Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking at one of their scopes, anyone have any real life testimonials to offer?

Thanks in advance

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Not on a scope but their binoculars are mighty fine and the C series was a great value (I thought). Clarity excellent as well as light gathering in very low light.

Customer service excellent. One of my eye pieces wasn’t extending as it should and they sent me two replacements no cost.

It seems they are doing what others are - high end scopes are Japanese glass and assembled in their US plant. Lower end are assembled offshore - per their faq section on website.

I would buy another set of Maven binoculars, without question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few. Great scopes. Very light and durable

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Great binos. Good value

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Maven also interest's me, id like to try a pair of the B7 10x25 pocket bino's.....Hb

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have their 8x32 binocular… Serviceable, but not that great, but what can you expect in todays market for 350-400.00. Not even close to a Zeiss 8x32 bought several years ago for 599.00. The smaller set and forget scope looks nice on paper, but I am hesitant after my bino purchase.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They are only 40 minutes from me, but I have not seen anything they make that is of interest to me.

So I know they are a bit expensive, but the issue of price VS quality is unknown to me.

I have several friends and customers who own scopes they made, but they are large heavy and have VERY cluttered recitals so I have no desire to own one. I have shot several rifles wearing them (maybe 12-14) here at my shooting range. They work and seem well made, but just are not the type of tool I want.

I's shot enough of the big fat heavy cluttered ones to make me know I don't want one myself.

If they were to make a simple fixed power set of scopes in 2X 3X or 4x with their SHR I'd have a 2nd look, but everything they make now is a long way from any kind of shooting or hunting I have the slightest interest in.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maven doesn't "make" anything. Like many optics companies these days (and going back to Bushnell shortly after WWII) they contract with an optics manufacturer to make whatever they want and/or design. The companies that do this today are too long to list, but among others they still include Bushnell, along with dozens of others--at least for some of their products. Even some legendary European companies have had stuff made at least partially, and sometimes entirely, by other manufacturers, whether in Europe or Asia. It's truly a world-wide industry--and many of those manufacturers are capable of making optics that beat the hell out of what we could buy 20-30 years ago.

I have only tried one of Maven's binoculars, which was excellent. Would suspect their scopes are too. Whether their scopes agree with somebody's personal tastes is irrelevant, because (surprise!) even in the 21st century most companies try to offer what most customers want. This is a principle generally known as capitalism, which while not perfect (as Winston Churchill pointed out long ago) still beats the hell out of any alternative.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Only experience I have with them was comparing a buddies 11x45 bino to my Meostar 10x42 bino. I believe these were the Meopta B1 version. The 2 of them were very comparable. Based on the short time I had to evaluate them both I would say the Maven edged out the Meopta. I also like the ability to customize the Mavens.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven’t tried their scopes yet. I do have 2 pairs of their binoculars, a B and a C series, and I like them both. I believe the cost versus value for your $ is excellent.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of years ago I was trying to decide what scope I was going to put on a Ruger #1 which is sometimes tricky because of the amount of eye relief needed. I sent Maven an email asking about the RS.1's dimensions to see if I could get a better assessment of how it would fit on my rifle. Mollie in their customer service was kind enough to respond (so they get a thumbs up for that) but she was unwilling to provide me with the information requested. Which I thought was a bit strange since anyone with a tape measure and one of their scopes can produce a schematic of the exterior dimensions like those that are readily provided by Leupold, Schmidt & Bender, etc. So the people there are responsive (up to a point) but I crossed them off my list for reasons that might only be relevant to me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
odonata,

That's just baffling. Customer service is one of the basics for selling stuff, and I can't imagine why they'd want to keep scope dimensions a "secret"--when they're supposedly selling 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Only experience I have with them was comparing a buddies 11x45 bino to my Meostar 10x42 bino. I believe these were the Meopta B1 version. The 2 of them were very comparable. Based on the short time I had to evaluate them both I would say the Maven edged out the Meopta. I also like the ability to customize the Mavens.

My experience is the exact opposite. The Meopta MeoStar B1 plus HD 15x56 and the MeoStar HD 10x42 absolutely crush anything comparable Maven I’ve looked through. I’ve had hunters show up with the Maven 18x56 and after looking through my 15x56 Swarovskis and one of my guides 15x56 Meoptas go home and sell their Mavens

Second, I think the “customization” is why some guys buy them.

I’m not saying they’re trash, I just don’t think they’re as good as Meopta, Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. I think the Meopta 15’s are worth the $400 or so more than the Maven 18’s. Optically, I just don’t think they’re close

I’d still pick a great glasser with less than optimal glass over a guy that’s not a good glasser with high end glass

Had a guide in Mexico last year do great work with his Maven 18’s. We were on the hill one day and we’re all comparing glass and my partner down there looked at me and said “can you imagine what he’s going to find with good glass?”. 😂😂😂😂. My partner gave him his pair of Sawrovski 15’s after the hunts

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's just baffling. Customer service is one of the basics for selling stuff, and I can't imagine why they'd want to keep scope dimensions a "secret"--when they're supposedly selling 'em.

That's exactly what I thought. For me, it was a bit of a head-scratcher. I always try to be solution-oriented so I thanked her for taking the time to reply (below), sent her an example of what I thought would be useful information for future customers & moved on. I don't think I did any good because they still don't post diagrams.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora

My experience is the exact opposite. The Meopta MeoStar B1 plus HD 15x56 and the MeoStar HD 10x42 absolutely crush anything comparable Maven I’ve looked through. I’ve had hunters show up with the Maven 18x56 and after looking through my 15x56 Swarovskis and one of my guides 15x56 Meoptas go home and sell their Mavens

Second, I think the “customization” is why some guys buy them.

I’m not saying they’re trash, I just don’t think they’re as good as Meopta, Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. I think the Meopta 15’s are worth the $400 or so more than the Maven 18’s. Optically, I just don’t think they’re close

I’d still pick a great glasser with less than optimal glass over a guy that’s not a good glasser with high end glass

Had a guide in Mexico last year do great work with his Maven 18’s. We were on the hill one day and we’re all comparing glass and my partner down there looked at me and said “can you imagine what he’s going to find with good glass?”. 😂😂😂😂. My partner gave him his pair of Sawrovski 15’s after the hunts

Do you know what model Maven you were comparing to the Meopta and Swaro?? Maven makes a $575 18x (C.4) and they make a $1,600 18x (B.5). So if you were comparing the $500 18x to the Meopta and Swaro I would expect there to be a noticable difference. I was comparing a Maven B.2 11X45 to a Meopta Meostar B1 10x42. My buddy and I both agreed that the Maven were clearer. This was a short 5 minute comparison standing in the parking lot of his business looking at trees and birds sitting on a cell phone tower.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

J
J
Have the C.1 10x42 Binos and think for the money they are great quality. Would presume their Scopes are of the same value.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can give my opinion. I owned it was a 2-15 ffp. The glass was solid but I felt it a little lacking for 1200.00. Other scopes I paid less for seemed brighter to me but it was good enough. My biggest problem was the reticle it wasn't visible at all until 6-7 power. Kinda think it should have been a 2nd focal plane. I really had a 7-15 usable power range. So I sold it and Purchased another vortex hd lht. For the money I think there are better choices mind you this is just my opinion never even fired the rifle I mounted it on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you know what model Maven you were comparing to the Meopta and Swaro?? Maven makes a $575 18x (C.4) and they make a $1,600 18x (B.5). So if you were comparing the $500 18x to the Meopta and Swaro I would expect there to be a noticable difference. I was comparing a Maven B.2 11X45 to a Meopta Meostar B1 10x42. My buddy and I both agreed that the Maven were clearer. This was a short 5 minute comparison standing in the parking lot of his business looking at trees and birds sitting on a cell phone tower.

It was the $1600 B.5 18x56 vs Meopta and Swarovski 15x equivalents. Also have a hunter with the $1600 B.5 and he sold his as soon as he got home and bought a pair of Swarovski’s. The Mavens I looked though just didn’t compare optically to me and to the owners of the Mavens. It’s why they sold them

If they’re better for you then run them and enjoy them. I just can’t recommend them over the others mentioned

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora

It was the $1600 B.5 18x56 vs Meopta and Swarovski 15x equivalents. Also have a hunter with the $1600 B.5 and he sold his as soon as he got home and bought a pair of Swarovski’s. The Mavens I looked though just didn’t compare optically to me and to the owners of the Mavens. It’s why they sold them

If they’re better for you then run them and enjoy them. I just can’t recommend them over the others mentioned

They're not better for me as I don't own them. I just stated my opinion after a 5 minute comparison. I use a 8x42SLC and have a 10x42 Meostar as a backup.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.