Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just that? Looking at a wood casket for about $1,900.
What do you think?
Why not, but it doesn’t end there. What kind of vault is it to be housed in, do you want NASA space caulk to seal it ( so intrusive critters can’t disturb your loved ones). No joke, had the experience and had to laugh. The car sales experience actually makes the whole experience easier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I wanna be buried in a Mustang.
You got a recipe for a hay/grain/ashes mix that it will eat?

The American way of death is absurd. The cost of caskets and funerals is out of reason. They used to bury a person within a day of death unless the coroner needed more time with it. Embalming came about as a way to preserve the body until out of town relatives can get there. It's not necessary, usually not required, and does nothing but make money for the undertaker.
Expensive steel caskets and vaults do nothing but make cemeteries happy. They don't rot and leave a divot that has to be filled in a few years later.
They take someone who is grieving and often just broken inside and scam them for as much as possible. Someone will find a way to dispose of folks for $500 and make a killing.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Do you have a GoFundMe account?

Please post...
Savage….But hilarious!
Urn for me.
When they’re ready they can dump me out into the wind where we hunt. My son and I glassing at sunset
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great pic, on top of the world, wish I could still climb up there.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Do you have a GoFundMe account?

Please post...
Savage….But hilarious!
Urn for me.
When they’re ready they can dump me out into the wind where we hunt. My son and I glassing at sunset
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Friend of my wife and I was taking his dad’s ashes out to such place. He suffered a heart attack and his brother had to make the same trip shortly after.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
this thread band Harris kind of funny kind of like the classified threads p somebody would just want to split shipping with God

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is why I don't wear slippers

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
It may not be true but I heard a while back that you could rent a box/casket. that would work for me. I already have an old urn that can be used. I'm going as cheap as I can. Funerals are a huge rip-off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flatfish11
It may not be true but I heard a while back that you could rent a box/casket. that would work for me. I already have an old urn that can be used. I'm going as cheap as I can. Funerals are a huge rip-off.
Yes, you can rent a casket but it's not cheap, probably $1000+ here. They do that so you can have a viewing period for the funeral and then be cremated after. My wife had a relative do that. Waste of money to me but whatever. I'm going to use an Engel minnow cooler for an urn.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After the autopsy reclaim the body and bury it on your own land. Might need a permit from the county or some such (permits for everything).

I might look into that option if I can't find a burial at sea, no embalming, let the fish and worms eat me.

Or maybe I take a trip and wander off into some dark deep canyon and get lost where they can't find my bones for a few years.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
No viewing period for me. Nobody wants to see me now, be damned if I want 'em staring at me then. If I could get away with it, I'd rot away up on a platform out in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My duck dogs and I are going in beautiful custom decoys I had made.

Then we can all still go hunting.

I use them every day for my duck hunting now.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I want one of two extremes.

Either build me something like the Taj Mahal in terms of Grandeur and extravagance.

Or no casket at all, just a hole in the the ground with several different family members
with much Respect,Adoration and Sense of Mind Numbing loss, each digging the hole with their shovel's.

But the far more likely scenario ,is one Family Member using a backhoe to dig the hole while the rest are drinking beer and arguing as usual , and telling the one running the Backhoe to hurry up its hot out here.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went to college to pursue becoming an embalmer until that got screwed up by a family emergency so I know a bit about the industry. It is true that many states don't require the body be embalmed if its buried within usually 24 hours of death.

One thing that most people don't realize is that a body looks terrible once there is no vascular pressure and dependant lividity takes place. Not to mention the mottling of the skin and discoloration. Much of that is done away with during embalming by introducing arterial pressure, coloration and injection of fillers to stiffen and "plump" the skin.

Hell, I'd want it done just to make sure I'm not buried alive.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have donated my remains to a local research/teaching hospital. Upon my death they will pick up the body and use it for any usable organs that they have need of and use the rest for teaching aids. Student doctors have to learn on something. After they are done in 1 or 2 years, they cremate the remains and ship to the designated recipient, all at the research hospital's expense. I have a plot reserved in a rural cemetery that contains many of my ancestors since the early 1800s. Several months ago, I had my headstone placed there as well. I want my ashes buried in a Dutch oven. I had originally thought my survivors could just use one of mine, but I realized they would rather have them to cook in, so I bought a new one and set it aside in my garage for this purpose. When my time comes, all my wife and/or children need to do is drive my ashes in the designated Dutch oven to the cemetery along with a shovel from my tool shed, dig a deep enough hole in the good sandy loam dirt, sing a verse of Dixie, pass around a bottle of good bourbon, and have the final date put on the stone. Done deal. Take whatever money and stuff I leave and enjoy their lives. In my opinion, it is nothing but a waste to spend thousands of dollars on an elegant casket and such to mummify remains that no one will ever see again. JMHO,YMMV.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by rong

That pet casket looks good. Little bit of hatchet work, I bet I'd fit..

Yep...and even if they can't get all of you into one of em, a pair of those is way cheap.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Green burial is always an option for those who want to save money.

living the good life every day
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I'm going to denote my body to signs.

I was in line at the grocery store yesterday when the cashier told the guy in front of me his card was declined for insignificant funds.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I wanna be buried in a Mustang.
You got a recipe for a hay/grain/ashes mix that it will eat?

The American way of death is absurd. The cost of caskets and funerals is out of reason. They used to bury a person within a day of death unless the coroner needed more time with it. Embalming came about as a way to preserve the body until out of town relatives can get there. It's not necessary, usually not required, and does nothing but make money for the undertaker.
Expensive steel caskets and vaults do nothing but make cemeteries happy. They don't rot and leave a divot that has to be filled in a few years later.
They take someone who is grieving and often just broken inside and scam them for as much as possible. Someone will find a way to dispose of folks for $500 and make a killing.
I can't blame the morticians for all of the high cost. American have come to believe that they aren't honoring the dead unless they spend the price of new car. They want the highest priced casket and the biggest funeral. It's become "Our dad was the greatest. Spare no expense." So, the morticians are just doing what the family wants.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.