Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Bay1975
Well I’ve never owned nor hunted with a compound. I started with a recurve and now hunt only with a longbow and wood arrows so GFY lol
Yeah well I hunt with a sidelock, patched balls and black powder during MZ season. My choice. I don't begrudge the guys using scoped inlines and say they shouldn't be allowed to use them unless they're old and disabled.

Blackheart posted i very good statement ! i say the same thing who cares what you use to fill your tag . as a lineman who has work all over Minnesota the worst thing i ever seen was a pile of dead deer hidden somewhat by some city hunters " ST. Cloud ,Mn." gutted , tags removed and the buck horns removed , there was 9 rifle shot dead deer in this pile wasted. >if you eat your deer meat then kill the deer how ever you want and enjoy the meat ,if you waste the deer meat you have no business hunting shame on you. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lol. I bet your one of them man boob having cross dresser/crossbow shooters lol. You never hear any comeback for how a crossbow with a freakin scope and trigger is a bow, just some dumbass remark that barley makes sense.

Anywhere in the country the rifle/shotgun seasons have the largest number of deer kills, it ain’t even close. So anyone with much brain knows the deer population control is done mostly by the gun hunters. So saying we need more bowhunters with crossbows is beyond stupid. Most of the cross dressers don’t have any better kill statistics than real bowhunters, it’s not how many deer they kill it’s them stinking up the woods stumbling around with their Xbows when 10 years ago they’d have been on the couch steadily increasing their cholesterol levels and leaving the woods to bowhunters until rifle season the way God intended.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I’ve never owned nor hunted with a compound. I started with a recurve and now hunt only with a longbow and wood arrows so GFY lol
Stone points??

Fletching attached with sinew??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet harvest numbers have increased less than 5% in states that have legalized the crossbow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Yeah well I hunt with a sidelock, patched balls and black powder during MZ season. My choice. I don't begrudge the guys using scoped inlines and say they shouldn't be allowed to use them unless they're old and disabled.
Better get a matchlock or your not a true muzzleloader hunter.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/20/23.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I bet harvest numbers have increased less than 5% in states that have legalized the crossbow.

^^ TRUE ^^

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Pa archery buck kill numbers have almost doubled since the crossbow was legalized

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Whatever it is, it ain’t enough in many places. Next door in Clarke County, VA, they’ve opened the antlerless season on private land on the first of September for a couple or three years now. choose your weapon. The standard deer license allows six deer, and for a few dollars, you get tags for another six. You have to kill two does before you can take a second buck.

VA is a patchwork of regs due to the wide variety of conditions. Gotta be a Philadelphia lawyer to understand them all. Access to the private land is hard to come by, just as in my WV county, so the hunters are concentrated on the public, or often join clubs, but the clubs are usually located on timber land, not ag.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Willycc,
Didn't run the numbers of buck only but in 2008-2009 archery kills were 120,260. Last year that was 130,650. The ratio of buck/doe varies by WMU. I would suspect that buck numbers are down due to the antler restrictions.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hookeye
Newsflash, shot 3D for a long while, have seen plenty of shiddy arrow flingers toting recurves and compounds.
Purists my azz.

At least with an X bow they might hit better.

IMHO using a crossbow makes one an "Xbow hunter" or "Ex bowhunter".
Which is fine.

Some folks do try to spin it as bowhunting though.

I donno...I was shooting both yesterday. Unless I have a real steady rest, I'm better with my compound out to 40. Seriously.

I'll be bowhunting for the next few weeks before gun season. I'm not sure the x-bow will make the trip. I've only had it for a month or so and not had much time on it. There certainly is no comparison between the two for speed.

Last edited by tzone; 10/24/23.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Best of luck

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This print hangs on the wall in my office. Thought you guys might enjoy it. Looks like the crossbow was Willie's and is being presented as evidence by the sheriff. Hard to argue with The Bard laugh

[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
>> recurve type x-bows have been use for 100`s maybe 1,000 years and that`s is what i use yet ,i also sharpen my broadheads Zwickey Eskimos manufactured in Minnesota many years before compound bows were invented ,build my own arrows with real bird feathers . ^^ i like the picture of above my post ^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Priced up a new Hoyt lefthanded long draw bow today minus the sight. It came in at $2,060. Got a couple crossbow deals emailed to me for complete setups at $499 and $600. Still shooting my old Z9 Mathews but someday I'll need to upgrade. I don't really worry about killing stuff just figuring out what I may enjoy using the most. Could be a Toelke longbow, a rebuilt old Mathews or a crossbow. I dunno. In no hurry to decide but my guess is 20% are still going to kill 80%.

And yes at my age my shoulders hurt etc. Looked at a 55 pound Hoyt with 32" draw. Probably where it ends up at. But won't rule out a crossbow yet either.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 30338
Priced up a new Hoyt lefthanded long draw bow today minus the sight. It came in at $2,060. Got a couple crossbow deals emailed to me for complete setups at $499 and $600. Still shooting my old Z9 Mathews but someday I'll need to upgrade. I don't really worry about killing stuff just figuring out what I may enjoy using the most. Could be a Toelke longbow, a rebuilt old Mathews or a crossbow. I dunno. In no hurry to decide but my guess is 20% are still going to kill 80%.

And yes at my age my shoulders hurt etc. Looked at a 55 pound Hoyt with 32" draw. Probably where it ends up at. But won't rule out a crossbow yet either.

well take good care of those shoulders ,today i seen the Minnesota Twins shoulder surgeon for the 1st time ,after looking at the x-rays of my shoulder he told me i need shoulder replacement soon, i am trying to hold out tell after summer fishing,trap shooting and next fall hunting since it is my left shoulder and i am right handed .surgeon said i need to do MRI`S very soon they are making my appointment for the MRI`S and then he will make the decision when,he does know i have a African hunt in May and said it might have to happen when you get back early June.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck. Shoulder surgery recovery sucked. It takes a legit three months to be back to doing real stuff. Of the flip side, I played another 15 years of hockey as a goalie without issues after having mine done (by the Wild's ortho guy at the time) almost 20 years ago.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by goalie
Good luck. Shoulder surgery recovery sucked. It takes a legit three months to be back to doing real stuff. Of the flip side, I played another 15 years of hockey as a goalie without issues after having mine done (by the Wild's ortho guy at the time) almost 20 years ago.

thanks for the support in the past i have had surgery on both shoulders and your right it does suck . now getting new man made parts installed in the shoulder will probably give me new different meaning to pain again . as the surgeon said to me the 1st 10-12 weeks nothing but very light therapy , yes go on the hunt in May but we might need to do surgery in early June so i will have to be careful this summer and my 11yr.old grandson will be learning some young man working skills .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Went to my sis in laws place today to see how she's doing. Brother died on the 2nd. She was frustrated cuz she couldn't get into the safe.

I got it open for her and she said said I could take whatever gun I wanted....not today.

I did take his crossbow. In MI you can use them whenever you want, no disability license needed. It's a new 10 point turbo s1.

Been using an older 10point for about 11 years now. Left shoulder is shot. Tried using my brother in laws older compound but my shoulder feels like it's gonna dislocated before let off.

I'll take the upgrade

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss Joel/AK.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks but as we all know...shidt happens

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.