Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
where the "F" do you find a "GOOD" Ham or Turkey anymore?... not around these parts anyway... and dont tell me about some online gourmet organic schit for $300...

We've got a local farm that sells chickens, turkeys, lamb, pork and beef. They have their own processing facility. Their hams aren't cheap, but they aren't $300. I think they last one we got was $50-60, but this was mid 2020 covid stupidity. Their chickens, turkeys and lamb are great too. Often need to be on a waiting list though. Never bought their beef but I assume it's good too.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ham and turkey is Thanksgiving. Ham and prime rib is Christmas.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Once a year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I smoke bbq a turkey every Thanksgiving and Christmas with all the trimmings. It get the rub at least 24 hrs before it goes in the smoker.

Last edited by boatammo; 09/13/23.

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever happened to eating goose on Christmas?

Not one mentioned it as far as I know.

And I'm speaking of a nice farm raised one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Both. Wife likes ham, I like turkey. Kids are the same way some ham, some turkey.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Whatever happened to eating goose on Christmas?

Not one mentioned it as far as I know.

And I'm speaking of a nice farm raised one.
Done right, tame goose is awesome. I like tame duck too but both of those are expensive.

Last edited by 19352012; 09/13/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're giving me ideas.

If we had more water around I might just have to raise a goose or some ducks. Guess I could put up a pen and use a 250 gal stock tank that's sitting here unused, bury it to the rim and give them a place to play.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Ham.

Never pass up pork for a bird.

Ever

# 1

And not that spiral cut schidt. REAL ham.
How is spiral sliced not a real ham??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
Ham.

Ever

# 1

fuggin a
I hate spiral sliced too. I'll buy a ham and eat nothing but ham and ham vegetables until it's gone. My wife wonders what's wrong with me. I tell her not a darn thing. I take the juice from the ham and boil vegetables in it. Cabbage is my favorite but also potatoes and carrots. I might go ham shopping this weekend.
We eat most of the spiral sliced ham then take the bone and make ham and beans. Most of all of it is gone by the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just bought this: Hope its good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ham.

Ever

# 1

Pard.

I am feeling a little anger.

Let’s all be pards and share whatever ham our pards may enjoy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lol!!!

Love to hear the story from Slumlord about the fuuked up Ham his BIL Landon brought to a holiday dinner one time.
All fuuked up looking and shaped in aluminum foil.
Then the big reveal when unwrapped in front of everyone.

Hearing Slumlord describe it and how it all went down...

Priceless....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited by renegade50; 09/14/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Ham.

Ever

# 1

Here.

I didn't even google this or anything, hardly. whistle

To the uninitiated, ham is ham. It's pink and salty, usually with sweet and smoky overtones as well, and it goes well with just about any side dishes you care to name. A closer look shows that this is a remarkable simplification. There are hundreds of kinds of city hams, country hams, spiral-cut hams and imported dry hams, all with their own distinct characteristics. Spiral-cut hams are among the easiest to understand, being just a city ham that's pre-sliced for convenience.

The Fundamentals of Ham
At bottom, ham is the cured hind leg of a hog. Hams sold in the United States are most often cured in a wet brine of salt, sugar and spices, and are sometimes referred to as "city hams." They're usually sold cooked and ready to eat. Country hams are cured in a dry salt mixture, then hung to air-dry in a carefully controlled setting. This gives them a dense texture and concentrated flavor, much like imported dry hams such as prosciutto and jamon serrano. They're sold raw and can be shaved thinly like prosciutto or cooked. They must be soaked and simmered long enough to remove the excess salt before they're cooked.

City Ham vs. Spiral-Cut
City hams are sold in several versions, all of which have their merits. Full hams are available, but at an average of 15 pounds they're too large for the typical modern family. They're usually cut into a butt and a shank portion, with the butt yielding larger slices but the shank having denser, more flavorful meat. Some are boneless, while others retain their bones. Spiral-cut hams are made at the processing plant by slicing a bone-in city ham in one continuous spiral, leaving the meat on the bone in its original shape. Rather than carving the ham by hand, the cook must only cut the meat from the bone to have perfect, consistent slices.

Choosing Your Ham
Spiral-cut hams vary widely in quality. Often hams from small, regional producers are superior to their mass-market counterparts. Asking your butcher for advice can be helpful, as can checking the ham's label, which often contains useful information. Hams that are naturally smoked have better flavor than those with smoke flavor added. Checking the ham's water content is important; the best hams contain no added water, and their labels simply describe them as "ham." "Ham with natural juices" is the next-highest grade; a spiral-cut ham labeled as "ham and water" is usually inferior in flavor and texture.

Preparing a Spiral Cut Ham
Spiral-cut hams are fully cooked, so they only require reheating before they're served. You can cut the slices away for sandwiches or breakfast ham or bake the entire ham for a festive meal. If you're preparing the whole ham, it's best to bake it at temperatures of 300 degrees Fahrenheit or lower to keep it from drying out. Bake it in a covered pan or a roasting bag to help retain moisture. If you prefer your hams glazed, uncover the ham or cut open the bag for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Turn your oven up to 425 F while you're glazing the ham, then return the ham to the oven until the glaze is caramelized.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Ham.

Ever

# 1

Pard.

I am feeling a little anger.

Let’s all be pards and share whatever ham our pards may enjoy.

Pard.

No anger here pard. I just don't care for brokedick hams, pard.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Turkey for sure. Ham is reserved for Easter dinner.
We've traditionally had leg of lamb for Easter. I guess it's in recognition of Jesus being the lamb of God.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Once a year.
Damn! That looks great.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Turkey for Thanksgiving, ham or Prime Rib roast for Christmas

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ham.

Ever

# 1

Here.

To the uninitiated, ham is ham. It's pink and salty, usually with sweet and smoky overtones as well, and it goes well with just about any side dishes you care to name. A closer look shows that this is a remarkable simplification. There are hundreds of kinds of city hams, country hams, spiral-cut hams and imported dry hams, all with their own distinct characteristics. Spiral-cut hams are among the easiest to understand, being just a city ham that's pre-sliced for convenience.

The Fundamentals of Ham
At bottom, ham is the cured hind leg of a hog. Hams sold in the United States are most often cured in a wet brine of salt, sugar and spices, and are sometimes referred to as "city hams." They're usually sold cooked and ready to eat. Country hams are cured in a dry salt mixture, then hung to air-dry in a carefully controlled setting. This gives them a dense texture and concentrated flavor, much like imported dry hams such as prosciutto and jamon serrano. They're sold raw and can be shaved thinly like prosciutto or cooked. They must be soaked and simmered long enough to remove the excess salt before they're cooked.

City Ham vs. Spiral-Cut
City hams are sold in several versions, all of which have their merits. Full hams are available, but at an average of 15 pounds they're too large for the typical modern family. They're usually cut into a butt and a shank portion, with the butt yielding larger slices but the shank having denser, more flavorful meat. Some are boneless, while others retain their bones. Spiral-cut hams are made at the processing plant by slicing a bone-in city ham in one continuous spiral, leaving the meat on the bone in its original shape. Rather than carving the ham by hand, the cook must only cut the meat from the bone to have perfect, consistent slices.

Choosing Your Ham
Spiral-cut hams vary widely in quality. Often hams from small, regional producers are superior to their mass-market counterparts. Asking your butcher for advice can be helpful, as can checking the ham's label, which often contains useful information. Hams that are naturally smoked have better flavor than those with smoke flavor added. Checking the ham's water content is important; the best hams contain no added water, and their labels simply describe them as "ham." "Ham with natural juices" is the next-highest grade; a spiral-cut ham labeled as "ham and water" is usually inferior in flavor and texture.

Spiral-cut hams are fully cooked, so they only require reheating before they're served. You can cut the slices away for sandwiches or breakfast ham or bake the entire ham for a festive meal. If you're preparing the whole ham, it's best to bake it at temperatures of 300 degrees Fahrenheit or lower to keep it from drying out. Bake it in a covered pan or a roasting bag to help retain moisture. If you prefer your hams glazed, uncover the ham or cut open the bag for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Turn your oven up to 425 F while you're glazing the ham, then return the ham to the oven until the glaze is caramelized.

Excellent Pardnership there for the uninitiated in hamology.

It was missing the part about once being spiral sliced it is no longer real ham.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Ham.

Ever

# 1

Here.

The Fundamentals of Ham

City Ham vs. Spiral-Cut

Choosing Your Ham

Excellent Pardnership there for the uninitiated in hamology.

It was missing the part about once being spiral sliced it is no longer real ham.
So the cut can't be spiral?

Which direction should the cut be to keep it a "real" ham?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.