Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Perspective on QA & failure rate for those that think that the OP's 1 out of 20 isn't too bad.

O'Hara airport lands around 5000 planes a day.
If 5% hit short on the runway (failure rate) & crash, that's 250 crashed planes a day.

Is that acceptable to anyone here?

I don't think that's an acceptable failure rate for scopes or most anything else either, given lots of hype about ruggedness & reliability.

Yes, anything mechanical or human controlled can fail but anything that matters, that number has to be extremely small.

That's why most QA systems today, require CpK conformability of 1.67 - 2.67.

MM
It's not 1 out of 20. It's 1 aircraft out of 20 crashing once after all 20 have been flying for 40 years. That decreases the 5% significantly. Comparing an aircraft crash to a scope failure is a little wonky.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by dznnf7
I out of 20. 5% failure rate. Sounds about Leupold.

Your math is a bit skewed. It was 40 years with 20 scopes and 1 failure. That isn’t even significant enough to draw any conclusions…
It's an outlier.
On what data are you basing this statement?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Perspective on QA & failure rate for those that think that the OP's 1 out of 20 isn't too bad.

O'Hara airport lands around 5000 planes a day.
If 5% hit short on the runway (failure rate) & crash, that's 250 crashed planes a day.

Is that acceptable to anyone here?

I don't think that's an acceptable failure rate for scopes or most anything else either, given lots of hype about ruggedness & reliability.

Yes, anything mechanical or human controlled can fail but anything that matters, that number has to be extremely small.

That's why most QA systems today, require CpK conformability of 1.67 - 2.67.

MM
It's not 1 out of 20. It's 1 aircraft out of 20 crashing once after all 20 have been flying for 40 years. That decreases the 5% significantly. Comparing an aircraft crash to a scope failure is a little wonky.

No not really.

Those scopes were obviously used sparingly over that time.

Facts remain the same, 5% failure rate for the OP.

For others it may be less, for others, maybe more.

But to your point, 5% of planes over 40 years being defective enough to crash surely wouldn't be acceptable either, would it?

Leopold used to be pretty good before lots of dialing became normal. But Leupold just has not seen fit to bring their mechanical innards up the the level of numerous others today.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They never were. I remember someone saying the engineers in El Paso could fiquire out tracking unlike the ones in Beaverton.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
now you'd think a guy with three that I can think of specifically Leupold 6 - 18 x 40 vxII scopes that are on silhouette guns that are getting twisted all the time every weekend for like 8 months of the year. one of these should have broken by now... I guess I should head to Vegas for the winter with that kind of luck huh..

The 6-18x is the biggest piece of fhuqking schit,they've ever made in 1". The multi joint body and length,make them Goat Fhuqks. They can't even begin to handle being flogged upon. Hint.

Sillywet come-ups are next to nothing and hardly a fhuqking "test" of erector aptitude. Hint...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by ldholton
now you'd think a guy with three that I can think of specifically Leupold 6 - 18 x 40 vxII scopes that are on silhouette guns that are getting twisted all the time every weekend for like 8 months of the year. one of these should have broken by now... I guess I should head to Vegas for the winter with that kind of luck huh..

The 6-18x is the biggest piece of fhuqking schit,they've ever made in 1". The multi joint body and length,make them Goat Fhuqks. They can't even begin to handle being flogged upon. Hint.

Sillywet come-ups are next to nothing and hardly a fhuqking "test" of erector aptitude. Hint...........................

I've got an Arken epl 4-16x44 coming , maybe I'll learn what a good scope is ??

Last edited by ldholton; 09/14/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I kicked Leupold to the curb around 1998. Swarovski & Nightforce for me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most of the cranks here have no grasp of MTBF. Everything breaks sooner or later.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The NTSB should send out an investigation team to the site of every Leupold failure to reduce the odds of a hunt going bad.

The horror!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ARKEN gets it right,because they focus upon that which matters MOST. Pun be intended. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

An ARKEN reticle alone,will do more than (2) Reupold 6-18's bolted together. The Reupold '18x has but 50-ish MOA on the turret,which pales and wanders like a Mad Woman going to take a fhuqking schit. Hint.

While I only have (15) or so Barkin' ARKEN's,they are mechanically fhuqking EXCEPTIONAL. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
The NTSB should send out an investigation team to the site of every Leupold failure to reduce the odds of a hunt going bad.

The horror!

Well, Deny'ers gonna Deny, but of all the major brand scope ever discussed on this forum, Leopold by an order of magnitude gets the most recognition for failures............nothing else is within a distant mile.

But rock on Leupold fans. And I'm not a Hater, still got several & will use them 'til they crash but they don't get used anymore for anything that matters.

MM

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

The horror!

Well, Deny'ers gonna Deny, but of all the major brand scope ever discussed on this forum, Leopold by an order of magnitude gets the most recognition for failures............nothing else is within a distant mile.

But rock on Leupold fans. And I'm not a Hater, still got several & will use them 'til they crash but they don't get used anymore for anything that matters.

MM

Well, they are the most produced, most sold and most used brand in the US as well, so their is that minor detail to factor in the equation as well

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The horror!

MM

Back in the 70's when I was first introduced to Leupold, they were the top of the heap. I never had a single issue with one, ever, and I had several of them. I can't pinpoint a date, but at some point, I had one of them malfunction. It was my oldest original scope I purchased in 77 on my first ever rifle. I sent it in, they repaired it, returned it & it only lasted one more hunt beyond that and broke again. I then began to hear other stories of the decline & dissatisfaction of their service department. A wise man learns by other's mistakes, a fool by his own. That was 1990 something and I moved on, never to go back.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody that shoots even a smidge,trusts or uses Reupold. They are the staple of The Do NOTHING Gang and their Couchbound Kchunts. Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody that shoots even a smidge,trusts or uses Reupold. They are the staple of The Do NOTHING Gang and their Couchbound Kchunts. Hint.................

You should go show them how it's done.

Leupold #1 scope used in PRS by top shooters

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ARKEN gets it right,because they focus upon that which matters MOST. Pun be intended. Hint.

An ARKEN reticle alone,will do more than (2) Reupold 6-18's bolted together. The Reupold '18x has but 50-ish MOA on the turret,which pales and wanders like a Mad Woman going to take a fhuqking schit. Hint.

While I only have (15) or so Barkin' ARKEN's,they are mechanically fhuqking EXCEPTIONAL. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.......................

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I wonder why they're not on that list???

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi

The horror!

MM

Well, they are the most produced, most sold and most used brand in the US as well, so their is that minor detail to factor in the equation as well

No, not even close to most sold, used brand in the US. They lost that title quite a few years ago. Vortex is by far the largest by any and every measure.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Still use several 1" VX2s, 3s, M8s. But not buying more. Partly b/c the world has gone away from 1", and the 30mm Leups are too much money for too little scope. Certainly so, vs Arkens and SWFAs.

Get the all devices can fail argument. Combines well with the more failures in the more sold point.

Then, had two Leups fail and am still waiting for the first Arken or SWFA failure.

The more compelling factor is mechanical reliability. I learned not to trust zero with the Leups till verified on a separate range trip. And always did as Leup suggested - rapping the rings after every adjustment. Amazed at my own gullibility on that one....... The lack of reliability connects with durability. At least in my head. And the last thing I need is doubt.

Will keep using them, like MM. Out back. Not likely going on any expensive trips via airports rest of the way.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by KenMi

The horror!

MM

No, not even close to most sold, used brand in the US. They lost that title quite a few years ago. Vortex is by far the largest by any and every measure.
of all those Vortex sold it would be interesting to know what percentage of China what percentage or Philippines and what percentage for US made

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.