T
Goalie, sent you a PM.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
I've shot a lot more deer with a compound & fixed blade heads than I have with a crossbow but they don't seem to go any farther one way or the other as long as you can put it in the right spot. I did hit one through both shoulders (scapula) with a Xbow I doubt my compound would have penetrated that far but I was shooting a heavy broadhead.
I agree that most of the time a deer will be able to duck an arrow out past 40 yards or so, I won't take a shot past 40 yards but that's just me.

I agree Jim. They maybe can't duck a bolt from a xbow, but they'll be able to move far enough to make it a bad shot.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
the first deer I killed with my excal I shot the 20 yard mark in the scope at 40 yards hit the dirt way short deer did't spook much 10 min. later I set the scope fps down and killed him at 70 yards

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i have bohunted since i was 10 legal or not at that age and it was with a recurve ,then in the early 70`s i used a compound from the start of those years to now at 70 years of age with poor physical strength and a bad shoulder that the surgeon wanted to replace 4 years ago that i don`t want to , i already have had surgery in both shoulders so my body is a mess . > here is what i see is a negative thing that might happen to us handi cap and old bowhunters = Minnesota the state i live in the DNR is following who kills a deer with a x- bow during the archery season this year and probably even more in the future so myself and other handi cap old bowhunters will end up with the same law/rules for all x-bow archery hunters if it gets changed . i think x-bows are fine in the archery for all but there are plenty archery hunter selfish whiners out there that will try and change this law about x-bows in Minnesota, i hope it don`t happen but if it does i sure hope they leave the handi-cap old bowhunters alone in the archery season. Montana is one state that has a lot of whining selfish bowhunters with plenty butt hurt against handi-cap x-bow hunters during the archery season even on Federal land in Montana x-bows are not legal . so i hope Minnesota does not do this bowhunter butt hurt chit to x-bow archery hunters, at least not for the handi cap and old.

Handicapped hunters are the only ones that should be allowed to use crossbows during archery season. A crossbow has a trigger, a stock, a scope, and a saftey. Does that sound like a bow lol. If your too lazy to learn to shoot a compound or a real bow stay home till gun season. Older handicapped hunters that would shoot a real bow if not for their infirmities, should be allowed to use the crossbows. That’s how it always was. In my home state during bow season it was uncommon to see other hunters on weekends let alone week days. Now the woods are full of these lazy fat mouth breathers staggering around with a crossbow, their only handicap being obesity and lack of hunting ability lol.

I knew an old man that helped get bowseasons started in Louisiana in the beginning. He killed more deer than anyone I’ve ever known. He had kidney problems bad, aswell as belong near 80yo, he had used nothing but recurves until he could no longer shoot the weight he wanted, he then went to a compound. If anyone deserved to hunt with a crossbow it was this man. He told me he would quit before he used a crossbow. Compare that to these 30 yo flat brimmed hatted morons lol

Last edited by Bay1975; 10/20/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I want to hunt deer I'll take a vertical bow.
Within that, if I REALLY want to hunt deer, a recurve.

But if I want meat in the freezer, during archery season.............best bet would be an X bow.
Unfortunately my kid, somewhat disabled, doesn't want to use one.

Was looking at a Mission Sub 1.

My arthritis was bad yesterday, better today. Still didn't go hunting.
I'm good for 6-12 shots w my recurve in practice, but my hands will ache for a day or two.
New med maybe help, dunno yet.

Yup a lot of lazy folks like X bows.

Newsflash, shot 3D for a long while, have seen plenty of shiddy arrow flingers toting recurves and compounds.
Purists my azz.

At least with an X bow they might hit better.

IMHO using a crossbow makes one an "Xbow hunter" or "Ex bowhunter".
Which is fine.

Some folks do try to spin it as bowhunting though.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
I've shot a lot more deer with a compound & fixed blade heads than I have with a crossbow but they don't seem to go any farther one way or the other as long as you can put it in the right spot. I did hit one through both shoulders (scapula) with a Xbow I doubt my compound would have penetrated that far but I was shooting a heavy broadhead.
I agree that most of the time a deer will be able to duck an arrow out past 40 yards or so, I won't take a shot past 40 yards but that's just me.

Agreed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Being honest............

the older I get the more I like cooking venison.

The less I like busting my azz, freezing, hurting............to supply it.

If I had no love of archery, I'd buy an X bow and be grilling straps today.

They work.

But I find them heavy and awkward. Hell I found my Hoyt compound last yr to be a bit of a PITA.
Toting my recurve is a joy.

Don't have to worry about hurting my back dragging a deer out very much LOL

FWIW my old BW had 5 kills in a row, right off the bat.
This new recurve is 0 for 1.

Burns my azz. Maybe redeem myself tomorrow.

if another ducks it I'll be getting a custom cam lever compound as my handicap recurve LOL

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad's old friend, was a pretty hardcore bowhunter.
Pops didn't bowhunt, but shot in the factory league (recurve days).
Both got me into archery.

Pop's bud had a stroke and had to go X bow, hated it.
But it got him afield, which added fun.

Handicapped or not, have fun.

Life is short.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/20/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bay1975
Originally Posted by pete53
i have bohunted since i was 10 legal or not at that age and it was with a recurve ,then in the early 70`s i used a compound from the start of those years to now at 70 years of age with poor physical strength and a bad shoulder that the surgeon wanted to replace 4 years ago that i don`t want to , i already have had surgery in both shoulders so my body is a mess . > here is what i see is a negative thing that might happen to us handi cap and old bowhunters = Minnesota the state i live in the DNR is following who kills a deer with a x- bow during the archery season this year and probably even more in the future so myself and other handi cap old bowhunters will end up with the same law/rules for all x-bow archery hunters if it gets changed . i think x-bows are fine in the archery for all but there are plenty archery hunter selfish whiners out there that will try and change this law about x-bows in Minnesota, i hope it don`t happen but if it does i sure hope they leave the handi-cap old bowhunters alone in the archery season. Montana is one state that has a lot of whining selfish bowhunters with plenty butt hurt against handi-cap x-bow hunters during the archery season even on Federal land in Montana x-bows are not legal . so i hope Minnesota does not do this bowhunter butt hurt chit to x-bow archery hunters, at least not for the handi cap and old.

Handicapped hunters are the only ones that should be allowed to use crossbows during archery season. A crossbow has a trigger, a stock, a scope, and a saftey. Does that sound like a bow lol. If your too lazy to learn to shoot a compound or a real bow stay home till gun season. Older handicapped hunters that would shoot a real bow if not for their infirmities, should be allowed to use the crossbows. That’s how it always was. In my home state during bow season it was uncommon to see other hunters on weekends let alone week days. Now the woods are full of these lazy fat mouth breathers staggering around with a crossbow, their only handicap being obesity and lack of hunting ability lol.

I knew an old man that helped get bowseasons started in Louisiana in the beginning. He killed more deer than anyone I’ve ever known. He had kidney problems bad, aswell as belong near 80yo, he had used nothing but recurves until he could no longer shoot the weight he wanted, he then went to a compound. If anyone deserved to hunt with a crossbow it was this man. He told me he would quit before he used a crossbow. Compare that to these 30 yo flat brimmed hatted morons lol

Bullschitt. Who elected you Ethics Monitor? Game has to be managed, and in this area whitetails are like rats, even with constant pressure Sept-Jan from hunters toting guns, all sorts of bows, airguns, and MLs new and old. If rifles are ethical, so is anything less effective.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For me, the feeling I get when it all comes together with a bow is not matched by the crossbow.

I'd not deny that feeling to anyone, even if they get there with a crossbow.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A crossbow has a trigger, a stock, a scope, and a saftey. Does that sound like a bow lol. If your too lazy to learn to shoot a compound or a real bow stay home till gun season. Older handicapped hunters that would shoot a real bow if not for their infirmities, should be allowed to use the crossbows. That’s how it always was. In my home state during bow season it was uncommon to see other hunters on weekends let alone week days.

While I generally support anyone to believe whatever they want, I also believe a lot of people posting online are not of the very smart variety.

I don't think anyone that uses the username Bay1975 should be allowed to hunt with any bow he didn't make himself from a poplar branch and including gut string and flint arrows that he dug up and knapped himself and bird feather fletching and sinew wrap to hold them in place.

Otherwise, it would be just unethical to hunt with any commercially built and bought bow or arrow. The woods would be full of those inferior people come archery season. May God have mercy on us all and protect us from those evils. We would run out of deer in only a few years if that were to occur.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll cheerfully knock them down with any legal device I can get them in front of. There are methods I don’t care to try, but it’s not my place to deny others their opportunity to use them. The DNR is in charge of that. Most who decry this and that way of hunting are actually trying to preserve the experience they desire, not the game, who are pretty good at doing that themselves if you examine the evidence of the numbers.

The IWLA chapter I belong to stocks its lake with hatchery rainbows twice a year. They get hammered with Power Bait, worms, lures, and flies. I prefer using a spinning rod with jigs and spinners, while my wife likes to watch a bobber. It’s all good, and the only restrictions are a limit to one rod and the daily limit of four per angler. Everybody has their fun, and the fish don’t care how they end up in the pan.

What fresh Hell is this?
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For the anti crossbow losers, GFY

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, no fair. That guy in the foreground is using one of those unethical new-fangled cranks to cock his crossbow….

Cheater.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
To each his own. If you want to use a compound, recurve, or long bow, more power to ya. I'll use anything they let me use. I started bow hunting with a compound in 1990. Bought my first crossbow in 2015 and killed more deer with that than all of the guns combined. There have been a lot of deer that probably would have walked if I didn't have the crossbow. Our bow season goes from Sept. through Jan. Call me a cheater, but it's legal.

I upgraded to this 10 Point Titan Decock last year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/20/23.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by johna1
A crossbow has a trigger, a stock, a scope, and a saftey. Does that sound like a bow lol. If your too lazy to learn to shoot a compound or a real bow stay home till gun season. Older handicapped hunters that would shoot a real bow if not for their infirmities, should be allowed to use the crossbows. That’s how it always was. In my home state during bow season it was uncommon to see other hunters on weekends let alone week days.

While I generally support anyone to believe whatever they want, I also believe a lot of people posting online are not of the very smart variety.

I don't think anyone that uses the username Bay1975 should be allowed to hunt with any bow he didn't make himself from a poplar branch and including gut string and flint arrows that he dug up and knapped himself and bird feather fletching and sinew wrap to hold them in place.

Otherwise, it would be just unethical to hunt with any commercially built and bought bow or arrow. The woods would be full of those inferior people come archery season. May God have mercy on us all and protect us from those evils. We would run out of deer in only a few years if that were to occur.

Originally Posted by johna1

Lol. I bet your one of them man boob having cross dresser/crossbow shooters lol. You never hear any comeback for how a crossbow with a freakin scope and trigger is a bow, just some dumbass remark that barley makes sense.

Anywhere in the country the rifle/shotgun seasons have the largest number of deer kills, it ain’t even close. So anyone with much brain knows the deer population control is done mostly by the gun hunters. So saying we need more bowhunters with crossbows is beyond stupid. Most of the cross dressers don’t have any better kill statistics than real bowhunters, it’s not how many deer they kill it’s them stinking up the woods stumbling around with their Xbows when 10 years ago they’d have been on the couch steadily increasing their cholesterol levels and leaving the woods to bowhunters until rifle season the way God intended.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not like crossbows haven't been used for centuries.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
[align:center][/align]
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not like crossbows haven't been used for centuries.
Way longer than compound bows. These archery puritan whiners best be sticking to old school recurves and longbows like we did when I sarted bow hunting or STFU. I for one am tired of listening to the whiny sunsabitches.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well I’ve never owned nor hunted with a compound. I started with a recurve and now hunt only with a longbow and wood arrows so GFY lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Well I’ve never owned nor hunted with a compound. I started with a recurve and now hunt only with a longbow and wood arrows so GFY lol
Yeah well I hunt with a sidelock, patched balls and black powder during MZ season. My choice. I don't begrudge the guys using scoped inlines and say they shouldn't be allowed to use them unless they're old and disabled.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 45 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.