-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the past 25 years I have owned 20+ Leupolds and only ever had one warranty job. The front lens became a bit loose in an M8 6x36 and could move around half a millimetre. It was sent back to the Australian warranty center and came back looking like new with a re-gas. The last two were the easiest scopes to sight in ever with very exact scope adjustments. They were a VX3i 2.5-8x36 and a FXII 6x36. So less than 5% failure rate.

I have sighted in two Swarovski Z3s over the past couple of years. One was great the other not so good as the POI wouldn't move for a shot or two and then move double the distance. Once sighted in it hasn't moved POI. So 50% failure on the adjustments I guess you could say.

One Meopta 6x42 that was a bugger with sticking adjustments with similar issues to the Swaro above. So 100% failure.

And one Weaver 6x38 that was pretty good.

So the Leupolds are looking very good compared to the Swarovski and Meopta scopes.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
It has been about 5 weeks since I sent my scope back to Leupold, so I called them today.....
They told me it will be about another month before they get to my scope....
CS has gone downhill since I dealt with them in the past

Hunting seasons and Holidays perhaps slowing things down?

Then again, since so many write their older scopes were better 😂….perhaps repair times have been extended on their newer items.

Out of maybe 15-20 Chevy’s and hundreds of thousands of miles, one finally blew an alternator and almost ruined a lifetime hunt. Damn Chevys!!!! Yet they never failed to bring me home. Can’t say the same for a Ford or a Volkswagen. Couldn’t give me a Ford, because of that. Have to honest, there were a couple Toyotas in the mix that did well.

Anyway, bought another Chevy on the run and the hunt was saved. Baseball, hotdogs, Leupold and Chevrolet!!!!

Don’t ever trust your hunt of a lifetime to a Ford. Two Pards on two different Grouse trips had their Eccoboost STB. Just remembered…it was the second time for the one Pard.

Addition: Id rather take Somali Air to the hunt of
a lifetime, than trust a Ford to get me there.

Last edited by battue; 12/22/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I got my scope back yesterday from Leupold, was sitting on my porch when I got home. was surprised since there had been Zero communication from Leupold since I had sent it in about 6 weeks ago.
They included a repair service report:
When received total failure of elevation and windage......
before shipping back, 55MOA of elevation adjustment and 55MOA of windage adjustment
They replaced every item except the glass and main tube, cant wait to see if it works

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just sighted in 2 vx3is

Same deal as always....adjust scope, shoot, shoot again to see where it moved to after the first shot, rinse, repeat until it's sighted in where I want it.

Leaupi 2 step...

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Every brand manufactured has failed ..some have terrible warranties but Leupold will always make it.right

Hammer down!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tommy_guns
Every brand manufactured has failed...
Some more than others.

Specific brands aside, the underlying failure rates are not equal between all products, so it makes sense to try and select those with lower rates of failure if you want a more dependable product.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to say, but I’ve never had a Leupold fail in 40 years, but I don’t twist the knobs. I zero them and then leave them alone.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Completely unbelieveable, I have had 2 back to back hunts with a complete Leupold failure. this thread started last November with a failure on my deer hunt and the second yesterday on an antelope hunt in Wyoming, was luckier yesterday as I had my backup rifle only 5 minutes away.........40years of trust in a brand is completely gone and I'm looking for something far more reliable

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you describe how the scope failed? Did the reticle break? Water/fog damage? POI changed? What was it?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing is warmer/fuzzier than rugged reliability. Hint.

No Manufacturer obliviously quantifies same,better than Reupold. Hint.............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by selmer
Can you describe how the scope failed? Did the reticle break? Water/fog damage? POI changed? What was it?
On September 3rd I went out to shoot the gong at different distances to make sure my gun was dialed in and that my drop chart was correct. One of the ranges I shot at was 450 yards my rifle shot a 2"group dead center. scope was a Leupold 4.5X14 with 30mm tube and side focus.
Seven days later my hunt started and my rifle had been either in the cab of my truck or on my shoulder. my son spotted a nice buck so I figured that would be the one (was not in a trophy area and have other hunts coming up).
Both me and my son ranged it at 450 yards, I dialed in exactly as 7 days earlier.........first shot 20 feet high, second shot 10 feet left, third shot 10 feet high, fourth shot 10 feet right, my son busted out in laughter "Dad your scope schit the bed just like last year".
Luckily I was close to my truck so I went and got my backup rifle that btw has exactly the same scope........1 shot done

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
20H-10L-10H-10R...back to the truck and one a done. You sure it wasn't dead before the last shot? laugh

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rate of return is all relative. Consider the amount produced/sold per company per year. Then consider the number of failures/returns.

However, these things must also be factored in:

Does the company have an absolute no questions warranty, that even covers abuse or accidents?
If you call the company and explain the problem, will they deny a repair or replacement for any reason, or require a repair fee?
How long has the company been in business?
Are they still covering scopes built in the 1950s and all scopes until the present day? How long has the company even been around?
Does the company offer domestic repairs/replacements without sending overseas or waiting for a shipment of new product to arrive from overseas?

Zeiss optics fail
Leupold optics fail
SWFA optics fail
Arken optics fail
Swarovski optics fail
Nightforce optics fail
Tasco optics fail
Burris optics fail
Trijicon optics fail
Schmidt & Bender optics fail

It is a mechanical man made piece of equipment. It is expected to endure every possible handling condition, every possible weather condition, every possible mounting condition, every possible operator, every possible accident, every possible type of negligent abuse.
It will fail.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by KenMi
Rate of return is all relative. Consider the amount produced/sold per company per year. Then consider the number of failures/returns.

However, these things must also be factored in:

Does the company have an absolute no questions warranty, that even covers abuse or accidents?
If you call the company and explain the problem, will they deny a repair or replacement for any reason, or require a repair fee?
How long has the company been in business?
Are they still covering scopes built in the 1950s and all scopes until the present day? How long has the company even been around?
Does the company offer domestic repairs/replacements without sending overseas or waiting for a shipment of new product to arrive from overseas?

Zeiss optics fail
Leupold optics fail
SWFA optics fail
Arken optics fail
Swarovski optics fail
Nightforce optics fail
Tasco optics fail
Burris optics fail
Trijicon optics fail
Schmidt & Bender optics fail

It is a mechanical man made piece of equipment. It is expected to endure every possible handling condition, every possible weather condition, every possible mounting condition, every possible operator, every possible accident, every possible type of negligent abuse.
It will fail.

Truth right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perspective on QA & failure rate for those that think that the OP's 1 out of 20 isn't too bad.

O'Hara airport lands around 5000 planes a day.
If 5% hit short on the runway (failure rate) & crash, that's 250 crashed planes a day.

Is that acceptable to anyone here?

I don't think that's an acceptable failure rate for scopes or most anything else either, given lots of hype about ruggedness & reliability.

Yes, anything mechanical or human controlled can fail but anything that matters, that number has to be extremely small.

That's why most QA systems today, require CpK conformability of 1.67 - 2.67.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've "only" got/shot 100's of scopes. Perspective never ain't not interesting. Hint.

Flipside. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some and the simplistic FACT that not all wares are "equal",nor even close. Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
T
Promotional posts are reserved for paying advertisers only. If you have any questions, or would like an ad rate sheet, please reply to this message, or email advertising24hourcampfire.com.

Thank you for your professional courtesy.

Last edited by RickBin; 09/14/23. Reason: Promotional post
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
now you'd think a guy with three that I can think of specifically Leupold 6 - 18 x 40 vxII scopes that are on silhouette guns that are getting twisted all the time every weekend for like 8 months of the year. one of these should have broken by now... I guess I should head to Vegas for the winter with that kind of luck huh..

Last edited by ldholton; 09/14/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by dznnf7
I out of 20. 5% failure rate. Sounds about Leupold.

Your math is a bit skewed. It was 40 years with 20 scopes and 1 failure. That isn’t even significant enough to draw any conclusions…
It's an outlier.

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.