Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
When you are in the vehicle? I can count on one hand how many times my wife has driven with me. When I need to sleep for about 30 minutes or so from driving on a long trip or picking me up after knee surgery.

It has always looked odd to me to see a woman driving with a man in the car. Makes him look weak to me like a woman holding the door open for him or something.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She drives on her own, but not when I am in the vehicle with her.

Same for pumping fuel. We have fuel tanks at home and I don't think she has ever touched one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She does. But not well.

I get white knuckled when she drives me somewhere. I try and avoid that at all cost. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No. We both prefer it that way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Stickfight
She drives on her own, but not when I am in the vehicle with her.

Same for pumping fuel.

^^^This^^^

It is called being a gentleman and a man to me.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Designated driver

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbob
When you are in the vehicle? I can count on one hand how many times my wife has driven with me. When I need to sleep for about 30 minutes or so from driving on a long trip or picking me up after knee surgery.

It has always looked odd to me to see a woman driving with a man in the car. Makes him look weak to me like a woman holding the door open for him or something.

My wife will drive when I get sleepy, and within 5 minutes, I’m wide enough awake to drive again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Designated driver

Ok. That was another time for me, but the problem was that it sobered me right up and ruined my buzz. Dammit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She can drive or shoot anything of mine she wants

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Around here???
Usually some old mouth open parrot tongueing type being driven around by his magoo driving wife or a female relative.
To some medical appt.
( think wabigoon type)

Or some scumball with 27 DUI,s being driven to the liquor store or a drug dealer.

At least that is my impression...

IC B3

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Longbob

My wife will drive when I get sleepy, and within 5 minutes, I’m wide enough awake to drive again.

Jeezus there is a lot of truth in these posts. Hahaha!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
She’s gone now.
But she drove with me as a passenger often. She was a good driver. Why not.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Longbob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking bright and fair down there in Denton and you're all well.

Perhaps its more of a regional thing or even a Canadian rural thing, but in our case my wife and both of our girls are excellent drivers.

If we're going somewhere in the pickup and especially if we're dragging a trailer behind, then it's usually me at the wheel, but if we're in her SUV if it's a short trip its always her. On longer trips with it we'll switch off of course like when we ran up to Dawson City last summer, but local runs of a few hours or to the coast it's usually her.

When we're threading our way through a new city, we'll trade off driver/navigator duties, but I'd say she's as competent as I am.

An additional thought is that when I was working at a job where I'd either be behind the wheel of a 5 ton for too many days that week running back and forth to Vancouver on 18 hour days, the very last thing I wanted to do on the weekend was drive some more.

Our eldest daughter drove a parts runner car for an auto parts store for about a year so they're out in all weather conditions which means 5 months of greasy BC ice roads covered in wet snow. See Highway Through Hell for a reference of our winter conditions by the way. She also took both her BC driver's license exams in standard vehicles too, so she can drive a regular standard, but I don't think she's driven anything bigger than a one ton pickup with one.

When we were farming my wife would move our semi-trailer trucks around the yard for me sometimes, those were 13 speed Road Ranger transmissions if I'm not wrong.

Anyways sir as always there's many roads to Mecca and all that - and different drivers too.

Have a great weekend and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/16/23. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I met her in 1976, she drove like an old lady and I drove like a race car driver.
Now she drives like a race car driver and I drive like an old man.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I first met my wife she was driving a late 70s hotrodded shortblock V8 4on floor Chevy Luv. Loved to smoke the rear slicks. Her brothers built it, good thing one managed a tire store. 1980's best decade ever.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I drive.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Only when I am splashing/pulling boats and I need a drive from harbor to launch ramp. She drives like a maniac and it’s about the only time I put on a seatbelt in town.

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Longbob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking bright and fair down there in Denton and you're all well.

Perhaps its more of a regional thing or even a Canadian rural thing, but in our case my wife and both of our girls are excellent drivers.

If we're going somewhere in the pickup and especially if we're dragging a trailer behind, then it's usually me at the wheel, but if we're in her SUV if it's a short trip its always her. On longer trips with it we'll switch off of course like when we ran up to Dawson City last summer, but local runs of a few hours or to the coast it's usually her.

When we're threading our way through a new city, we'll trade off driver/navigator duties, but I'd say she's as competent as I am.

An additional thought is that when I was working at a job where I'd either be behind the wheel of a 5 ton for too many days that week running back and forth to Vancouver on 18 hour days, the very last thing I wanted to do on the weekend was drive some more.

Our eldest daughter drove a parts runner car for an auto parts store for about a year so they're out in all weather conditions which means 5 months of greasy BC ice roads covered in wet snow. See Highway Through Hell for a reference of our winter conditions by the way. She also took both her BC driver's license exams in standard vehicles too, so she can drive a regular standard, but I don't think she's driven anything bigger than a one ton pickup with one.

When we were farming my wife would move our semi-trailer trucks around the yard for me sometimes, those were 13 speed Road Ranger transmissions if I'm not wrong.

Anyways sir as always there's many roads to Mecca and all that - and different drivers too.

Have a great weekend and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

They certainly sound like good drivers. It would still feel odd to me for them to drive if I am up to it. Just me.

I know there are many ways to judge a good driver. Mine is pretty simple for either a man or a woman. Can they do two fundament things? Back a trailer and have the ability to follow in traffic or the open road without the lead driver having to constantly alter speed for them to catch up. That drives me to distraction (no pun intended).

Bonus points if the can do all that with a stick shift.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
She drives if we’re in her car and I drive if we’re in my truck.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
She does most of the driving, I go too fast.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 986 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.