Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Ron is always well-spoken, pragmatic, reasoned and without a lot hype.

Would love to have a drink or six with him.

Originally Posted by deflave
I always liked Spomer’s articles.

+1 .......

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 6.5 in sako s20 because I got a great deal on it... very nice gun to shoot... incredibly accurate... the only 6.5 I have but I will still hunt with my 30-06 90% of the time... I do not know why so many people get butt hurt about change. FWIW, Ron only make videos to make money and the more controversial they are, the more views he gets and the more money he makes.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've harvested a few truckloads of deer with a 6.5-06- - - - -never had one refuse to fall down because I wasn't using the latest fad cartridge. Most were bang/flop, no tracking kills.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston 2
I hope that maingy, stray dog shows up tonite. I gotta new jar of Skippy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Well the 30-06 has been around for 3-4 generations and is still good to kill anything in North America. The 308 came out in the mid-50's and it became a great cartridge. Now 60-100 years later the 6.5 is supposed to be better. Every backwoods store in North America will have these in stock for anyone that hunts, along with 22lr and 12 gauge shells. What does the Creedmore do, give you maybe 50 more yards of effective range. 99% of hunting is under 250 yards. Over than you need braces to hold steady enough to shoot something or shoot prone.

Over the last several years, the ONLY ammo I consistently saw on the shelf was 6.5 Creed with the "normals" being missing. Smallest store I was in was about 15x20 tho in a town of 382.

I noticed the same thing. I’ve never had a man-bun, but am thinking I need to invest in one for that reason alone. Obviously the gun makers and ammo makers know the drill. Come out with new cartridge and focus on that, leaving gaps in availability for old standbys leading to the sale of more new rifles and ammo.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I didnt even watch the video but from the title it seems that a boomer is saying the 6.5 Creedmoor is falling out of favor or popularity. Why does the boomer generation hate change? And that's an honest question, not trolling or trying to start shìt. My parents are boomers (dads dead now) but I witnessed it with them too.
Most of us don't hate change - we just see no practical, real advantage, of the recent changes.
I prefer getting closer to my prey. It's more fun and reduces the chance of things going haywire.
You’re missing the point.

I love old cartridges too. Not everything is about hunting or hunting inside of 300 yards.

I haven’t watched the video yet, but don’t just about all of Spomer’s videos relate to hunting with the various cartridges? And usually his comparisons are based off of manufacturer velocity/bc claims and some ballistic charts he created with some basic ballistics app.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ron is always well-spoken, pragmatic, reasoned and without a lot hype.

Would love to have a drink or six with him.

I have hunted with him quite a bit in various places--and have also had a few drinks with him. Though he rarely drank much at all until a few years ago, when he started having some red wine at the end of the day. Our last "session" was just over a year ago in South Texas, where I had a few beers and he had maybe a standard bottle of red over 2-3 hours.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's a general over view of the strengths of the 6.5, but he does rate others high also...it's a fair assessment.

I have a 7mm-08 and a 260 Rem. which are essentially the same, and larger bore if I need them....so 6.5 won't be in my safe. My daughter shoots a .243, and is happy with it...so no need replacing it for her. She's hunted 2 years with me, killed 2 buck and 1 doe no problem.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
It's a general over view of the strengths of the 6.5, but he does rate others high also...it's a fair assessment.

I have a 7mm-08 and a 260 Rem. which are essentially the same, and larger bore if I need them....so 6.5 won't be in my safe. My daughter shoots a .243, and is happy with it...so no need replacing it for her. She's hunted 2 years with me, killed 2 buck and 1 doe no problem.
Thanks, pard

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The only reason I bought a 6.5 CM (well, actually 2 of them) was I had hunted a whole lotta NA animals with a 6.5 Swede over a span of more than 10 years. Then I gave away the Swede.

When the CM came out and I looked into it a bit, it was easy to see that the CM was simply a new-and-improved Swede, and that there was factory ammo everywhere.

Easy Button.

Based on my experience with the Swede, and if I didn't already have the CM's, I'd probably pick up a 6.5 PRC instead. But there's not enough difference between the CM & PRC in practical hunting terms for me to have both.

Last edited by Puddle; 09/11/23.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Puddle
The only reason I bought a 6.5 CM (well, actually 2 of them) was I had hunted a whole lotta NA animals with a 6.5 Swede over a span of more than 10 years. Then I gave away the Swede.

When the CM came out and I looked into it a bit, it was easy to see that the CM was simply a new-and-improved Swede, and that there was factory ammo everywhere.

Easy Button.
Are you Pards with Jud? He got ran off, but should some back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have creedmoor it is somewhere in that bucket in they 338 Edge post, I never found there was enough difference from a 260 Remington which I have two of a sammi and an AI version. By far the best 6.5 I have found to be is the 6.5 X 55 Swede it has been around for ever and up until a few years ago you could by 100 pcs of Lapua brass for $69 Bucks. I also have a sami and an AI version in that chamber they Ai version holds almost 60gr of powder that is ought 6 "not a typo" territory.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope the 6.5 CM doesn't go the way of the "WSSM' .

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Well the 30-06 has been around for 3-4 generations and is still good to kill anything in North America. The 308 came out in the mid-50's and it became a great cartridge. Now 60-100 years later the 6.5 is supposed to be better. Every backwoods store in North America will have these in stock for anyone that hunts, along with 22lr and 12 gauge shells. What does the Creedmore do, give you maybe 50 more yards of effective range. 99% of hunting is under 250 yards. Over than you need braces to hold steady enough to shoot something or shoot prone.

Put a 100 rounds through the 30.06 in an afternoon, then the 6.5 Creed and get back to us on your newfound appreciation for the Creed. 😀
I was at the range today with a 6.5 CM and a .338 Win Mag. Shooting the .338 back to back with the 6.5 CM really makes me appreciate how easy it is to shoot the Creedmoor!

On the other hand I like to use a variety of rifles, most of which have more recoil the the 6.5 CM, and I won't be getting rid of any of them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Remember that the two engineers from Hornady set out to design a long range cartridge with less wind drift and recoil than the .308 Win.. There was no design for it to be a hunting round. But as a result, with some higher quality bullets, the hunting crowd took over and found it to be a very easy round to shoot, hand load and notch tags with. It appeared Spomer was trying to provoke a fictitious controversy where non exists. Too many writers like to "stir the pot" with these red herring podcasts or writing. Further, what's with his hype and snicker over some dislike for the 6.5CM? Jeez, shoot what the hell you like and what works for you. While I usually like his podcasts, this one was a loser.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a 6.5 CM because I like 6.5s. It is a Ruger American Predator. It has been the easiest rifle I have ever loaded for. It has put everything I have loaded for it in a 1 1/4 inch group or less. I don't know if it is the rifle or because it's a 6.5 CM. That certainly means a lot in these days of fewer primers and less powder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the calibers anyone needs are like a hundred years old and still performing better than they ever did.

I don’t give a rat’s ass what calibers folk gravitate to, test, detest, or wanna play with.

I’d take a 270 Win over the 6.5 CM. I also prefer a low SD flat based round, I think they have better take down.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/11/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Spomer has some good points.

Remember the Remington SAUMs of several flavors? The answer to every shooter's dreams.

Remember the Winchester WSMs? How about the WSSMs?

How about the Federal compact mags?

The 6.5-284 that every factory was chambering a few years ago?

How many others have come and gone in the last fifty years?

The 6.5 Creedmoor has a bunch of competition, faster, slower, newer, older. Someday the 6.5 Creed will join the ranks of the 30-30 as a perfectly fine and useable cartridge which has been displaced by the next "flavor of the week".

Who knows, it might even join the ranks of the 284 Win as a mother of several great wildcats.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Now they just keep wasting valuable primers on stupid shìt like the 350 and 400 legend.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I put the 6.5 Creedmoor in the same category as the 243 Win. A great round for women and kids.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,361
Posts18,527,204
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.