Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-itas...ANLEAQYASABEgJfuPD_BwE&src=hardlines

No, they’re not Danners or something else of that class. They’re not $250-$300, either. They’ve got 800 gram Thinsulate and they’re waterproof and they’re $39.95. Beats the heck out of your kid having cold/wet feet, and they’re going to outgrow them in a season or two, anyway. Just a suggestion for anyone looking for hunting boots for their “still growing” kid/teenager. Sizes men 7-14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fburgtx
https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-itas...ANLEAQYASABEgJfuPD_BwE&src=hardlines

No, they’re not Danners or something else of that class. They’re not $250-$300, either. They’ve got 800 gram Thinsulate and they’re waterproof and they’re $39.95. Beats the heck out of your kid having cold/wet feet, and they’re going to outgrow them in a season or two, anyway. Just a suggestion for anyone looking for hunting boots for their “still growing” kid/teenager. Sizes men 7-14.
I had a pair of Itascas once. Easily the worst pair of boots I ever had. Didn't last halfway through one season. Started leaking the third day I wore them. After that just started wearing them around the house/yard as work boots and within a couple months the soles were coming off. Never again. They are no bargain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks,
I ordered a pair. All they gotta do is last 4-5 trips and he'll have out grown them anyways.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RUM7
Thanks,
I ordered a pair. All they gotta do is last 4-5 trips and he'll have out grown them anyways.

Yep. I just got them in for my son.

Am I gonna put him in them for an elk hunt in the mountains?? No… They’ll be just fine for a few trips to chase whitetail, and to sit in a stand in the cold, though.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Prepare to be thrown in the crappiest nursing home he can find in 35 years.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No opinion on the shoe but LOL

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jcubed

No opinion on the shoe but LOL
I hear that all the time from my youngest. He worked on an ambulance and knows where the bad ones are. Actually pretty much all are bad to a degree.

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F

You ought to see the stuff MY dad had me in. Blue jeans with thermals under them. A couple of flannel shirts under an M65 jacket. His old moc toe leather hiking boots that weren’t insulated OR waterproof.

That’s is what kids wore back in the 80’s, before you could get cheap/warm hunting gear for young folks.

If some of you guys want to regale us with stories of how you bought your kids $300 boots, only to see them outgrow them 6 months later, then go right ahead….

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought my first pair of $300 boots four years ago at age 57. I think the first boots I bought for my kids were inexpensive Rockies years ago. They grew out of them in a couple of years IIRC.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
I bought my first pair of $300 boots four years ago at age 57. I think the first boots I bought for my kids were inexpensive Rockies years ago. They grew out of them in a couple of years IIRC.

I was wearing size 10-1/2 when I started college, and was size 12 when I finished. No $300 Danners or Sharkskin-toed Kangaroo uplands until I was well into my 30’s.

Reminds me of the 10 year-old I saw running through the racks at the Dallas Beretta Gallery, years ago, oblivious to the fact that his Daddy was buying him a Beretta 686 for his FIRST shotgun. Kid had NO appreciation for what was going on. Guy probably thought his kid was too special to hunt an H&R/Rem 870 or 1100/Mossberg 500, for a year or two before spoiling him…

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You ought to see the stuff MY dad had me in. Blue jeans with thermals under them. A couple of flannel shirts under an M65 jacket. His old moc toe leather hiking boots that weren’t insulated OR waterproof.

That’s is what kids wore back in the 80’s, before you could get cheap/warm hunting gear for young folks.

If some of you guys want to regale us with stories of how you bought your kids $300 boots, only to see them outgrow them 6 months later, then go right ahead….
I'm a cheap SOB. Never owned an expensive pair of boots in my life {180.00 max, mostly less than 150.00} and I still wouldn't buy Itascas for me or my kids. You'll be lucky if those boots remain waterproof through a half dozen days hunting. They are bottom of the barrel junk.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I wouldn't buy the kid a 300 dollar pair of boots but dang(!) there must be some room between 30 and 300!

I am MAGA.
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F

I wouldn't buy the kid a 300 dollar pair of boots but dang(!) there must be some room between 30 and 300!

There is!! It’s $39.95 (They’re realistically $65-$70 boots). See? An extra $9.95…. I may get that “World’s Greatest Dad” mug for Christmas, after all….

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I'm a cheap SOB. Never owned an expensive pair of boots in my life {180.00 max, mostly less than 150.00} and I still wouldn't buy Itascas for me or my kids. You'll be lucky if those boots remain waterproof through a half dozen days hunting. They are bottom of the barrel junk.

Thanks for your valuable input. I’ve got $800 Leddy’s and $500 Beck’s. As for my kid (age 14) he spends half his time running around in $30 Crocs (which I hate, but he loves). I think he’ll survive 3-4 trips, sitting in a deer stand at 30-40 degrees, for a 2 month deer season.

Feel free to report me to CPS, or something. Cheezus [bleep] rice….

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had Rocky boots and Timberland, both wore well and were moderately priced.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Easy Rod.....it's the 'Campfire after all.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've had Rocky boots and Timberland, both wore well and were moderately priced.
You can get a pair of Herman Survivors or Rockys from Wal - Mart for 60.00 - 90.00 that are much better/more durable than Itaskas. I tried to warn my buddy away from Itaska but he thought he was being thrifty and had to find out for himself they are junk. Course for a real hard charger that's only going to walk a hundred yards to a stand in warm weather they'll probably be OK for a few "hunts". LOL

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Life’s too short to have schitty boots. Even for your kids.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This year alone, I've bought my son $100 football cleats, 2 pair of $100 basketball shoes. (Summer and Winter leagues) church shoes, work boots and just bought new sneakers for school.
He'll live with some cheap hunting boots. for a few trips after mule deer and 4 or 5 upland shooting trips.

Sucker grows like a weed right now.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RUM7
This year alone, I've bought my son $100 football cleats, 2 pair of $100 basketball shoes. (Summer and Winter leagues) church shoes, work boots and just bought new sneakers for school.
He'll live with some cheap hunting boots. for a few trips after mule deer and 4 or 5 upland shooting trips.

Sucker grows like a weed right now.

Good news!

We are extending Arts and Crafts four hours today!

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 15 invisible), 1,610 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,939
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.