Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The Flash, all 13 years and 5 months of him, was diagnosed with a CCL tear today. Pondering the path forward for him. I guess him being in pain isn't an option for me, and I can afford to have him fixed. But I'm wondering if anyone has had a dog use a brace instead and had a good outcome/quality of life. He needs to get around the yard is about all, his hunting days are over unless we spring him to find a downed bird. I'm not looking for miracles but not convinced that surgery is his best option either. Thoughts welcomed.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, a hunting dog of that age, is not the best candidate for surgery (particularly the anesthesia) as you’ll note in this link. However, (more) arthritis in that joint is likely the next thing to occur.

With no more hunting demands, I would seek another option for that great companion.

https://caninearthritis.org/article/ccl-non-surgical/

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One persons experience....

A hard running Springer tore his up at around 8YO. Just started limping and then after a while it went away and I didn't pay much more attention to it. He didn't slow down, still hunted hard and didn't seem to complain. Then one day I noticed the joint was bigger and harder. Vet said, can't do anything now. He hunted up till 13YO, and only slowed his pace. When he hit scent, it was close to the same old hard charge.

He didn't lay around licking it, didn't moan about the pain. It may have hurt bad, but it wasn't easily obvious.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen dogs crated up for weeks with pins and rods on their back legs and younger dogs that limp for a while and get over it by themselves.

A dog's age and physical condition plays a large part in how the condition is treated.

At thirteen years, it's not going to fix itself like it could on a younger dog.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks the vet is a nice young lady and she's going to call with options for him today probably. I don't think he's in alot of pain at all, and he's on prednisone for his bronchial hardening. He can handle surgery, his health is excellent.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it would be better to put him on Tramidol every day for the pain if there is any, and let him finish out his life.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 260madman, 46 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,600
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.