Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My, new to me, camp trailer has two 12 volt batteries wired negative to negative and positive to positive. I want to store the trailer over the winter and maintain the batteries in good shape for spring use. A couple questions. First, is there any need to disconnect the batteries from the trailer? I have turned the PERKO switch to off. Second, if I can leave the batteries wired as is what kind of battery maintainer do I need to hook up and to what terminals do I hook it?

Rolly

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm fairly certain that's a parallel connection which will keep it 12 volts but double the amperage. You should be able to use a regular trickle charger for 12 volt batteries. If it has a master disconnect, that's sufficient to isolate the batteries.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Disconnect em.
Put em in the Garage on couple layers of cardboard.
Hit em with a trickle charger every so often.
Any auto parts store sells trickle chargers or even harbor freight.

Bout it..

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why do they have to be dismounted and disconnected? Won’t one trickle charger keep them both up to charge if they remain connected?

Last edited by Rolly; 09/13/23.

Rolly
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weather? If battery freezes no bueno? In a garage less likely?

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With the master switch turned off there is no need to disconnect.
With your somewhat mild climate there is no need to remove them. Charged batteries will not freeze in our usual winter weather.
Batteries discharge at a slower rate when cool so actually a charge every month or two would be ok.
But the best would be an AUTOMATIC maintainer, and you could hook it up to just one battery, but I would do the + on one and the - on the other.
Check the water level also if they are the flooded type and you should be GTG.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
On our little class c motor home….. I have the 12 volt master switch in the off position…..and keep a battery tender connected to the batteries 24/7/365

On our 5th wheel, it has a high dollar “float type” charge controller…..the 5th wheel is plugged into power at all time…..entire system energized! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Battery Tender and be done with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rolly
Why do they have to be dismounted and disconnected? Won’t one trickle charger keep them both up to charge if they remain connected?

Yes, but best practice is to "divorce" batteries and maintain separately.
You can do as asked, but 1 battery can pull down another, or give inaccurate readings.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No need to remove them. A fully charged battery, and especially one on a charger will not freeze.
ETA: fully charged freezes @ -92* F
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
With the master switch turned off there is no need to disconnect.
With your somewhat mild climate there is no need to remove them. Charged batteries will not freeze in our usual winter weather.
Batteries discharge at a slower rate when cool so actually a charge every month or two would be ok.
But the best would be an AUTOMATIC maintainer, and you could hook it up to just one battery, but I would do the + on one and the - on the other.
Check the water level also if they are the flooded type and you should be GTG.

This.

Last edited by ironbender; 09/13/23.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Two lead acid batteries in parallel can be bad ju-ju. LiFePO4 batteries usually have an internal BMS that makes the practice much safer.

Over a long period, a simple float charger can destroy a lead acid battery by electrolyzing away too much water. Be sure to get one that knows when to quit.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lithium batteries are a whole different matter. If they're in good shape, they'll hold nearly a full charge for most of the winter. Just check them every so often. If they do need recharging, they can't be charged below freezing. They have to be warmed up first. In cold climates, they're better stored inside just so they can be topped up if necessary. All of the better ones have a BMS (battery maintenance system) built in that prevents them from charging when it's too cold. If it doesn't have a BMS and you try to charge it in the cold, it will be seriously damaged.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Disconnect em.

Bout it..

This is the way I do it but I'm in Alaska.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by renegade50
Disconnect em.

Bout it..

Curious as to what the cardboard is for?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

Yes, but best practice is to "divorce" batteries and maintain separately.
You can do as asked, but 1 battery can pull down another, or give inaccurate readings.

So one cell in a 12 volt battery can pull down another?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by memtb
On our little class c motor home….. I have the 12 volt master switch in the off position…..and keep a battery tender connected to the batteries 24/7/365

On our 5th wheel, it has a high dollar “float type” charge controller…..the 5th wheel is plugged into power at all time…..entire system energized! memtb

Sounds like a water cooker...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I just keep the trailer plugged into 110. It will maintain the batteries.

My boat is a different story. It has one AGM deep cycle and a typical wet cell automotive battery. I put a charger on each every couple months.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like to disconnect and store with trickle charger. Make sure you organize your wiring, zip tie it, and take pictures. Pretty easy to forget a wire or second guess yourself on what battery a wire goes to if you have multiple wires to each battery.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by denton
Two lead acid batteries in parallel can be bad ju-ju. LiFePO4 batteries usually have an internal BMS that makes the practice much safer.

Over a long period, a simple float charger can destroy a lead acid battery by electrolyzing away too much water. Be sure to get one that knows when to quit.

They make ones that know when to quit? Like the "automatic" one above?

Seriously, if you're dealing with wet, lead acid batteries, charge them until each cell is 1275-1300 on a hydrometer (be sure the plates are covered by liquid before charging) and it will store for three months or more below freezing since as storage temperatures below 50 degrees allows for almost nil charge loss on a fully charged battery.

Don't trust the charger, don't trust a voltmeter, test the chemical; its how a battery works. The greatest, most expensive chargers in the world will still operate by byproduct: open current voltage.

Even an automatic or maintainer will use liquid. The charger, whether automatic, super expensive or super cheap, once the plates are unsubmerged, will charge the battery more often and use more liquid. Some will not charge beyond the initial charge, which almost never brings the specific gravity to the point to where it won't freeze below zero.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I just keep the trailer plugged into 110. It will maintain the batteries.

It won't keep them from overcharging.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 15 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,537
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.