Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by driggy
I have a '21 Limited. Pros and cons.

Pros 4.0 is a bullet proof engine and they have had plenty of time to get any bugs out of the body. Hold their value really well. Very solid vehicle.

Cons MPG, and they are coming out with a new body style so previous body may take a hit in value. Also Toyota usually doesn't have issues with revamps, but if they do, they usually have them in the first or second year. They are popular, so dealing on one usually means paying window price.

Agree.......the 4.0L is a great motor.....have had two in Taco trucks

But for my money the GX 460 would get my vote......up to 2013

Post '13 the grill/nose looks like schidt......powertrain the same

For similar money.....similar MPG even with the GX 4.6L V8

Plus the 6 speed transmission

4Runners are great.......have had 'em too

iffin you wanna look like every other truck headed to Moab in Utah

Pic.......'89 4Runner in the Tetons.......taken in 1990...last of the two doors

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gee who knew this post was coming….even though he asked not to get other suggestions. Lmao

Camp is where you make it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
No I would not buy or trade right now.

I love 4Runners but they are not comparable to a Highlander.

The Highlander is more over the road sedan. The 4Runner is closer to a truck.

Im a 4runner addict, and i agree.......4runners are for folks who want off-roading, one without 4wd makes me scratch my head.

Are you one of those folks?

Highlanders are great otherwise......with better gas mileage.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My sweet wife will fight ya if you try and take her 4Runner away. She’s on her third one. She’s petite and loves that she’s sitting a little higher in traffic and can see what’s going on. Pavement only and she has no issues with the supposedly stiffer ride. She tried a Highlander (rental car on vacation) once and said “never again”.

All three have been excellent rides and very low maintenance. She’s already told me next time, it’ll be another 4Runner.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My boss has a decked out 4-Runner, 2018 or 2019 vintage. His wife has a decked out Highlander of about same age. He said he likes hers better than his for everything, other than when he needs the extra oomph for towing.

I love the looks of 4-Runners, but the rentals I’ve had over the years sure lacked any pep. Spoiled by driving V-8s.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had a 2003 Runner I bought new, put about 200k on it and was best rig I’ve owned, still have a 2004 Sequoia w 170k, runs great, BOTH had the small V8 which is a beast, no idea why they stopped making it. Have a 2021 Taco and find the marriage of the v6 and trans is awful. Drove a v6 Runner in the WV mountains, with 2 adults aboard, moderate cargo load and AC on it could barely make 55mph going uphill w the pedal on the floor.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I find that the newer Highlanders have a transmission that gives much better towing ability. I just may lean towards one of those instead of a 4Runner. I don't need off-road and I really like my current Highlander. But my current 2008 didn't have the factory tow package, so it is limited.

I like the security of an SUV for stuff in the back versus a pickup, and value the comfort level highly.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have an '18 Highlander with the 6. For towing, it has a power mode that changes how the transmission shifts. It drops to lower gears faster and give it more zip. It doesn't help the mileage any, though. The biggest issue with towing is the size of the gas tank. Towing a 3000lb trailer drops the mileage to about 14. With the 19 gal tank, that's about 250 miles. When the gauge says half full, it's considerably less than half. Seems like half the time on a trip is spend calculating where you need to find gas.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's about what I see in my 2008 with the V-6 and 5-speed tranny. With the boat, it drops gears on even the slightest uphill, and then you can watch the gas needle move.

If I decide to upgrade, it'd be to a 4th gen model 2019-2022 3.5L V-6, AWD, and tow package, but not the 2023 which now comes only with a 4-banger turbo. (Damn EPA!)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've looked at 4runners but they kind of seem to be the worst of both worlds, top end cost with low end performance. I have a Ridgeline which is low end performance but I didn't pay very much for it. I know older dudes hate the 4 cyl turbos but I think the 4 runner will benefit from having one.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Where are you, bsa? I'd be half tempted to come look at that one.

He's in West Texas, Odessa I believe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you do a significant amount of off reading or have other vehicles to drive, I would m not advise the 4-Runner as your only vehicle.

I have a TRD-Pro (& a Wrangler) & the 4Runner is a great vehicle, rides decently on the highway if you like firm to stiff & is unsurpassed for some things off road.

The 4L engine is adequate for all my needs, mileage not so great.

I have 2 other vehicles to drive so I'm not locked into the 4-Runner for everything, so it works for me.

The Jeep equally so.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear that. Based on that and other replies, I'm cooling to off on a 4Runner. I drive only about 5,000 miles a year, all highway, mixed city and freeway. Looks like the better gas mileage and much better comfort/trim of the Highlander would suit me best. (That's what I initially thought when I bought this Highlander back in 2012. Seems I was correct all along.)

One bit of concern is that the 2023 model now comes only with a new 4-cyl turbo. Tow rating is still 5,000 lbs with better fuel mileage, but I'm dubious about that. I may wait six months or so to see how new owners react. The tried and true 3.5 V-6 is no longer offered.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Drove a 4Runner for a week last summer and if I'm lucky, never again.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought a new SR5. Timing isn’t great with pricing and rates but I am very anti 4cyl turbo. These things are time proven bulletproof. I would get one now before they let the EPA screw it up.

I think they’re a classic vehicle that you can buy new. That’s just me.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by EdM
Where are you, bsa? I'd be half tempted to come look at that one.

He's in West Texas, Odessa I believe.
No Sir he lives in Nevada. Shoot him a pm if you’re interested.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear that. Based on that and other replies, I'm cooling to off on a 4Runner. I drive only about 5,000 miles a year, all highway, mixed city and freeway. Looks like the better gas mileage and much better comfort/trim of the Highlander would suit me best. (That's what I initially thought when I bought this Highlander back in 2012. Seems I was correct all along.)

One bit of concern is that the 2023 model now comes only with a new 4-cyl turbo. Tow rating is still 5,000 lbs with better fuel mileage, but I'm dubious about that. I may wait six months or so to see how new owners react. The tried and true 3.5 V-6 is no longer offered.

Any current 2023 versions should have non-turbo 6 cylinder, as mine is a 2023.

Not sure when the change changeover date will be but likely January. That Japanese operate on a different model introductory schedule than Detroit does.

MM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.