Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I kinda have the urge to trade my 2008 Highlander for a 4Runner. Questions: Is this a good time to think about it at all? Would it be better to buy new? If used, are there are particularly good or bad years of recent models?

I do not want to hear that I should buy a F150 Lightning or a '72 Cadillac, okay?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You need an ‘85 4runner with a 22r 4cyl and rusted out rear quarters!!! Or something…..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have you test drove a 4 runner ? Wife and i hated the runnner and ended up buying a highlander. As for is it a good time to buy, i would still say no .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 2018 4Runner sr5 premium new. Never had any issues or repairs other than tires, 2 sets headlamps, and regular maintenance. My only issue is some paint chipping, and I read my color white, had some bad batches of primer. It has a little over 100K miles, but runs and look pretty much like new.
Used prices are pretty high, I would try getting a new one for MSRP. Dealers are adding a bunch of add ons, or I would get a new one myself, even though I don’t need a new one.
So I love my 4Runner, but universally dealers are really raping customers. Good vehicle, bad sales environment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I kinda have the urge to trade my 2008 Highlander for a 4Runner. Questions: Is this a good time to think about it at all? Would it be better to buy new? If used, are there are particularly good or bad years of recent models?

I do not want to hear that I should buy a F150 Lightning or a '72 Cadillac, okay?

Still not really a good time to buy right now. Even used prices are way up. '15's still going for close to 30 grand. I'd think an 08 Highlander should still have all sorts of life still left in it. I'd probably wait it out. I have a '15 4 runner premium that is like new with 75,000 miles on it that I'd sell you for $27,000, if you have the cash.. It's always been garaged. You'll spend a long time looking for anything cleaner:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No I would not buy or trade right now.

I love 4Runners but they are not comparable to a Highlander.

The Highlander is more over the road sedan. The 4Runner is closer to a truck.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a 2020 TRD Off-road with suspension upgraded, ride is very good, mileage not so much. Knew that going in and it is not our daily driver, I think it has around 40k miles on it know and has been trouble free.

Wife is looking at the new Land Cruiser and will be more than likely buying one when they are released. Will be keeping the 4-runner.

My 2010 2500HD is getting quite a bit of miles on it and the 4-runner will become my main driver.

CK
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Where are you, bsa? I'd be half tempted to come look at that one.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have a21 4runner Premium TRD...Great rig that can go just about anywhere. 64000 trouble free miles on it and KBB says its still worth 37-39k...However, if I was in shoes, I would wait till the 2025's come out late next year. They will have the restyle - similar to the new tacomas - with the Hybrid 4 cyclindar that suppose to be like 320 HP/ over 400 Torque and way better gas mileage.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
UAW strike will happen. Would expect that to cause weird things to happen in the marketplace. I have no clue at all what that would be tho.

There's 50 days supply out there, OEMs generally like 30. EV sales have tanked pushing that inventory to 130 days.

Auto carrier says - they won't get concerned until the strike hits 6 weeks, that's when they run out of work and it starts hurting.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2011 Trail, been a great rig but it should be since its only got 55k on it so far. It only gets about 17 MPG most of the time but its a nice all around tow/hunt/run around SUV. It rides really nice even with Goodyear "E" rated Duratracs on it.

I'm interested to see the next new updated one, but the current V6 - auto trans model out now is a pretty bullet proof set-up not fancy but also not much to go wrong so thats a good thing.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/12/23.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Premium package is almost unobtanium down here. They don’t last on the lot more than a couple days. Wife doesn’t like the front end of the SR5. Probably will wait till the second year of the new body style and engine combo to sort itself out. 4 cylinder with turbos don’t bother me much, but the current V6 is super solid. My boy drives an ‘09 Highlander with the 3.5. It’s not going anywhere since it just turned 100,000.

Good luck

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My main issue is towing my boat. It's only a 2,000-lb bass boat but that's the rated capacity of my 2008 Highlander, which didn't come originally with a tow package. It struggles a bit on the mountains we have out here.

The negatives to changing to a 4runner are that I'd be buying more gas all the time versus only when I'm towing. I also hear that insurance is higher for a 4runner because it is rated as off-road.

Still cogitating. Thanks for all the good words so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My main issue is towing my boat. It's only a 2,000-lb bass boat but that's the rated capacity of my 2008 Highlander, which didn't come originally with a tow package. It struggles a bit on the mountains we have out here.

The negatives to changing to a 4runner are that I'd be buying more gas all the time versus only when I'm towing. I also hear that insurance is higher for a 4runner because it is rated as off-road.

Still cogitating. Thanks for all the good words so far.

Wow - didn't know they were rated so low for towing. I know the 4Runner is better than the Highlander but my Tacoma is like 6500 and gets better mileage than a 4Runner - do you really need/want the SUV seating?

Me

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a '21 Limited. Pros and cons.

Pros 4.0 is a bullet proof engine and they have had plenty of time to get any bugs out of the body. Hold their value really well. Very solid vehicle.

Cons MPG, and they are coming out with a new body style so previous body may take a hit in value. Also Toyota usually doesn't have issues with revamps, but if they do, they usually have them in the first or second year. They are popular, so dealing on one usually means paying window price.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by driggy
I have a '21 Limited. Pros and cons.

Pros 4.0 is a bullet proof engine and they have had plenty of time to get any bugs out of the body. Hold their value really well. Very solid vehicle.

Cons MPG, and they are coming out with a new body style so previous body may take a hit in value. Also Toyota usually doesn't have issues with revamps, but if they do, they usually have them in the first or second year. They are popular, so dealing on one usually means paying window price.

Agree.......the 4.0L is a great motor.....have had two in Taco trucks

But for my money the GX 460 would get my vote......up to 2013

Post '13 the grill/nose looks like schidt......powertrain the same

For similar money.....similar MPG even with the GX 4.6L V8

Plus the 6 speed transmission

4Runners are great.......have had 'em too

iffin you wanna look like every other truck headed to Moab in Utah

Pic.......'89 4Runner in the Tetons.......taken in 1990...last of the two doors

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best time to buy a 4Runner is always now.

Same for a Taco.

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would keep looking, and when you find a good used one be ready to grab it. I traded my '06 SR5 4Runner in on a '16 Limited and am a happy 4Runner camper. First one I bought new, second one was used and 3 years old, but had been Toyota Certified, which is a very thorough inspection which I'd recommend if you go used.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve owned one of these since 2014, 33K miles on mine and I paid $32.5K new when I got it. Good to see they still retain a good value.

4Runner was what I went after and I’m glad it’s in my stable. Never an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.