Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I am interested in one of these. Seeking opinions of anyone who has one. Good, bad, or Ugly?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's kinda handy, I haven't accurized it any and it seems about as good as most 22s in that price range.

I'm stuck trying to get it to shoot better with "non-lead" bullets if I want to hunt with it here. Seems to shoot minute of varmint at 50 yds or so with the CCI Copper-22. I'd rather have other options in rimfire for rabbits should the population ever rebound around here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've had a couple.

Loved them both. But like most takedowns, not a whole lot of purpose. Just cool.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like mine. It shoots well enough for what I'm doing. Plenty good for rabbits or varmints. I put it in a magpul backpacker stock, and added skinner sights for the takedown model. Very neat little package.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are very customizable. If you want it to shoot really good you can get a custom barrel, trigger group and such. They shoot bench rest with them if they're tuned well. You can drop $1200 or more on a good one. Just out of the box they're ok but not as accurate as a bolt action. The top bridge is very thin and it's easy to over torque the scope rail screws and strip the little 6-48 screws. Some research will offer a wealth of information on building one. You can even get custom actions, stocks and everything else. Go to Auto Bench Rest Association and look at their stuff on them.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cv540
I am interested in one of these. Seeking opinions of anyone who has one. Good, bad, or Ugly?

Good..yes

Badd.....No

Ugly....not

As mentioned....aftermarket mods from TK & M Carbo are endless

After a few stove pipes...you'll replace the ejector and other stuff

I added a red dot sight...great shooter ! Yes..especially easy to take down & clean

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

But then

you might want a PC9

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Handy to hide or store for later.

Want it to use it now, no advantage.

Xtra cash, a good percentage, over the standard model.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 270jrk
I really like mine. It shoots well enough for what I'm doing. Plenty good for rabbits or varmints. I put it in a magpul backpacker stock, and added skinner sights for the takedown model. Very neat little package.

Yes, was looking at a model with that stock. You like it?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When these first came out they were the Team USA models, blue stocks, red bags, and silver finished rifles. I bought 2 and held on to them for about a year then they started coming out with other models and their parts hit the market. I changed out the stock for an Kryptec ($30 off Ebay)and got a brown bag ($30 off Ebay), added a Kidd Trigger group and a Leupold scope with QD rings. Really like the rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cool AF rig.

A definite candidate for a stash gun.

The logo on the bags bug the hell out of my slightly paranoid azz. A take down rifle. Incognito?? Like school books or something. Then identify it with logo? the brown bag less advertising than the black one w/the big red logo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bought one in 2022 on the way to the 24 Hr hog hunt. I put a dot sight on it. What a great little rifle!

Sam......

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve got the TD model in the Magpul backpacker stock. I like it a lot. Haven’t done any real accuracy testing with it, but it shoots well enough with cheap Remington Thunderbolts. It’s primarily a plinker for me, but it will easily fit in a pack, in luggage or whatever. The stock holds three magazines in addition to the magazine you store in the gun. 40 rounds loaded in the gun in a nice neat package. Very cool. I’ll take it on my elk trip this fall and if there are any days I won’t be hunting elk with my rifle I may keep it in my pack in case I come across some grouse.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I will be the outlier here and say that I really don't see the point of them.

disclaimer - I do not own one. However I have a couple of friends who have them and I have shot theirs enough to know that, at least on those two, the accuracy is not quite as good as a standard 10/22.

I just do not see the point of them - they are heavier than a standard 10/22 and while they are cool in concept I do not see any real advantage to them over a standard 10/22. A standard 10/22 only requires an allen wrench to take down into a package that is only slightly longer than the takedown, and it come apart and goes back together almost as fast as the takedown. As far as returning to zero my standard 10/22 seems to return to zero as close as their takedown model.

I do realize that I don't have the cool takedown pack but that is easily rectified if I really feel a need for one, and it is unlikely to have "steal me" logos on it.

Guess I'll never be one of the cool kids.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buy any old 10/22 and a Choate folding stock. Result is a firearm the same size as a disassembled take down 10/22, except with the flick of my arm, my so equipped 10/22 is ready to roll.

It would be nice if the Choate barrel channel fit closer, but I don’t use the hand guard.

I like the concept of the takedown, but it is redundant with a folding stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, was looking at a model with that stock. You like it?

I like the backpacker stock very much! Ergonomics are better for me, holds extra magazines and the two halves can clip together. I very much recommend you get one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would not have gotten one if it were not such a fantastic deal when a local grocery chain stopped selling guns and had a 60% off sale on the first 10% off Geezer Day sale... 60% off and 10% of that off equals 36% of their lowest sale price... less than $200 each for the two they had left when I got there.

Now I think it was a screaming deal on a useful little rifle.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Freddie’s quit the gun business?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I would not have gotten one if it were not such a fantastic deal when a local grocery chain stopped selling guns and had a 60% off sale on the first 10% off Geezer Day sale... 60% off and 10% of that off equals 36% of their lowest sale price... less than $200 each for the two they had left when I got there.

Now I think it was a screaming deal on a useful little rifle.
was that store a Freddie's ?

Seems like they did away with most sporting goods in OR too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 5 different 10/22s to include a Stainless takedown with the Magpul Hunter stock (not backpacker) and honestly aside from the extra cost and the "wow" factor when showing off the takedown feature to friends; the takedown doesn't really do anything for me that a standard one doesn't already do. I never find myself in the woods with a gun in a bag in opposed to in my hands.

With that said, there are definitely instances where the takedown feature would shine. Some that come to mind would be a stoe away gun in a vehicle or camper. Bugout bags also come to mind. Or maybe you live in a neighborhood or apartment where walking to your vehicle with a dedicated gun case would draw the wrong kind of attention. So they have their place.

They have there place but for most people, myself included, one version (or 4) of the standard rifle would suffice.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.