your way wondering what you are at the shot probably will. The last one I shot at with my xbow stood there while it zipped over his back, then trotted off, as much I think in response to the sound of the bolt hitting the ground as the whang of the bow. He was 50 lasered yards away. I just whiffed it. The other deer were taken at between 20 and 35 yards. Only one was looking at me, and she had zero time to duck. The rest only moved when the bolt hit.

Nothing is written in stone of course. I’ve seen more than one stay put after being missed by a rifle, as long as there was no other sound or movement to alert them to my presence.

Have you noticed any difference in how far they run with a crossbow compared to a compound?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have you noticed any difference in how far they run with a crossbow compared to a compound?

A lot depends on shot location of course, and whether you are using a fixed or expandable broadhead....I find my Vert bows penetrate better with better blood trails, still trying to figure out why tbh....ymmv

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had zero problems with mechanical broadheads. Haven't kept one in a deer yet with compound or crossbow. Three of the four deer I've killed with my crossbow and NAP shockwaves have gone down within sight in less than 30 yards. The fourth made it 75 bleeding like a stuck pig the whole way. Last years buck fell on the third bound. All of the mechanicals I've used in both my compound and my crossbow were old tech {NAP shockwaves and Rocket Steelheads}, 3 blade swing opens held closed with rubber O rings and 1 1/4" cutting diameter. Some guys just gotta spend for the supposedly latest and greatest and use heads that open wide and rely on gadgetry to stay closed and/or deploy and I think that's where they run into problems with mechanicals. My hunting partner insists on using some kind of Rage broadheads that open like 3" wide. Sure they chop a wide swath but he gets much less penetration than I do and missed an easy 25 yard shot at a buck last season because the blades opened on launch and hit his foot stirrup on the way out of the bow. No thanks, I'm stickin with what I've been using until they give me some reason to look elsewhere. You ain't gotta chop holes through deer you can stick your foot in to kill them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Never shot one with any sort of bow except the xbow. Can’t imagine there’d be much difference. Through and through is want it is, and entrance and exit holes are pretty nasty. I know the first time I shot one I was really surprised at the loud pop of the impact. Those Muzzys are inexpensive, but cut on contact, and I doubt any deer bone will bend that point. The last one I shot ran a good ways, but that’s on me for hitting him too high. None of the others went over 50 yards or so.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've shot a lot more deer with a compound & fixed blade heads than I have with a crossbow but they don't seem to go any farther one way or the other as long as you can put it in the right spot. I did hit one through both shoulders (scapula) with a Xbow I doubt my compound would have penetrated that far but I was shooting a heavy broadhead.
I agree that most of the time a deer will be able to duck an arrow out past 40 yards or so, I won't take a shot past 40 yards but that's just me.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,367
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.