Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was fortunate and won an auction for this early model Single Six (68-28XXX range) that was advertised with imitation Stag grips. Picked it up yesterday and was very happy, finish was much better than original photos showed.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And I immediately suspected that the Stag grips were in fact real!

Closer inspection confirmed my suspicions, Sambar Stag grips from Ajax Grips, model 31's!

A trip to the range left me very happy with it's performance! Plan on keeping this one (has a little longer barrel than my newer model) and my son can have the newer model.

Great deals can be had if you take the time to find them....

Frog----OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Excellent score!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Folks are so used to seeing plastic trash, they at times miss the real good stuff.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You done good.

Like it.

DF

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Nice looking gun. Over the years 45+ I have had both good and not so good Single 6s. I have always liked the stuff from Bill's era, the stuff lately, not so much.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if you bought that expecting imitation grips, I bet you are really happy!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
Nice looking gun. Over the years 45+ I have had both good and not so good Single 6s. I have always liked the stuff from Bill's era, the stuff lately, not so much.
I’ve read that the older, pre conversion guns, had a tighter bore and thus may be slightly more accurate than the later ones.

I have a ‘56 vintage flat gate that’s real accurate. Have not compared it to later ones.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22 mag from a single six gives slightly higher velocities than cci velocitor from a ruger 77 22 lr.

Never any cripples. I found the 50 grain 22 mag was most accurate.
Almost pointless to carry a 22 rifle if yah know how to shoot a revolver.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/15/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by frogman43
I was fortunate and won an auction for this early model Single Six (68-28XXX range) that was advertised with imitation Stag grips. Picked it up yesterday and was very happy, finish was much better than original photos showed.....

And I immediately suspected that the Stag grips were in fact real!

Closer inspection confirmed my suspicions, Sambar Stag grips from Ajax Grips, model 31's!

A trip to the range left me very happy with it's performance! Plan on keeping this one (has a little longer barrel than my newer model) and my son can have the newer model.

Great deals can be had if you take the time to find them....

Frog----OUT!

Very nice - great score!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
I’ve read that the older, pre conversion guns, had a tighter bore and thus may be slightly more accurate than the later ones.

I have a ‘56 vintage flat gate that’s real accurate. Have not compared it to later ones.

DF

I have an older one also. I'd read that the 22lr/22 mag convertibles had larger bores to accommodate the 22 mag. I'd always assumed this was the case with mine, but maybe not?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That’s a really nice find! IIRC the version with adjustable sights was/is called the Super Single Six and with drift adjustable rear sight, the Single Six. Mine is a Single Six with the extra cylinder that I bought from my high school Physics teacher in ‘68 for $69. 😁

If you haven’t already fired it, the 22 Mag has a very sharp muzzle blast. Wear your ear protection.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Outstanding.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Early Flat Gate Single Six, circa 1956.

This was a Christmas gift from my son several years ago. He had gotten it from a bud who had inherited it from his Grandfather. The boy is quite a trader, got it right.

Original grips were broken with pieces missing, so no way to repair them. That material evidently gets old and cracks. Replacement OEM grips are quite expensive and not that easy to find.

I fitted these ebony grips, installed the Ruger Medallions with Custom Pro Oil finish. I sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering and carving.

Not OEM, but IMO, much nicer. Due to the cost of replacement original grips, this approach was less expensive and I like it better.

Pictured with Ruger Wrangler, the old and the new. Wrangler not the quality (or cost) of the older gun, but shoots almost as good.

DF

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks gentlemen, I am more than pleased with it. Yes, the ad said "Imitation stag grips" on it and as soon as I picked it up at the FFL, I was pretty sure they were real. I had been bidding on a Blackhawk .357 with the same grips this seller had, but let it go......would have bid a little higher knowing they were real Sambar!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one in stainless 5.5 inch barrel, the 22 mag cylinder is in that gun most of the time. it is a noticeable step up in power from the 22lr. I shoot CCI 40 Hp's out of it @ 1400. I have tried the 50 gr load.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

This was a Christmas gift from my son several years ago. He had gotten it from a bud who had inherited it from his Grandfather. The boy is quite a trader, got it right.

Original grips were broken with pieces missing, so no way to repair them. That material evidently gets old and cracks. Replacement OEM grips are quite expensive and not that easy to find.

I fitted these ebony grips, installed the Ruger Medallions with Custom Pro Oil finish. I sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering and carving.

Not OEM, but IMO, much nicer. Due to the cost of replacement original grips, this approach was less expensive and I like it better.

Pictured with Ruger Wrangler, the old and the new. Wrangler not the quality (or cost) of the older gun, but shoots almost as good.

DF

Nice work on the grips.

I have a Super Wrangler, pretty decent for $260, a lot nicer than the regular Wrangler.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You did very well there!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice find! I’ve had a 5 1/2” stainless convertible for about 36-37 years. Hunted squirrels and Groundhogs with it. Great revolver!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JB in SC

DF

Nice work on the grips.

I have a Super Wrangler, pretty decent for $260, a lot nicer than the regular Wrangler.
Agree.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Had an OM Single Six convertible, but my brother really liked it and used it a lot more than I. Finally told him to keep it, figured I had a Colt New Frontier convertible, didn’t need two SA .22’s. Gave the Colt to a grandson last year so no more.22 convertibles, just my Smiths and various autos. That’s okay, never cared for.22 WMR in a revolver anyway.

I could change my mind, possibly, if I came across one like the OP got.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.