Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BamBam Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I appreciate all of the responses, some great advice! I don’t think I’m gonna buy another guide gun given the fact I have so many damn rifles to choose from if I go to the rifle route. I have a wicked light model, seven stainless in 358 Winchester, also have a 336 in 35.. and a few other light rifles and different calibers. Or maybe just a nice old slick Wood stocked Remington 870 magnum with an 18.5 inch barrel. I think I’ll go with the kiss, keep it simple stupid thought.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last trip into Waterton from Glacier and MT it was a small Inspection Station
and a friendly Inspector. We had gone off without our passports. Talked with him for 25 minutes
or so. Mr. Blackthorn, as I remember. Being a former INS Agent/Army officer I brought my old INS creds & badge.
He found that amusing as I should have known better.

He stated that he makes the decision as to who comes to Canada or not. He waved us through and said stay as long as you want.
That is my memory of Canadian Immigration and Canada.

As stated: bear spray-OK. Handguns are taboo-toxic forget them. Carry a lever action rifle or shotgun, whichever goes best with your spray.
I carry UDAP certified bear spray with a 450 Alaskan Model 71. That combination works .

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by dian
Check Canadian regs. I think the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 20"
I believe I stand corrected. 18.5"

that's for a semi auto. I belive a non-restricted pump just needs to be over 660mm in length and have a barrel greater than 457mm in length

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BamBam;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that the weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

There's a bit of a thread at the top of the Canada section which although dated, has some decent information and contacts for all sorts of things pertaining to hunters visiting here.

I'm cognizant you're not hunting per se, but nonetheless bringing a firearm along will have it's own set of hurdles.

The rules regarding barrel length are naturally illogical up here, so if you choose to alter a factory barrel, you are limited to no less than 18.5" on any action type. If it's a semi-auto, then that's the minimum length on either a shotgun or rifle.

However if it's a factory barrel on any action other than a semi-auto, then it becomes an overall length question, where the entire firearm must be 26.5" or a metric number close to that.

So for instance the little fellow in the middle is perfectly legal up here with no "restricted" or "prohibited" designations.

[Linked Image]

That said, if I was taking a trip across the country camping, like as not I'd take either the top or bottom one as they look a bit more pedestrian than the pistol gripped stock shorty.

Some provinces, I want to say New Brunswick and possibly Quebec, seem to have rules pertaining to carrying a firearm off road when it's not a hunting season. Hopefully someone who knows that legal tidbit can chime in and correct me on that?

As far as I'm aware in the 4 western provinces as well as the 3 territories one can carry something to protect oneself from animals.

That said, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the rules in the different jurisdictions for your own peace of mind as well as perhaps the peace of mind of the Canada Customs folks when you enter north of Maine.

You mentioned fishing and I want to say that's feasible but again it's best to check with the various provincial Ministry of Environments so you know your options for licenses. Here in BC for instance there's single day, 3 day and annual.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone coming up here.

All the best as you plan your retirement and the grand cross country trip.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, I trust you are doing well and getting ready for a great hunting season in Beautiful BC.

I just wanted to say that I really like the shogun in the middle, that Pistol Grip is sweet! Does it cause any movement restrictions?

Cheers ~

KB

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by KillerBee
......If Buckshot will do this to a car, I know what it will do to a bear's face!.......

Thanks for that video of the shotgun/car interfacing. Good stuff.

Maybe 10-15 years ago a couple duck hunters were in the Twentymile River drainage near Portage sitting in a boat with their dog and tied off to the bank. A rather large brown bear simply appeared, and was damned near in the boat with them when the shooting started. At least one of the initial shots was in the face at point blank range. #4 steel duck loads, both gun magazines plugged with a total of six rounds loaded, and I believe a reload occurred with a 7th round delivered in the ass of the retreating bear. The dead bear was found later not far from the scene. Neither men nor their dog was injured, although pants might have been soiled. I believe it was an older bear in the 8'+ size range.........maybe close to a 9'er.

NRA Life Endowment Member
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bam,

Obviously, you need to get a Beretta 1301 grin

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon back at you, we're well thanks and I hope you're all that way too.

It was opening morning yesterday for us for 6pt elk, 4pt mulie and any buck whitetail. Bear has been open on private land since the beginning of August and public land black bear opens on Sept. 01st, so we've been out a wee bit though it's still pretty warm so packing meat is a consideration.

Regarding the pistol grip shotgun, it's one of the many pumps made in Turkey which seem to be everywhere. The good folks at S&J hardware were blowing these out a few years back for crazy cheap and it came with one of their excellent Hi-Viz Delrin followers as well as a single point adapter plate which is $40 worth of goodies.

As an aside their no jam follower along with a new mag spring is the first thing I recommend to anyone working on a pump gun.

https://sjhardware.com/product/mossberg-no-jam-short-follower/

It didn't come with the pistol grip stock and since I've wanted to try one for awhile, I found one on gunnutz, actually in your town if I'm not wrong, for about $50 shipped.

On the shorty, I think it helps me control the recoil and muzzle flip a wee bit more than before. It's rubberized and that seems to be not a bad thing either, again for the recoil issue when firing reasonably peppy slug loads.

The newer models had a 13" barrel which is an inch shorter than that one and it's already short enough as far as how close the blast is to the shooter's face. If I don't kill a bruin with it, especially with the Challenger Gualandi slugs it'll scorch them out to 10' or so. laugh

Anyways I don't mind the pistol grip, but it's likely a personal thing for sure and might not be everyone's or anyone else's choice.

Hope that helped.

Good luck in your hunts this fall KillerBee.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntster
......If Buckshot will do this to a car, I know what it will do to a bear's face!.......

Maybe 10-15 years ago a couple duck hunters were in the Twentymile River drainage near Portage sitting in a boat with their dog and tied off to the bank. A rather large brown bear simply appeared, and was damned near in the boat with them when the shooting started. At least one of the initial shots was in the face at point blank range. #4 steel duck loads, both gun magazines plugged with a total of six rounds loaded, and I believe a reload occurred with a 7th round delivered in the ass of the retreating bear. The dead bear was found later not far from the scene. Neither men nor their dog was injured, although pants might have been soiled. I believe it was an older bear in the 8'+ size range.........maybe close to a 9'er.

Portage Creek drainage actually. And I do not believe the bear left the scene.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Huntster, I have been on some very exciting duck hunts in my time, the most exciting hunts was when we hunted out of my father's Sink Box, for divers.

Throwing a Grizz into the mix, well that just makes a great duck hunt seem like child's play!

I wish it were me on that hunt of a lifetime, a story to tell grandchildren, that's for sure.

Cheers

KB

B
BamBam Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Bam,

Lol, actually, I have one :-) in black set up with a red dot fun to shoot, quick SOB. Sometimes I think I have too many fire arms. that definitely is not going on the trip with me.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
.......I have been on some very exciting duck hunts in my time, the most exciting hunts was when we hunted out of my father's Sink Box, for divers.

Throwing a Grizz into the mix, well that just makes a great duck hunt seem like child's play!

I wish it were me on that hunt of a lifetime, a story to tell grandchildren, that's for sure.

Cheers

I love observing big boar grizzlies best when they're on a dead run going the opposite direction. I regularly take great measures to keep them at a distance. Hopefully, I'll continue having great success at that.

Cheers!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Portage Creek drainage actually. And I do not believe the bear left the scene.

You made me look:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/articl...-unbelievable-grizzly-attack/2011/10/18/

You're correct. Moreover, I was incorrect on the number of rounds fired. It was 12. They both reloaded. There were also two dogs. They also got one duck.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Huntster, I have been on some very exciting duck hunts in my time, the most exciting hunts was when we hunted out of my father's Sink Box, for divers.

I’d love to hear more about that!

I’m a semi reformed layout shooter, but never have had the opportunity. Was that in the St. Lawrence?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BamBam
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Bam,

Lol, actually, I have one :-) in black set up with a red dot fun to shoot, quick SOB. Sometimes I think I have too many fire arms. that definitely is not going on the trip with me.

Rhetorical question then smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I’d love to hear more about that!

I’m a semi reformed layout shooter, but never have had the opportunity. Was that in the St. Lawrence?

Good call, Yes we hunted two different places in my father's Sink Box. One was on the St. Lawrence by a town called Maskinongé, Québec in a section of the St. Lawrence River called Lac Saint Pierre, we also hunted in Lac Des Deux Montagnes/Lake of Two Mountains, a lake attached to the St. Lawrence.

Man was that ever fun hunting American Goldeneye (Whistlers), Bluebills, Squaws, Scalp Mallards, and all kinds of ducks. I had a privileged childhood that is for sure!

Quebec was the only Province where Sink Boxes were not banned. I believe you can still hunt out of a Sink Box in Quebec. I have not lived there since 1987, and have not followed the regulations there.

My Father's Sink Box was similar to this one, found the picture on the internet.

The video is what it was like this video.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/12/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi again Huntster, since you asked and for the fun of it I thought I would show you one of our sink box setups, the one at (in English) Lake of Two Mountains. I was born and raised in Quebec.

We called it The Point. Thanks to GOOGLE EARTH, I can actually show it to you.

My father had permission to hunt on a point of this lake, it went out further than any other point on that lake. We built a Piano Blind on that point and hunted it all season. Sometimes we would have flocks of 35+ Whistlers coming into our decoys, I will never forget the whistling sound they made especially if it was foggy and you could not see them but only hear them coming, then out from the fog there they were. What fun!

When my father bought his sink box we set it up about 1/4 - 1/2 a mile out from the point, was a lot of work and we had a 22' aluminum Jon Boat that my father welded an exact model onto the top so it and cut the bottom out of it, really neat looking boat, looked like a tank. My father named it "The Queen Mary" lol.

Anyway, while we had two shooters in the sink box, three of us would hunt in the piano blind, when the shooters shot ducks from the sink box they would wave a big white flag and someone would hop in the Queen Marry and go out to pick up the ducks that were floating in the water cripples were chased down and shot from the boat with #9 or 7.5 bird shot.

That was back 1972- 1974, I was 12 years old then. I took these images from GOOGLE Earth to show you our setup, and brought back some fond memories.

I decided that I wanted to Hunt Big Game and moved out west, I have spent the vast majority of my hunting time hunting Moose, Elk, Bears, Whitetail, and Mulies ever since, with a few duck and goose hunts along the way.

I live on a small lake now and we have all kinds of ducks on our property and on the lake in our backyard, so I look at them as pets now lol. I took the picture of this Hen Goldeneye 30 minutes ago right on our shoreline. Can't even imagine shooting them anymore.

Anyhow you asked me to tell you about so I thought you might find this setup Interesting. If you would like to see our other setup, I would be happy to send you a few more pictures, it was incredible!

Have a great day, Sir!

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/13/23.

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That is really neat. Thanks for sharing!

I grew up dreaming about doing a sinkbox hunt someday; talked to a guy in Québec a couple of times while living in the East Coast who had a guide operation - was never able to make the timing work. Appreciate you posting the above.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry AKwolverine, that post was meant to respond to your request. My apologies to you as well Huntster!

Need more coffee. lol

KB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,906
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.