Campfire Regular
S
Anyone use a side charging upper on there AR, what's pro and cons

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
the obvious plus is no charging handle. I have 2 uppers probably no longer made. LAR grizzle and MMC

minus is it is not amby though there may be side amby's avail now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The majority are from dogshite makes like BCA

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A crap shoot. Just had two brought in that would not function with factory ammo. New in the box....not so good.

Why did you buy these things, they were cheap....

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bear Creek makes a bunch, non-charging handle cheap. I wouldn't want one.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a Sanders Armory Side Charging 18″ 6.5 Grendel upper just to try one out. I put it on an aero precision lower. I like it. So far no problems, it functions just as well as any of my other AR's. The grandkids like to shoot it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Gibbz

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not too keen on having to take the charging handle off in order to remove the BCG from the upper.

The only side charger I own is a Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR that just came in today. I went to clean the bore, and quickly realized I needed to remove a hex bolt in order to remove the charging handle, in order to remove the bolt from the receiver. I said fck it, and cleaned it from the muzzle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I love my Gibbz

Me too, got three of them.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
I love my Gibbz

That's intriguing. I looked around a little on the Gibbz site but didn't see anything about disassembly (MM's comment made me think of it).

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
By the way, the reloads that worked on the AR-15 300 BO side charger, were loaded with: AA-1680 for supersonic and H-110 on the subs.
Guy that had the factory ammo that would not function at all, asked if I would...NO. Then asked if he could, YES and I will teach you how.
So we pick up another reloader, with a rifle that now works and shoots sub 1/2 inch groups.
Another lifetime convert. Like the man and a fish deal.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by aalf
I love my Gibbz

That's intriguing. I looked around a little on the Gibbz site but didn't see anything about disassembly (MM's comment made me think of it).

The Gibbz has a nonreciprocating bolt handle. Pop the rear pin and slide the BCA out, easy peasy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by richj
the obvious plus is no charging handle. I have 2 uppers probably no longer made. LAR grizzle and MMC

minus is it is not amby though there may be side amby's avail now.

I have 2 LAR grizzly side charge..... awesome, night and day better than the BCA,
I know Potterfield has them also but have not been impressed with his AR wares

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Potter's are BCA sold under his ar stoner brand. That's why they're so cheap. I'm about to see if one works. I didn't mind unscrewing a hex bold to clean it but it does look pretty cheap overall. I'll see if it shoots, if not I'm not out much.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't save posts to be used as weapons later, but I could swear I've seen comments trashing BCA while praising AR Stoner.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Picked up a BCA side charger in 450bush. Jury is still out so far ill stick with my other 450 AR for hunting this year. Worse case, I sell it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the major Pro's is that you get less gas-blast to the face if you're using a suppressor. Even with a well-tuned upper (adjustable gas block or properly sized gas hole in the barrel matched to the proper buffer), you can get extra blowback when using a suppressor. A side-charger eliminates that.

Another "pro" is that if you're in position you can charge the rifle without removing your face from the stock and continue looking through your scope or whatever sight you're using.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/04/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,482,995
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.