Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody use one long term? Thoughts/comments? Reliably concentric (ie: precise alignment), and concentricity maintained over long/hard use?

I'm in the mood for a new press. Have always admired the old Hollywood Sr. press but not the high cost of acquiring one. The Summit intrigues me, or would I better off with a Forster Co-Ax. Extreme leverage for resizing not required - full length '06 is the worst i ever do anymore. I kind of like the idea of the Summit doing double duty as an arbor press too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The summit seems to be impressive from the massive ram, but doesn't impress me. Use the right case lube and FL sizing won't be a problem. I use Hornady unique or Lanolin and alcohol.

I bought a Frankford Arsenal coax press. I couldn't justify Forster. The Frankford only has two draw backs... die blocks and the shell holder. Use only you fingers to change the size of the shell holders not an open end wrench. Again use the right case lube and the press works fine. Concentricity wise with a Lee collet die too is less than .001. Don't use cheap dies otherwise you'll blame the press instead of the dies.

Last edited by anothergun; 09/11/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never used a Summit, but I have had a Forster CoAx for almost 20 years now and man, it is a pleasure to use. I use it to load 222 to 50-90. Only thing I have ever done is add the linkages that allow better access to the front of the press. They weren't needed, but I do like it a bit more since I have larger than normal mitts.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i find the Summit press interesting as well... but i know you wont be disappointed with the Forster Co-ax... been using a Bonanza/Forster Co-ax since the 70's...

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The Summit has a couple of after market parts that make it better when it comes to consistency. The linkage it uses has a little play and can effect shoulder bump, etc. (If that's a concern to you)

The Co-Ax (stick with the stock linkage, the new curved linkage is causing some problems for people), will make you a happy reloader. I love the consistency, but I REALLY like how easy it is to change dies.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Torque
The Summit has a couple of after market parts that make it better when it comes to consistency. The linkage it uses has a little play and can effect shoulder bump, etc. (If that's a concern to you)

The Co-Ax (stick with the stock linkage, the new curved linkage is causing some problems for people), will make you a happy reloader. I love the consistency, but I REALLY like how easy it is to change dies.

What problems are the curved linkages giving folks. I’ve only used it to load some 6.5 CM and 7 Rem but didn’t note anything of a problem.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Torque

What problems are the curved linkages giving folks. I’ve only used it to load some 6.5 CM and 7 Rem but didn’t note anything of a problem.

The stops on the new linkages are round and stop against the handle. The shape of the stop isn't providing enough of a positive stop. I have them and instead of a hard stop the original linkages have, it felt mushy at the end of the stroke. The new stops have worn through the powder coating on the press, which I had hoped would stop some of the play. Using the same dies, I am getting +-.004 differences in shoulder bump now. I was getting a very consistent bump previously.
I spoke with Forster about them yesterday and they are aware some users are having a problem. They are considering several solutions. The ones I discussed with them were lengthening the stops and using a flat faced stop that comes into contact with the handle flush instead of a round surface and possibly thickening the linkages (which would require new linkage pins).

Edit: Forster's suggestion to me until they had the problem solved was to use one curved link for side access and one straight link.

Last edited by Torque; 09/13/23.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gotcha, planning to load a little this weekend so resizing is in the mix so I will give them a full work out. I still have my old linkages of course, so it's no biggy to switch back if I have to.

Thanks for the heads up.

Semper Fi
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Food for thought. I was leaning toward the Summit because of accessories that allow its use as an arbor press too - I do a bit of loading with old Wilson straightline dies and it gets to be a minor PIA lifting my large-ish 30 pound arbor press onto the bench and anchoring it (small bench, can't leave everything set up permanently). The solution is either a smaller arbor press or a "regular" press that'll remain in position and do double duty for that specific operation. It'll be problematic enough keeping my old O-frame press in situ also to provide "rough service" for non-critical chores.

If I re-think my requirements and nix the arbor press idea then I'll probably go with the Co-Ax. I've been kinda lusting for one for decades anyway. And no, the obvious solution isn't "one of each", just not practical for me!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
J
I've had the co-ax years ago. I wanted to scale down on presses, so it was one of them that went down the road. I still try to figure it that was a mistake or not. It has alot of good things going for it. I've had a Summit for awhile. It also has good things about it. I will never be my only press. It is limited on what it can do, because of its design. Some of that also carries to the co-ax. But I think I would lean toward the co-ax if deciding between the two. I picked up the summit dirt cheap because the guy that owned it also wanted to be able to be able to do more operations on a press. As much as I liked the co-ax, and I like the summit, I wouldn't buy either again. Not even as a second press

Last edited by jban357; 09/14/23.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
friend of mine has one so far so good. I told him I hope it does good for him but I have seen lots of pictures of broken ones on the internet. but yeah somebody good with the internet one item can look like it's been several different people.. I'm sure if it did happen to break RCBS would take care of a person

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jban357
I've had the co-ax years ago. I wanted to scale down on presses, so it was one of them that went down the road. I still try to figure it that was a mistake or not. It has alot of good things going for it. I've had a Summit for awhile. It also has good things about it. I will never be my only press. It is limited on what it can do, because of its design. Some of that also carries to the co-ax. But I think I would lean toward the co-ax if deciding between the two. I picked up the summit dirt cheap because the guy that owned it also wanted to be able to be able to do more operations on a press. As much as I liked the co-ax, and I like the summit, I wouldn't buy either again. Not even as a second press

Single stage for causal plinking, turret for more than casual, coax for more accurate ammo, although some turrets will crank out more accurate ammo faster. Redding T7 is bit too expensive for me , Lyman All American which l have, but never checked for conentricity. My 45 year old Rock Chucker with very little use from what l see, is smooth as butter. My Lee Classic is ok. It didn’t hold up to swaging primer pockets, or pulling bullets at times. The casting bore wore out. The Lyman is built well, very solid. Take some time and see what your needs are before buying anything that will be a mistake and collect dust. Even with the advice people give.

Last edited by anothergun; 09/14/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve been using my Summit for several years. 10+ maybe? Not sure. Anyway, no real complaints. I bought it because it had no linkage below surface of the bench. My bench has drawers immediately below and the linkage would interfere.

I have had no struggle getting concentric loads. Sized brass runout is rarely over 0.001” and loaded ammo typically under 0.003”. I recently changed to the aforementioned aftermarket pin. It seems to have eliminated some play, but haven’t loaded much ammo since installing so too early to tell.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've had a Summit for 4ish years it makes great straight ammo is smooth operating.
I don't have a lot of experience with lots of presses to compare, my first was a Lee Cast C Press. Then a Lee Turret 4 die. The Lee's always did pretty good but the Summit seems like a Cadillac to me.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 1eyedmule, 72 invisible), 3,450 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,423
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.