Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Going to get a new wood stove. I cut my wood at about 20" long. Don't like splitting a lot so it's not kindling size. Current stove can take 3 sticks 25" , 7-8" diameter.
Looking hard at the Englander 15-W08. Anyone have this stove or any recommendation?

Hang on tight !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can hardly drive a straight nail.
Putting my wood stove in was so simple.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Post your question over at hearth.com
These gear heads really know wood stoves.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-hearth-room-wood-stoves-and-fireplaces.6/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I can hardly drive a straight nail.
Putting my wood stove in was so simple.

last year I put in a "slammer" fireplace insert, but my wife and I put in an insulated liner in the chimney - got our house up to code. Took us maybe 3 hours. Also bought a chimney sweep kit from Amazon, do it now once a season.

I don't have a recommendation on a stove, I don't use mine as a primary source of heat so the 80's model I have that I can burn a tire or garbage or whatever in it serves me well. Not very efficient but it will help out if we ever lose power.

I used Hearth.com to get me educated on what I needed to do

Last edited by KFWA; 09/12/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad has a blaze king princess. The amount of heat it extracts from a piece of wood is impressive.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your gonna want to get a metal one. The wood ones don't last.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Jotul Oslo that I bought 6 years ago. It will take 20 inch sticks but I use 16 inch wood. It is a great stove, girlfriend and I both love it.
However, 2 years ago Jotul changed this stove and the new ones now have a cat. I don't know how well they do with the cat.
However if you can find a 6 year old Oslo you will love it.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I bought a Pacific Energy Summit model. It will truly burn all night without reloading. Great stove.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wood stove is outside. Same place where cats and dogs belong.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Quadra-Fire 5700 Step Top bought it 22 years ago have only had to replace the fire brick once....I usually start burning wood late October until beginning of May it has no problem keeping a 2700 sq ft home warm in the mid 70's when it's below zero outside....my gas bill is usually under $20.00 a month...
They're not an inexpensive stove but I got lucky purchasing mine payed $600 for it new.....dealer was selling out and mismarked the price....

I cut all my wood 20" leave about 1/4 of the pieces small to get a fire going and leave the rest large....the Quadra-Fire 5700 Step Top is a large stove it can take 24" long pieces and hold a lot of wood no problem filling at 10:30 pm and stir the coals at 7:00 am in the morning and add some wood at 10:00 am....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
My dad has a blaze king princess. The amount of heat it extracts from a piece of wood is impressive.

Yup. A friend has a Blaze King Ashford 30. His house stays warm for 48hrs on one burn with sub-zero outside temps.

I'm getting a Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. It has a soapstone lined firebox and a tertiary burn system.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have a Jotul Oslo that I bought 6 years ago. It will take 20 inch sticks but I use 16 inch wood. It is a great stove, girlfriend and I both love it.
However, 2 years ago Jotul changed this stove and the new ones now have a cat. I don't know how well they do with the cat.

I have the same stove of similar vintage and agree it is a great stove.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve got an older Englander NC-30, in a cabin. Rated to 2400 sq ft. Obviously, that doesn’t help with the specific model you’re looking at, but I can speak for the brand.

Doubt you’ll find anything made in USA for anywhere near as cheap. (Drolet, out of Canada, MAY come close). They are good quality. The blowers, while handy, tend to be louder than what you’ll want to regularly use in something like a living room. If you’ve got a ceiling fan, it’s not an issue, but I wouldn’t plan on using the blower much if you have it in the living room with you (as opposed to a basement installation).

The damper on mine won’t let in enough air to allow easy starting, so I usually have to crack the door for about 30 mins to get a new fire going. There are ways to open the damper up a bit, to alleviate this issue. I’m sure the damper comes restricted to meet certain EPA regs, and it’s fine once it gets going, but starting requires more air, until it starts drafting well. As mentioned, Hearth.com forums are a GREAT resource for info.

They are good quality, reasonably priced stoves, and will certainly get the job done. If this is something you’re needing EVERY DAY (not just supplemental heat or for a vacation cabin) there may be better options, but they’ll likely be at least twice the price.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I replaced the wood stove in the old cabin over 10 years ago and read just about every review on hearth.com. In the end, the two brands that people were happiest with were Jotul and Blaze King. I went with a Blaze King and it has far exceeded my expectations. They advertise you'll burn one third less wood for the same amount of heat and my experience backs this up. It will hold heat overnight with plenty of coals left to get a fire going quickly in the morning.

So when you're thinking about one third the wood burnt for the same amount of heat, don't forget that is also one third less hauling, stacking and splitting. Yes, it is a catalytic stove and you will have to replace the catalyst from time to time, depending on how much you use your wood stove. If I were to buy another wood stove today, I'd get another Blaze King.

One thing to note is if you like looking at the flames more than the heat a stove puts out a Blaze King isn't for you. There will be plenty of flames when you light it and when you move the control to send the smoke through the catalyst it will put on quite a show - for awhile. Eventually, there will be no more flame yet the heat is still there. Don't know exactly how it works, but it really works.

Last edited by walt501; 09/12/23.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A lot of folks use Kuma stoves in north Idaho where they are made, Rathdrum, not far from me place. They get good reviews.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another vote for Pacific Energy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I kinda miss the whole wood burning thing after moving to SC. Kinda. ..For a brief period each fall

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by EdM

Here's the Oslo in action. That is not trick photography, the fire view is fantastic.
Daisy also likes the Oslo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Here's the Oslo in action. That is not trick photography, the fire view is fantastic.

I've got some windows on mine but within 20 minutes they are coated in creosote. Maybe the wood is too green. I'd like to have it stay clean longer

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
KFWA do you have a moisture meter? You can
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by EdM

I've got some windows on mine but within 20 minutes they are coated in creosote. Maybe the wood is too green. I'd like to have it stay clean longer

Do you use a moisture meter? You can buy one at Lowes for $39.
I get my wood to below 17 percent. My glass will stay clean for several days.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=moisture+meter&refinement=4294867954

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 24 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.